juliegorsuch

granite composite sinks vs stainless steal

juliegorsuch
11 years ago
I am remodeling the kitchen. We are installing granite counters but we are having a hard time deciding between the granite composite sink or stainless steal sink. Can anyone give us some pros/cons or suggestions?

Comments (63)

• bilana
    7 years ago

thank you all for your info- its very helpful!

I'm looking for laundry room sink and not sure what is better SS vs composite? I don't see any other options available.

• Leonor Estrada de la Mora
    7 years ago

My sister in law has had a granite sink for over 45 years. I am remodeling my kitchen and have studied about granite sinks. Definitely, I have chosen to change from SS sink to a granite sink. I have studied which is the hardest, how they are sealed and how you can clean them once in a while if they get stained if they ever do.

I have bought a stone which will be carved to the length and depth I want my sink to be, as well as have chosen a design to be carved in the front view .

Once I am done with remodeling my kitchen I will load the pictures of the sink and my kitchen for anyone who wants to see it.

• PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    7 years ago

@Leonor You are talking about a real granite sink. Not a composite granite sink. There is the world of a difference.

• judyviaword
    7 years ago

I'm now considering the Krause composite. Are there still issues with water spotting/staining? I love the look and love to cook.

• mary_rogers64
    7 years ago

Judy, can you advise how you like the composite?

• johnsonap1023
    7 years ago

Would love to see any updates from those who do own a granite composite sink. We're considering buying one in white.

• PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    7 years ago

As an update:

This is from an industry materials engineer I spoke with at KBIS the National Kitchen and Bath Industry Show. He felt that the problems with granite sinks were most likely a thing of the past but still he couldn't guarantee it. He did say that the slight difference in the fabrication of the Quartz composite sinks made the same issues impossible for them. So I now recommend Quartz composite sinks to customers that won't go stainless for whatever reason. Elkay and other companies have many styles and colors. At least the Quartz composites have no track record of failure and I hate giving Blanco a second chance after they took the low road the last time. Fool me once ......

• autumnh
    6 years ago

We installed a black Blanco composite sink in our remodeled kitchen and love it. We have hard water and an active lifestyle. It doesn't show water spots and is easy to clean. After more than a year I much prefer it to our stainless steel sinks.

• diyher
    6 years ago

I bought a Blanco granite composite sink May 2014 but because of major delays beyond our control, the kitchen won't be finished until this year. Was just going to buy a large granite composite sink for my laundry room.

• Paromita
    6 years ago

Anyone come across Granitek ( Italian?)

• Marg McKenzie
    6 years ago
    I have Granitek and it's great. Good price at Home Hardware here in Canada. Clean with water vinegar mix. 2 yrs old no problems
  • hornche
    6 years ago
    I had a composite granite sink in my last home and loved it!! Does anyone know if composite granite sink can be used outdoors in Canada where there are extreme temperatures?
  • libbyannie
    6 years ago

I have a 14 year old Kindred granite composite sink in Slate colour (sort of a dark gray and it isn't made anymore) I have no complaints and in fact am looking for another as I am getting new counters and this sink is apparently a bit too big for the new counters. Also I have never had an issue with pouring boiling water on it etc.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

" I know there is probably a great warranty on the sink but the expense to replace in my granite would be huge."

Hour and a half, tops.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

" I am getting new counters and this sink is apparently a bit too big for the new counters."

libbyannie:

I've heard of sinks too big for cabinets, but never too big for countertops.

• diyher
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I agree with Joseph Corlett. I just had 2 granite composite sinks installed, both 33" one a double sink in the kitchen (BLANCO) and the other a single sink in the laundry room (ELKAY). I was told by both sink companies and also by the cabinet company that a 36" sink cabinet would fit the 33" sink. Yet the countertop installer said I should have really gone with a 37" sink cabinet that would be the smallest I could go to fit the 33" sink. They said it was a tight fit and the sink cabinet should have been 37" to fit better, but they found a way to make it work. I've had use of both sinks for 3 weeks now and only cleaning I've done is spraying water on it. Loving both sinks.

Assuming your counters are about 1 1/4" thick or at most 1 1/2"?

• diyher
    6 years ago

I just remembered, the kitchen sink was the one that fit tight, I did the standard dept 24" deep. The laundry room since I had a little more room I ordered a 27" deep because of the tall Vigo sprayer

Vigo VG02007 Zurich 1.8 GPM 1 Hole Pre Rinse Kitchen Sink Faucet - Stainless · More Info

• km kane
    6 years ago
    I HATE my composite sink! Sooo wish I would have stayed with stainless. I have the Blanco (Cinder color, I think), and it always has white-ish steaks on it. It also chipped and cracked within a few months. NEVER again!
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

"I was told by both sink companies and also by the cabinet company that a 36" sink cabinet would fit the 33" sink. Yet the countertop installer said I should have really gone with a 37" sink cabinet that would be the smallest I could go to fit the 33" sink."

All four are mistaken. A 33" sink will undermount in a 33" cabinet without any problems if it is strapped in place.

• diyher
    6 years ago

That I disagree with :) a 33" cabinet is the outer dimensions. A 33" sink won't fit inside since it would be a tight at least 31 to 32" space The cabinets need sides the go in on the top to square and hold it together. I forget the name of those pieces, I should know since I built all my Conestoga cabinets myself .

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

diyher:

How can you disagree with pictures of several 33" sinks being undermounted into 33" cabinets as in the link above?

Photoshop?

• diyher
    6 years ago

because I was there when they tried to fit the 33" sink and saw it wouldn't fit. They had to rip out one of the braces at the top in the cabinet on the standard 24.5" deep cabinet, but not with te 27" deep cabinet

• hornche
    6 years ago

Does anyone know if you can use a composite granite sink outdoors in an area where we have freezing winters and very hot summers?

• diyher
    6 years ago

Joseph, it was the standard depth of the base cabinet that was the problem, not the width. The 27" inch sink cabinet I bought for the laundry room was fine. The strange thing was the installers didn't use the sink clips I bought for the Elkay for that base and also didn't use the clips I was told to buy for the Blanco sink. I think they added their own wood pieces to hold it in like they did with the kitchen sink in the 24" deep by 38" wide cabinet

• diyher
    6 years ago

@Hornche, I don't think I would use a granite composite sink outdoors where you get freezing Winters and very hot Summers. You would have the sun beating down on the sink every day except night and rainy days and I would think any constant sun on a sink with color would fade it. The vinyl siding on my house started fading within 5 years, possibly sooner but not as noticeable to the that early. Go to a company such as Elkay or Blanco and email them to ask if you should use their sink outside.

• libbyannie
    6 years ago

When I said my Kindred sink is too big for the counter,. I am getting new granite counters and this sink I have is a drop in and I am switching to an undermount and so the depth (front to back) is a little big so that the granite that would run along front and back would be possibly too thin and crack. At least I think that was the installers concern. Regardless I can say I have had no complaints about my granite sink in 14 years.

• diyher
    6 years ago

so you already have the sink cabinet? I pulled out my sink cabinet from the wall by about 3-4 inches. So even thought the sink is tight within the base, I have more room from the back of the actual sink to the wall. I did much better with the laundry cabinet because I ordered it 27" deep

• djohnsonnp
    5 years ago

We installed a Blanc sink when we remodeled 2 years ago. We chose gray and love it. We did have a metal grid but they get so gross we took them out. Still no problems.

• diyher
    5 years ago

I'm still loving my 2 granite sinks since March

• Brian Arant
    5 years ago

We have had nothing but granite/quartz composite sinks since 2008. Will never go back to stainless. For those that worry about stains, the easiest way to clean them is with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Wet it and wipe the sink down with moderate pressure and then rinse. The kitchen sink still looks brand new.

• diyher
    5 years ago

I've had my 2 granite/quartz composite sinks since March 2018 and love them. Have not really had to scrub either of them. Barely have to clean them unless they get greasy food. I no longer have to buy sink cleaning products like Comet and Ajax. Just a light wipe with a sponge and whatever dish soap I am using at the time. Best sinks ever

• vinoella s
    5 years ago

those that love their composite sinks - can i ask what brands you have? thanks

• Aileen
    4 years ago
    3 Blanco sinks in our house since 2017. Low maintenance and never had a problem. Still look like new.
  • MLK K
    4 years ago

Does anyone have the Franke granite sinks? Any thoughts? I like the Peak with its ability to have a ledge to hold a rack and cutting board.

• lizannern47
    4 years ago

Would also like to know about Franke kitchen sinks If anyone would share their experience.

• HU-8125723
    4 years ago

I am shopping for a replacement kitchen sink and stumbled upon this website. I currently have a Franke “granite” sink. I am only replacing it because I hate it so much. It is the dark finish and looks terrible. The finish actually seems to be wearing off. I am not a great cook so it’s not like it gets heavy use. I am going back to stainless steel but haven’t decided exactly what I want yet.

• gab36
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have a dark gray Blanco composite granite kitchen sink that I love. Very easy to clean- still looks perfect after a year and a lot of use.

• mcgri0
    4 years ago

I have read that people have issues with composite granite sinks cracking and that you can't pour hot water into them. Specifically the Abey Schock had those reviews and that's the brand I was going to get. Now I'm not sure. Does anyone have experience with the Abey or other brands of the granite composite?

• Jora
    4 years ago

mcgri0 - I did a lot of research on sinks. I knew SS is out for us - we had one before and, being OCD when it comes to cleaning, although ours didn't have any scratches, it would stain often.

Read combo stories on granite composite sinks...especially Blanco.

We opted for Franke. Got ours installed last last year, and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Easy to clean, doesn't show stains, etc.

Hope this helps.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

You can pour boiling water into any sink without damage as long as you hit the disposal hole.

• Dana
    4 years ago

1 1/2 years later and still loving my Blanco sink. Will never go back to stainless steel sink

• queenem
    4 years ago

Does Anyone have an Elkay luxe sink. I would like to buy 1 for my new home

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

queenem:

While I've never owned one, I've sold and installed over 50 Elkay Quartz Luxe sinks. Not one single regret or callback. They are great sinks.

• nerdsicles
    3 years ago

Thoughts on white quartz/granite sinks? Worried about scratches.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

I just installed a Ricotta Elkay Quartz Luxe. It looks amazing, but I don't know about staining or performance yet.

Here's an acrylic Corian sink after an hour of love.

• A Dee
    3 years ago

Any experience with the Hansgrohe black composite granite sink? I'm considering this brand for my kitchen.

• PRO
    Archant
    3 years ago

Granite sinks are definitely rising in popularity and durability as manufacturers get better and better manufacturing processes.

And some of the newest finishes are an Asphalt or Silverstone colour are really nice!

Great article with videos available here https://archant.co.nz/articles/granite-sinks-the-new-dimension-for-your-kitchen

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Cracked, leaking, faded Blanco.

Flushed up the front rail seam.

Stainless steel Blanco in the same cutout.

Yeah, the reveals are off a tad. Looks fine and saved a lot of money.

• km kane
    3 years ago

Good job! The original looks like my faded cracked, crummy composite granite sink. Never again!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

I saved a piece of the faded part and am going to try to remember to see if I can refinish it.