marie_dzielak

Microwave dilemma

Marie Dzielak
9 years ago
My over the range microwave just went on me....after 28 years! When my kitchen was designed back then, the designer came up with a faux hood to put above it. A sort of "sleeve" was installed underneath, and the microwave slid in and was attached to the dudes of the sleeve.
I need to replace this appliance, but the dealers tell me the new ones won't fit into this sleeve installation and that I need a cabinet above the microwave to install it. My cabinets are no longer made, and I don't want to redo my entire kitchen. Any ideas????

Comments (15)

• cabingirl13
    9 years ago

Is there any place else in your kitchen you can put a new microwave. You could always add a shelf in line with the bottom of the cabinets and have cookbooks, spices, etc. up there if you can relocate the microwave.

• User
    9 years ago

Why don't you get a proper hood and a counter microwave oven? OTR microwaves are terribly expensive, don't do a very good job and style wise would also require a new range to look coordinated.

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

I don't agree with that. They vent as well as a regular hood exhaust if sized right & vented outside. Sometimes it is costly to have them vented outside, I agree with that. I have two OTR microwaves & neither were that expensive.

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

Can you post photos of the whole kitchen, please & maybe we can help.

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    9 years ago
    Do you have 30" of width? You could get this reframed at the proper height so you can hang a standard micro hood. You could get the new hood sheet rocked and painted your wall color.
  • Tonia Tussey
    9 years ago
    Take out what you have above your microwave now and install an open shelf. Make it high enough so you have 18-20 inches between bottom of microwave and range.(yours looks a little low). Then just replace with over the range microwave.
  • Marie Dzielak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The kitchen is small, but extremely efficient. I love to cook and cook every day and bake once a week. I have no counter space to spare. I was thinking of having a carpenter or cabinetmaker create a shelf ABOVE microwave to support and hold cookbooks and get rid of the "hood." For 28 years, I had no problems with the microwave, nor its convection function, nor the vent. It does vent to the outside through this hood.

• D DN
    9 years ago
    Try a local cabinet maker. They may have great ideas and can match the color of your cabinets at least.
  • Malgorzata Lesniewski
    9 years ago
    Honestly ... Don't get a microwave. They are very very very unhealthy! Look up some info and read about it ...
  • Marie Dzielak
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all your suggestions. I think I will call in a cabinetmaker
  • PRO
    Grusby Woodworks LLC.
    9 years ago

I agree with some of the other posts. You should be able to have someone come in and mount plywood and bracket it to be structurally sound, and mount a new microwave to it. They may need to take out the sleeve that's currently above your microwave to increase the space available. Also, do check about height clearances. From the picture, it does look quite low, and not up to code in my area (and more importantly not safe). Good luck.

• PRO
    Mason Elliott Designs
    9 years ago

Depending on how the hood is designed you should be able to remove the microwave and be able to mount a ledger board to fasten it to .

• Marie Dzielak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a unique idea!

• classysass
    8 years ago
    That's perfect. Good job.