gioenne_rapisarda

Yay or nay? Toilet showers!

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

A lot of people do it but does that mean it's cool? Cast your vote and comment your thoughts!

Luigi Rosselli Architects - Balcony Over Bronte ยท More Info

Yay - dual purpose rules
Nay - wet feet suck

Comments (49)

• 8 years ago

No...just no...no...no.

• 8 years ago

Yuk.

• 8 years ago
    I suppose it makes it easier to tidy up...but not for me. I would prefer a bidet.
  • 8 years ago

not my style

• 8 years ago

It's bad enough that people have toilets in the bathroom already. Let alone in the shower.

• 8 years ago

Just wondering...why? So people are not tempted to pee in the shower? If so, great!

• 8 years ago

When I had the Clostridium Difficle which went on for nearly a year, I can guarantee a dunny in the shower would have been more than welcomed! However, normalcy has been obtained and I really don't think it is a nice thing to be showering where you sh.................shouldn't!

• 8 years ago

I'm with lrosenblatt67 - toilets should be totally separate to bathrooms, even in ensuites. Some things are just not meant to be shared!

• 8 years ago

no way, who thought this idea up? I don't even like toilets in the bathroom, privacy please. Just No ...!!

• 8 years ago

This is an unnusual one!

Given that all things with everyone are "normal" I'm with all voting in the negtive for every reason given. However...with junipergirl, I can appreciate how such a set up as depicted could be a very helpful one, but not necessary normally.
    With irosenblatt67 - .I do not know why, when people can afford to build such spacious, designerly homes, that the toilet now goes in the bathroom rather than in a separate room. My ideal would be a toilet with a commodious wash basin nearby or actually in the toilet room...and a cabinet where to store hygenic/ health items as well as toilet paper (rather than have those silly toilet paper receptacles sitting on the floor, to trip over and to pick up and clean, especially when some male has aimed incorrectly...YUK, or when some little boy decides it would be fun to try to aim into it...Mmmm?
    YAY for ther bidet seat with all the bells and whistles or a simple hand held 'rinser' attached to the loo.
    Where's the sensitive modern designers' consideration for the human condition and all its nuances?
    Maybe this loo in the shower caters to some custom brought into our society that we are not familiar with? Could it be minimalism in the extreme? There must be more to this weird idea!
    Is it supposed to be a Wet Room?
    The scenarios involving babies in nappies and the elderly and incontinent would be facilitated by having a toilet in or near a wash area... but a shower with a lone loo and no other commodities seems a bit sparse.
    @deanli14...true what you say, it happens in the bath too, but would one bother to or even manage getting to the loo?
    @stonehurst001 dry toilet paper...in that loo/ shower? The toilet paper holder in the photo is empty...maybe they haven't worked that out yet either !
    There seems to be more... to read so I'm going to read that. Maybe I'll be converted.

• 8 years ago

I would think it would be a safety/ trip hazard in a wet area.

• 8 years ago

@ ozocoley sorry, didn't get your meaning. What would be a 'sefety/trip hazard in a wet area void of any accessories on the floor whatsoever ? Maybe the large expanse of shiny marble floor tiles and the absence of hand rails? You may have a point there!

• 8 years ago

@ladyrob1 as in slipping in the shower and hitting your head on the toilet on the way down. Maybe I'm paranoid but I like the shower to be free of obstacles.

• 8 years ago

@ ozcoley.. OH, I get it! You do not like the toilet in the shower...in case you slip and hit your head on it?! I agree! A shower is a shower! A bathroom is a bathroom...maybe with a washbasin and a little storage for towels and toiletries etc....and a toilet deserves its own room...none of which should have things on the floor taking up space in case people trip on them!
    PRECISELY! Having a dense day here. Maybe because I got such a shock seeing a wee loo stuck on the wall in a shower! Very strange sight!

• PRO
    8 years ago

We like our privacy when we are on the toilet. This sort of set-up may be come necessary if you were in a wheelchair so I would not rule it out completely. When I design a house I always have a separate toilet including in ensuites. The clients only get a toilet pan in their bathroom if they stab me and threaten my grand-kids.

• 8 years ago

Ok...I'm having a curmudgeon moment but I've looked at this again...no clue why...but at this moment, I am struck with the words "prison cell". We have been shown two extremes in toilet placements this month. One was the literal library room complete with velvet sofa and now this. Perhaps extreme is what these designers are going for. Neither works for me. Sometimes we just need a functional room with just enough form to soften the harsh realities.

• 8 years ago

In our old bathroom the toilet sat directly under the shower, so it always was wet. On the other hand, hygiene has never been so easy...

• 8 years ago

Have no idea why some houses have such strange toilet set-ups! Here's one I will never forget. On a 100acre property someone built a funny little cottage a-la Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Outsode very cute, inside very weird. The toilet had to be of necessity, a septic but no need for these extremes... They'd situated the pedestal on top of a three tier platform and you had to climb the steps to get to it. The toilet roll holder was suspended from the roof by wires and would swing and hit you in the head...and...there was a TV on a shelf to watch your favourite program whilst sitting on your throne...a new dimension to the title "The Throne". There seemed to be only one explanation for such a weird little house.....

• 8 years ago

According to the article byline: 'a lot of people do it'. Is this true? I have never heard of it. If someone has just showered, and I go to the toilet, I have to walk through/stand in a puddle. As others have said, how do you keep the TP dry? There seem to be a lot of negatives, and not too many positives. I'm not sure what I'm missing, but I see almost no benefit to this arrangement.

• 8 years ago
    Eww. No. I've never seen this before but now I can't unsee it!
  • 8 years ago

@ Jacinta O'Brien...seems strange to me that we accept and maybe expect a toilet in a bathroom....you know, a bath, a shower cubicle or shower over bath, a basin and often also a toilet....yet this toilet in shower arrangement puts many people off. Its not far removed from the now generally acceptable "wet room", just add a small basin off the floor and you'd have it.

Wonder what, exactly, is it that provokes the " Eww" response? Can you explain why you strongly dislike this set up, Jacinta? I'm curious. Maybe is it that there seems to be no privacy? Maybe is it that imagining going to the toilet in a shower room.....well I don't know why I don't like it either! Recall being hospitalised...the toilet was at the opposite end of a shower cubicle, both had shower curtains across the front for easy access by nursing staff in an emetgency. I was in the loo and another lady was in the shower confiding that she felt embarassed in that set up. I did too...knowing that a nurse could walk in on me at any instant.

Suppose it would feel much the same in that shower/ toilet....maybe worse...you would be sitting behind a glass enclosure in full view...wonder if that's it? Wonder if the loo had a curtain? Wonder if the glass were frosted? it would do nothing for the design factor but might take the edge off...whatever it is that is bothering some 'viewers'.

Bought a house that had a very small ensuite off the master bedroom...just a long space with a loo at one end, a small basin in the middle and a square shower-bath at the other end...the shower bath had a curtain..Wherher that was to prevent splashing on the floor or not remains a mystery. Sometimes we both used the ensuite together....The little room had a sliding door...often wondered if this were to do with odour control or privacy....

Is it a privacy issue with this loo/shower?

This is a good thought-provoking poll Gioenne!

• 8 years ago
    Hmm I think they are actually separated .... There is a full floor to ceiling sheet of glass separating the toilet from the shower no wet floor or wet toilet paper... Lots of bathrooms have a toilet ... Particularly ensuites and if you really look most are beside the shower!
  • 8 years ago
    Why????
  • 8 years ago

@aleta1 an Tilly....not separated, that line you see is the end of the sliding glass panel to access the...mmm...'ensemble'. Why is the question Tilly! Its all a bit of a brain teaser.

• 8 years ago
    gross
  • 8 years ago

Ladyrob1.... Hmm I disagree, I'd have to see pic from another angle to be convinced. There is no end or join seam on the tiles either the left or right side wall for it to be a Sliding panel, also no track in the ceiling to support such a big heavy sliding panel of glass and no "double up"of glass in sight ...one would need to be slightly overlapped somewhere? The lines in the floor I believe are concealed drain not tracks. I'm convinced the black line is a "perfectly dead on" photo of the edge of a floor to ceiling panel of glass dividing the two. Are there any other photos of the rest of this bathroom?

• 8 years ago

I think I figured it out. The dark line we see in the middle of the picture actually separates the toilet from the shower area. At least according to the floor plan I found.

balcony-over-bronte-architecture-by-luigi-rosselli-architects

Balcony Over Bronte by Luigi Rosselli Architects | HomeDSGN ยท More Info

[houzz=[https://www.houzz.com/photos/balcony-over-bronte-architecture-by-luigi-rosselli-architects-phvw-vp~35565760[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/balcony-over-bronte-architecture-by-luigi-rosselli-architects-phvw-vp~35565760)]

I'm having some trouble pulling the floor plan from my Ideabook so if the above link isn't working I'll see what else I can do.

Anyway, it looks to me, after seeing the floor plan, that the glass divides the shower and the toilet, there is no "door" into either and the lines we see on the floor are likely drainage for the shower. I'm guessing the darker gray rectangle on the floor has something to do with drainage as well.

• 8 years ago

OH... and no...that doesn't make me like the look any better but at least we know how the toilet paper could stay dry.

• 8 years ago

The shower head seems to be above the right-side of the enclosure, so unless you get really active in your shower, I don't think the shower water would splash clear over, endangering the toilet tissue. I agree, however, that this is a pretty weird set-up. I think designers sometimes think they have to do something new to impress but, in my opinion, not everything new is an improvement over the old.

• 7 years ago
    Gross, gross, gross.
    1) poo particles can fly into the air and settle on areas around the toilet, if the lid is not down when flushed.
    2) why would I want to look directly at the toilet while I shower? Shudder.
    3) sorry to get graphic, but any lingering 'odours' would not be conducive to a pleasant bathing experience.
    4) wet everything! Gross!
  • 7 years ago

Ha Ha! Here we are again! What a really silly design...and I'm no architect. For Heaven's and Humans' sake, lets get the American idea of "Going to th Bathroom" out of our heads and have a separate loo...called either a Toilet or a Privy and a Bathroom...where one actually bathes..and, if we must...have a Bidet in the Toilet for washing "down there" if we must...or a Shataff, = a little shower to hose your nether regions if you must. A Toilet is a LOO where you...ehem..."do your business" or poo, and a Bathroom or Shower is where you wash the rest...How hard is that?

• 7 years ago

I thought it could be a good idea for my tiny tiny tiny ensuite, where I bang my knee on the loo every time I go in there, but then again where would I keep the loo paper?

• 7 years ago

I would have thought that all arguments for and against would have been exhausted by now. On revisiting this ridiculous idea and still wondering what's so amazing about it architecturally-designerly...trying to get inside the head of the designer...I'm still stumped and...well..Yuked! Makes no sense to me but then I might be stuck in theremote yesteryear where there was "Aunty's or The Dunny down the back yard a bit ( and that made sense even despite there was no sewerage. A) people regarded the smell as one unsuitable to be wafting through the other rooms in the house, and that's just common sense. B) when to loo came inside it was commonly built near the back door in a room of its own,,,which still left regard for privacy of smells and sounds with respect to the rest of the house..but maybe a bit inconvenient...hence the phrase: "Gotta run to..." C) then with the advent of better soundproofing and more advanced thinkinf the little room got moved to somewhere near the middle of the house so to be more accessible...and there were building codes that prvented it from being near the kitchen. D) then loos were commonly found just off the laundry...and THEN, as more affluent people began bulding Mc Mansions the loo became part of the bathroom...suppose thats where the American speak "going to the bathroom" came in. However, despite what era we consider, its always my opinion that the loo should have a room of its own with a door. And now we have more money to dedicate to design why not a double room, modelled on the public 'restrooms' in shopping malls...the loo in a room with a door all of its own (and that it be a commodious room that can be later if neds be, fitted out for home occupants with disabilities)...Attached, a second room or "wash room" containing a nice wash basin and towels and-or a hand air dryer, and maybe somewhere to sit...maybe somebody might need to change an item of clothing or to adjust what they are already wearing and do a light "wash up"...One would enter the "washroom" area first, then throught the inner door to the loo if needed. Apart from all that...I like the idea of a bidet-loo, the shattaf or a pedestal and a separate bidet bowl, For the life of me I cannot comprehend why anyone would think they'd invented a luxury loo by putting an ordinary-looking non glamourous pedestal in a shower room. Ensuites to bedrooms are a great idea providing they are well insulated and that the loo is separate. What more is there to say except...I hate it!

• 7 years ago

Impractical!

• 7 years ago

This is the most irritating type of bathroom I have ever been to in a hotel once in Singapore. It was a nightmare as every time you need to pee, you need to wipe the entire floor, walls and toilet seat dry before you use. I actually had to buy a dozen pack of hand towels during my 4 night stay (thank goodness it was just 4 nights) in this hotel as I had to wipe down everything before I pee. It really feels yuk to have wet feet. It is such a big no no.

• 7 years ago

A big no!

• 6 years ago

Gee that's a tough one...umm no.

• 6 years ago

Seeing this discussion again reminded me of a recent sale listing in which the plan showed a separate toilet cubicle at one end of the ensuite but the photo shows the layout was changed when built and the toilet was moved to a central and very visible location right next to the freestanding bath. It looked like a luxury bathroomware showroom but if I were paying so much for a house to live in I'd expect the luxury of privacy and practicality.

Perhaps the most luxurious ensuite I have seen was in a display home where the his and hers toilets though not completely separate were each behind a privacy wall.

• 6 years ago

Well here we are yet again! I've not changed my opinion. The toilet-loo-privy- whatever one wants to call it needs a room of its own. Makes no sense to me having a "privacy wall" behind which to hide the pedestall if it is placed in a shower or full bathroom...the locked bathroom door is all that's needed. Seems to me that the concept of a separate toilet room or "Powder Room" (Why that title is anyone's guess)...was a sensible and accepted concept of homes in the 50's. It wasn't in need of any "polite" title, it was simply referred to as "The Toilet"..meaning basically -".where to freshen up". My idea of a perfectly sensible toilet is a separate little room housing the pedestal (toilet bowl) and a little basin with running water. Optional- a paper hand towel dispenser or one of those blowers...or a small towel rack and/or a nook for toilet paper...mabye to accomodate wet wipes in the absence of a basin or even where there's a basin....a nice comfy little Toilet Room..

• 6 years ago
    I like the 3 way bathrooms of the 80s, not sure why they fell out of favour.
  • 6 years ago

That's the first I've heard of the "three way bathroom"...could you please explain?

• 6 years ago

I took it to mean an ante-room with vanity and leading off it one room for the wc and another room for the shower and bath.

• 6 years ago

Thanks for that , macymaples but I'm finding it difficult to imagine, don't think I'v ever seen one in my travels

• 6 years ago

I'd draw a sketch if I knew how to attach it to a post.

So I looked for a plan and found this one, if you look at the upstairs plan there is a vanity labelled Van and through one door is the wc and through the other door is the bathroom. In that example there is a second vanity in the bathroom but sometimes the bathroom only has the bathtub and the shower.

http://www.classicconstructions.com.au/quality-homes/design-listing/design/brighton/

Though I am now second guessing if that's what me me meant? They have not fallen out of favour here.

• PRO
    6 years ago

I think it looks separate enough in the image above to stay dry!

But reading everyone's concerns I'd love to hear your thoughts on setups like this. I've seen a similar double toilet room setup in a restaurant in Berlin!

• 6 years ago

Um . . . .

Oh, I just remembered, didn't they have double toilets at the Sochi Olympics?

• 6 years ago
    Double toilets??? Aaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhhh!!!
  • 6 years ago

As space gets smaller and the need to maximise rooms increases..this will be a common place design feature in the near future...very common and acceptable in Asia. As are laundries in kitchens in Europe. Its what you use to and as we adapt to smaller multipurpose rooms this will become the norm.