Glued vs floating LVP on slab?

Angie S
8 years ago
Opinions?

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

We have dri-core and then a floating LVP on a basement floor I like that the dri-core keeps it from being to cold.

Angie S thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

Floating = easiest; glue down = most prone to problems if the installers get it WRONG...but once it is down it is the most stable.

That means, you guessed it, it all comes down to the knowledge of the installer, the preparation for the concrete slab (again, knowledge of installer), the tests done to prove the "dryness" of the slab (again, knowledge of installer) and then the proper choice of adhesive for the moisture level in the slab (yep...again the knowledge of the installer is key).

Glue down is normally a slightly cheaper option (Karndean has a cheaper plank for the glue down application) but the glue and the extra labor then add quite a bit of "extra costs" to the install. As much as 50-100% more expensive than floating.

A floating vinyl plank/tile, requires a plastic sheet over the properly prepared concrete (should cost $0.50 - $2/sf depending on how "bad" the concrete is) and then the vinyl goes straight over top the plastic sheet. Done. No under pad is "required" (nor allowed for most vinyl).

How many installers/homeowners "miss" the plastic sheet? Too many to count. Preparation and moisture knowledge/mitigation will dictate which option you work with.

My question becomes, which brands are you looking at? Not all vinyl planks are allowed to be glued.

Angie S thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • PRO
    M Squared Flooring & Design Centre
    8 years ago

As others have mentioned the floating floor is the easiest to install and somewhat foolproof. But not all floating vinyl planks are created equal. Depending on the thickness of the vinyl plank the clic mechanism will be different. There are vinyl planks on the market that look and feel like laminate flooring. They are thicker and easier to install. They actually install just like laminate flooring. Torlys has a product that has an antimicrobial and antibacterial cork underlay attached. It is very easy to install and a warm and durable product. Other companies have similar products, as well but they won't have the underlay attached. And most vinyl flooring will not allow for underlay under the vinyl because it can jeopardize the integrity of the joints.

Glue down products may cost you less for the product but will cost you more for installation and proper preparation of the subfloor. So my suggestion is do research on the products available and then decide from there.

Angie S thanked M Squared Flooring & Design Centre
  • Angie S
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for your help! I have been looking at the Karndean glue down, Shaw New Market 20 glue down, and Shaw Floorte. These will be professionally installed by a flooring company (chosen by the renovation company--we had washing machine leak-- our insurance company assigned to us). The flooring guy came out and seemed knowledgeable as I asked all of the questions I could think of through my research. My choices have been influenced by both my research and the aesthetics of the product. In the end, I want to find a quality product that will have the look I want (I like the Floorte' but I do not love the design of any of the 20 mil planks they have in that line. I've been back and forth a thousand times and it's time to make a decision. Does anyone have a favorite product that they use and why? Other than knowledge and experience of installer, is there a reason I should choose one over the other (glue down vs floating)?

• PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    8 years ago
    No doubt floating is cheaper but the issue also involves the length and width of the run. You may or may not need transitions. Modin Collection from Flooret (on Houzz and web) is a very substantial LVP with twice the wear layer (40 mils) of the best Karndean LVP line (Art Select, 20 mils). Modin comes in 9" X 60" planks 5 mm thick. Can click lock or glue down. $3.49 SF, lifetime warranty. We considered Karndean Art Select but labor plus product was $10 SF.

Glue down any brand requires pro install or experiences DIYer. I would talk to Devin Scott at Flooret about your situation. I've gotten good advice from him that runs counter to maximizing his profit. Modin may or may not be right for you but before investing $$$ I would invest in a phone call.

This pic shows the thickness of Karndean Opus (top) compared to Modin.
    Angie S thanked Hal Braswell Consulting
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

@Hal...nice to hear that I'm not the only sales rep that will make sure a client is right for my product! Sounds like Mr. Scott will vet his clients just as much as clients vet his product. Nice to know that someone else cares! Thanks for posting names for contacts. That's a great place to go when making a final decision.

• Katie
    8 years ago

We have a slab & I chose glue down because I HATE that plastic clicking sound that most floating laminate makes when you walk on it. Because it's a slab and can hold moisture, our contractors told us that to the only hardwood they would glue down on a slab would be engineered wood. It was a while ago so I don't remember why, but they basically said that you wouldn't glue down laminate- you would only float laminate. I'm very happy with our choice but I WILL say that if you can afford it, you should see about putting some sort of under-floor heating. It is well worth it and since it is way more efficient than forced air, it really cuts down on heating bills.

Good luck!!

Angie S thanked Katie
  • Angie S
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hal, Thank you! I'm going to look into Modin, as you suggested. I like the idea of 9x 60 and 5mm thick!

• Rusty Empire
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Has anyone asked yet if this is above or below grade? For below grade we rolled out Dimpex membrane (similar to dri-core concept) then fastened 3/4" T&G ply over top. We can now fasten a underlayment over top as an option and then install glued LVP or similar. I feel this is the best option as it functions similar to a breathable vapor barrier and sub floor over our pre-60s slab.

Angie S thanked Rusty Empire
  • Angie S
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Rusty, above ground. Would this still apply?

• PRO
    DirectBuy of Fort Worth
    8 years ago

Installed properly and both will perform almost the same with glue down edging out the win in the long run due to potential separation issues with loose lay in some installs.

• PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    8 years ago
    I will also add the Modin lifetime residential warranty is unaffected by whether pro or DIY installed. But if you need help they can suggest someone in many areas. Modin is a relatively unknown brand, in part because it is not sold through a network of authorized dealers. It has a U.S. Green Building Council seal.
    Here are two samples clicked together, Imber on the left and Barin on the right. We are ordering Imber.
  • scottymacsflooring
    8 years ago

I only recommend floating click LVT or LVP if the floor is extremely level. When using them it is best to use an underlayment. You must use the proper underlayment, I like the product dBCover. Concrete is never perfectly smooth. So you must level the floor because minor unevenness will cause the flanges to crack, even on a high quality product. This dBcover product handles moisture extremely well if there's any concern on that end. You can also glue this product to the subfloor and glue LVT or LVP to it. LVT and LVP are better acoustically than floating laminate or floating hardwood, dBcover will add to the that as well. I've used the product Kinecto floor (its a LVP product) in a few nursing homes and it is a good product for floating applications. It is very easy to install, but I still recommend hiring a professional.

• montak14
    7 years ago

scottymacsflooring,

I would like your opinion. I like the product Aqua Lok and it is a click together floor (floating) that the manufacturer said I could glue down with a certain glue/adhesive. Would you suggest gluing down the dBcover to the concerete and then gluing the floating floor to the dBcover? I definitely do not want a hollow sounding floor nor do I want it shifting around, but I really like this product for it's thickness and colors. The straight glue down LVT is so thin and my husband is leary of just a floating, so we are trying to combine the two. Thoughts?

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

The dBcover is an acoustic and thermal underpad that is allowed under certain vinyl planks. The AquaLok is a rather thick vinyl plank (7mm thick) which makes me ask: what is in the middle. I cannot, for the life of me, find anything that talks about the construction. This is a BIG red flag in my book.

The Unilin click system is the Uniclic system when produced in Asia. The wear layer is 12mil which is "average" but not outstanding.

I want to know what makes this product so thick. Is it a fibre board core or is it more plastic/vinyl?

These are REALLY good questions to ask before you decide to glue down over an underlay that might be allowed with this product. I can't find installation instructions...again another red flag.

• Angie S
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Glad We went with floating floor. Absolutely love our LVP!
  • corkjack
    7 years ago

Way did you m use Angie

• jjhammond50
    7 years ago

What did you use???

• silken1
    6 years ago

Has anyone used EZ Lay (EZGrip and EZFit) LVP? I just bought it but haven't installed it. It is 5mm thick with a 20mil wear layer. Not a click lock but supposedly can be laid unglued except just the perimeter should be done. Looks really good and has a fiberglass core so is not supposed to shrink, expand or curl up. But I sure can't find many reviews or user experience.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    6 years ago

I've been contacted by the technical rep in our area (Western Canada). They have written a statement for us that says our cork underlay is allowed to be used underneath their vinyl. After reading about their product (out of Korea), I'm impressed with what the floors can "go through" when compared to other vinyl products.

There are two different forms of install: the "perimeter glue" with loose lay or "full spread" glue down. If you use cork underlay (they allow up to 4mm cork for underlay = thickest cork allowed under vinyl that I have found) then the full spread adhesive (both cork and vinyl require full spread glue) is the way to go.

The vinyl they produce can handle in-floor radiant heat (which is VERY common in Korea) and they can handle "direct sunlight" for a longer period of time before things go sideways.

This is one of two vinyls that have offered us a written statement saying cork is allowed (and recommended) under their planks. And that impresses the heck out of me! It is a rare, rare thing.

• Angie S
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We went with the Coretec plus. Floating floor installed rather than glue down. We are IN LOVE with these floors. Absolutely Beautiful, wear well, and have held up beyond any expectation with two large English Bulldogs. No scratches. no spots or stains. Look exactly like they did when they were installed in April of 2016. Would not hesitate to get them again or recommend to anyone. especially great for a house where the floor gets a lot of wear and tear from dogs!

The second picture is an adequate representation of the color. The first picture has some lighting issues, but you can get the idea of what they look like installed. There are additional pictures on my Houzz profile page.

• silken1
    6 years ago

Cancork Floor Inc, Thanks for the feedback. I have looked at a number of different LVP floorings for the past year or two. Part of the challenge is finding a brand that doesn't have reviews stating the planks started lifting or scratch easily etc. Then when you find a durable brand, getting a colour and wood look that works is a challenge. I am doing the floor in our entire log cabin. 1080 sq. ft. Not huge but it will be a challenge. I love that the EZ Lay can be loose lay except for the perimeter. I still may do a total glue down but part of the loose lay appeal was the ability to replace a plank easily in the future. I have been told that the glue is an easy release glue that if heated with a hair drier, it will release a plank. I am also pleased with the wood patterns and found a colour that works for us. The sample plank seemed extremely durable as well.

It is odd that there are no reviews from past customers out there. Hopefully it is because they are all happy! The store I got it from said they put it in a lot of commercial places and care homes etc.

• blaze_1508
    6 years ago

AngieS....it's nice to hear you like the coretec plus. We've been trying to decide whether to put it in a basement but if we do LVP, we'll probably choose coretech; we found a color we really like. Just wish it wasn't so expensive!! :)

Thanks for posting pics.

Angie S thanked blaze_1508
  • Angie S
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@corkjack and @jjhammond50, sorry for delayed response. Just seeing your inquiries for some reason. We had the Coretec plus productinstalled in the majority of our first floor. We actually found the ones we had installed at PRoSource and they had it under the name of Resista Plus. The color was Hyram Oak (pics in above post). This was April 2016. At that time, US Floors was the manufacturer. Apparently, Shaw industries has since purchased US Floors for the sole purpose of acquiring this product. (I have a friend who is heading up the project at Shaw). We are extending these floors into the rest of our first floor living space in June. I cannot recommend this floor highly enough. We get tons of compliments. It's extremely durable and is easy to care for.

• jennifer arndt
    5 years ago

We're looking at Audura Mannington luxury vinyl planks for our basement - any thoughts on glue down versus floating? Is that a good brand? Will my basement be pretty cold - we do not have heat in the concrete floor? And what should I expect on cost? 1st bid came in very high - $9000 for a 600' basement (with baseshoe around perimeter) and removing the current carpet.