houzzukpolls

Share your everyday home hacks!

HouzzUK Polls
8 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Do you have some tricks around the home that you could share with the Houzz community?

Tell us about those way that you get things done quicker, nifty ways to store common items, or maybe it's the way that you always remember where to find your keys! Perhaps you use olive oil on squeaky door hinges or you place onions in the fridge prior to use stops the tears when it comes time to chopping them up...

List your life hacks below and we can all learn from each other ...

Like these ones above, it would be great to see photos of how you do what you do.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    ZLC Energy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I don't have any current hacks, but I love the Sugru website, they have loads https://sugru.com/

• Lauren
    8 years ago

Used to hate the sticky messes the plastic cooking oil bottle would inevitably leave after a while. Bought a lovely vintage glass bottle and a 'typhoon' cork pourer and its such a joy to use - no more mess and looks lovely on the kitchen counter!

• Lauren
    8 years ago

Also ice cubes left to melt and dry in carpet indents from furniture feet to bring the fibres back up.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

A cleaner.. Make bircher muesli the night before then there's something lovely for breakfast... A coffee machine that filters a fresh pot at the pre set time each morning.. : ))

• Catherine Hounslow
    8 years ago

When taking a short break from painting doors etc .-- cover the remaining paint that's left in the painting tray with cling film . It wont form a skin and will be okay to return to after a short break from painting .

• msclelluk
    8 years ago
    Put sandwich bags over paint brush bristles with an elastic band, will keep the bristles soft & stop the paint drying out until the next day, and saves washing them out. Works with rollers too ... Just keep in a cool room.
  • lorentzville
    8 years ago

Switch your watch or wedding ring to the opposite hand to help you remember something you need to do! NEVER fails!!

• Pam Hill
    8 years ago

don't lift sandwiches from chopping board to sandwich box - up-end the box over the sandwich, and turn the whole thing, board and all, over. simple!

• PRO
    DesignWorks
    8 years ago

I use baby shampoo (the 'no tears' version) to hand wash cashmere sweaters. It's so soft and delicate and works a treat!

• Mea Rice
    7 years ago

The most important task in the kitchen is learning how to make a good cup of tea, so I'm sharing this wonderful infographic from https://www.larkandlarks.co.uk/the-lark/make-perfect-cup-tea-2294