tommyflan

POLL: Bathroom or cloakroom?

Tom Flanagan
8 years ago

Practically speaking it's nice to have both a bathroom and a cloakroom, but ultimately that's just not always affordable. Still, we're all about dreaming here on Houzz!

So when it comes to the toilet in your home, do you prefer having it separately (a cloakroom) or as part of a wider wash-space (bathroom)?

Vote and comment below and share your thoughts!

Yes - I'd rather have the toilet and the bathroom separately!
Bathroom - I like it all in one space
Other - tell us!

Comments (16)

• J&R K
    8 years ago

Ideally, I'd want a toilet in any bathroom, but if I could only have one toilet in the property, for me a separate one is essential. Otherwise, if someone is having a leisurely soak in the bath and someone else is desperate to use the toilet, you've got a problem. We are combining the separate bathroom and toilet in our current renovation, but also adding an en-suite toilet was a priority (no space to include a shower, unfortunately). If we hadn't been able to do that, we would have kept the bathroom and toilet separate.

• PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    8 years ago

Having been raised in the USA, where the 1/2 bath is often combined with the laundry space, it's much nicer to have it separate if possible. Since the toilet is often for the use of guests, why would you want your laundry on show?

However, if the combination of toilet and laundry room would allow a shower, then that's an even better option!

• PRO
    Kibre Ltd
    8 years ago

Having the toilet separated from the bathroom is a rather dated look in todays world unless it is a downstairs guest toilet.

• PRO
    Seamless Abutment Solutions
    8 years ago

We prefer to have the bathroom separate.

• J&R K
    8 years ago

Kibre Ltd, I agree that combined bathrooms and toilets are more popular these days. Perhaps that it because most homes (well, at least most houses) now have more than one toilet, whether a separate downstairs cloakroom or one or more en-suites, removing the need for the sole toilet to be more accessible.

• Victoria Chilvers
    8 years ago

I find that most of my clients are opting for a combined bathroom and toilet space

• Joanna Biddolph
    8 years ago

Both, if space allows. I am lucky to have a house with a bit of extra space so have a shower room with a loo in it and a separate loo with a basin. My regret is that the layout of the house didn't allow for the separate loo and basin to be on the ground floor (what a first world problem!). But I've been really glad to have both options.

• PRO
    Versital UK
    8 years ago

Ideally it is nice to have a WC as well as a main bathroom, but otherwise, a bathroom with the toilet built in just makes more sense.

• Tracey Scattergood
    8 years ago
    We have a guest who is in a wheelchair, to be able to have a all in bathroom like the picture on the left on the ground floor would be great.
  • paul kershaw
    8 years ago
    I grew up in a house where the toilet was separate from the bathroom, so that arrangement seems normal to me. What makes me prefer that now is the hygiene aspect - when you flush a toilet, apparently some fecal matter becomes aerosolised and can settle on your toothbrush, towels, etc...yummy!
    Having a shared bathroom and taking a shower after someone else has 'dropped their kids off at the pool', isn't particularly pleasant and air-freshener just highlights the issue.
  • PRO
    hbc for bathrooms
    8 years ago

Easier with a family.

• sarah beazley
    8 years ago

2 spaces are sometimes better than 1

• PRO
    Geo Sky Construction Limited
    8 years ago

It is cost-effective way

• mjdbeech
    7 years ago

If you've got a lot of people in the house, the more loos the better.

• PRO
    Urban Retreat Interiors
    7 years ago

Even when space is limited it always seems less outdated when the two are combined. When together it appears to give a feeling of grandeur and feels complete when there is a toilet in the bathroom. Practically I agree separation has its benefits; great for families and the when the laundry area is combined: its not totally visible to visitors, but to me it feels like my childhood feelings of the 70s; outside toilet syndrome.