natalie_andrews34

Colour for banisters - F&B

Natalie Andrews
8 years ago
Hello fellow Houzz-ers

Could do with some help on paint colours for the banisters, both up the stairs and in the rest of the room (split level room).

We are thinking elephants breath for the walls, white (not sure which) for the skirting boards and shutters.

The new traditional looking radiators will either be downpipe (if i get my way) or gun metal (if I don't!)

The floor downstairs is going to be Oak and upstairs Sisal.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (13)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    Bm iron ore
  • PRO
    George Quinn
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Natalie,

A soft grey could do the work for the banisters and will go well with the white skirting boards and the elephant breath for the walls.

What do you intend to do with the handrails and with the posts? It would work nicely if you didn't use the same colour for them as the one for the banisters. Here are some ideas:

Staircase designs · More Info

Staircase designs · More Info

Hope this helps.

Regards,

George Quinn | Stair Parts

• PRO
    Hampshire Design Consultancy Ltd.
    8 years ago
    Through experience and talking to other professionals ( ie kitchen companies or furniture companies) F&B will not wear well and does not have duration. Myland paint has the duration of Dulux but the matt chalky colours and beautiful range and they will colour match at certain stores- check mylands of london web site for stockists.
  • PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    8 years ago

Paint the spindles, risers and strings the same colour as the architraves and skirting of the rooms. Use a wood dye (not stain, which sits on the surface) in medium oak for the treads, handrail and newel posts. The dye will sink into the wood so that when the excess is wiped off, you can still see the beautiful grain of the oak.

When dry, apply 2 coats of twin pack (lacquer) which is harder than varnish. Make sure the 1st coat is thoroughly dry, then rub down gently with fine steel wool, then a damp rag to remove dust before applying the 2nd coat.

The whole process will take several days, but the finished results will be amazing.

• PRO
    Hampshire Design Consultancy Ltd.
    8 years ago

I would say you have 2 options:

1) paint as Pat says, but choose a nice dark matt colour, ( or I suppose White if that is you want, its a matter of personal preference), and handrail dyed and varnished MATT, or, stain / matt varnish the whole lot. Here, with discussion with client, and led by the client who wanted a low maintenance finish, the 300 yr old beams had been treated and left as natural, unfinished, and the new soft wood ( budget did not allow for oak or hardwood) was finished in stain and matt varnish - I thought it might not work, but the end result was pleasing to all and very very happy client. This expressed the new joiner from the older structural timber frame. What do you think?

• lavonazz
    8 years ago

I would keep the natural wood on everything bar the banister, You may wish to darken it but it will darken with age. The banister rail goes high gloss black. This will polish up to a piano finnish with use. Yts worded every time for me...

• PRO
    Shake the Sky
    8 years ago

I would encourage you to paint all the woodwork (spindles, risers, skirtings, etc) one colour, F&B Wimborne White is fresh and lovely a colour that compliments Elephant's Breathe beautifully... you can't go wrong!

• Helen C
    8 years ago
    I agree paint the skirtings the same colour as the spindles. Skimming stone is nice with elephants breath. You can get farrow and ball paint colour matched in johnstones paint. It's an exact match, cheaper and potentially (according to others) more hard wearing. Is that parquet flooring btw?
  • Natalie Andrews
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for all the advice.

We are going for EB on the wall, skimming stone on the woodwork and shutters and downside on the rads and top bannister rail .

Yes, it's parquet flooring at the moment, but this will be going in a skip shortly!

Will post a photo when it's finished !

Thanks again
  • Natalie Andrews
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Down pipe even for the rads

Ceiling will be skimming stone too
  • Helen C
    8 years ago
    Sounds gorgeous, would love to see the finished room, good luck with it!
  • Andrew Plant
    8 years ago
    I would suggest F&B Dropcloth for the woodwork, restrain the handrail and Dulux Sourdough on the walls. We are in the process of doing this in our new house. It's warmer and less predictable than all the grey tones you see everywhere and neutral enough to go with most furniture.