wmeubanks

Where the tile should end...

wmeubanks
7 years ago
Hi! Tomorrow we start our kitchen backsplash. We will have a full counter-to-ceiling wall that features a stainless vent hood.

My question is... Where should the tile wall stop? As you can see in the attached pictures, we have a peninsula raised bar at the end of the kitchen. Along the ceiling, we have a support beam. My original thought was to end the tile at the START of the beam --- however, the beam and raised counter don't exactly line up. If we stop at the beam, there will be about 3 inches of tile over the raised counter, which I worry will look unfinished.

Here are some options:

1) Stop the tile at the start of the beam (tile will go ~3 inches past raised counter)

2) Stop the tile at the END of the beam (tile will stop at about the halfway point of the raised counter)

3) Tile around the beam and stop the tile at the end of the raised counter (essentially bringing the kitchen into the next room, see where tile will go up to crown molding)

4) Another option I'm not thinking of?

Please help! I need to give the construction crew direction tomorrow and I'm not sure what to do.

Comments (34)