hzdeleted_5203979

What is the standard depth of a niche in the shower?

User
11 years ago
We are doing a niche in the main bathroom tub/shower space at 18"W x 12"H x 4" D. In the ensuite shower, we are thinking of doing a niche 12"W x 24"H" x 4"D (3 shelves). Should we increase the depth of the niches? What seems to be the standard depth for a shower niche?

Comments (4)

• Kevin Retired Decorator
    11 years ago
    The studs in the wall is what limits you. Studs in general are 2"x4" deep The niche fits within that space. studs are normally 12"-18"s apart and that limits the width. So when you open up the wall you can see just how big it can be.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    I agree, the size you've indicated would be the maximum niche one can get without having to alter the wall studs behind.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    I usually use the gauge of my client's biggest bottle of shampoo - if it fits, then we're okay!
  • PRO
    Beautiful Space Co
    11 years ago
    Hi princess_q,

If you're looking for an easy way to increase the depth of the niche without altering the wall framing, you may want to consider a making the perimeter and shelves of the niche from stone or quartz instead. This gives you the opportunity to increase the depth of the niche by around another 1" more than if it were integrated tile, as the surrounding wall tile can terminate into the side of it. (Shown in the first photo below)

For a coordinating look and cost-effective approach, you can use the same stone that you have for your countertops, and also use it for a shower bench, and curb etc. An alternate approach is simply to increase the height to accomodate additional shelves. (The second photo was installed in a 2x6 wall)
    -Steve
    Contemporary Bathroom · More Info

Contemporary Bathroom · More Info