germain_wong

Alternative to Fleetwood Windows & Doors?

Germain Wong
7 years ago

Hi I have two specific questions I'm hoping I can get some advice on..... Thanks in advance.
1) The house we're gutting (down to the foundation) will have expansive windows. Still tinkering around with variations of the window designs but the main feature (from the rear elevation) are these 5 foot wide (9.5' tall) lift-and-slide doors -- 6 panels in total. Originally I had wanted them to slide into a pocket -- 3 to the left and 3 to the right -- but my architect is steering me away from that. I'm OK With the idea of a stacked system as well (although that reduces the opening from 30' to 20'). Any thoughts on pocket door lift and slide systems? Looks cool when opened up but is it more trouble (and money!) than it's worth?

2) We'd like all-aluminium doors/windows (black and very sleek/thin frames). Other than Fleetwood, who else makes these? I think Nanawall does, but they are probably more expensive than Fleetwood. BTW we did get a quote from Fleetwood ($300K for parts and $50K for install). I know companies with comparable products probably will come in within 10-15% of this number but hey, 10-15% of $350K is still a nice chunk of change. :-)

Attached is a snap shot of the rear elevation... I wanted a seamless flow between the indoor and outdoor space.... The house is in Short Hills, NJ. Thanks again.

Comments (206)

Sponsored