joanna_tovia

Bathtubs – freestanding or built-in?

Joanna Tovia
7 years ago

It's tempting to install a freestanding bathtub but are built-in baths the more practical option? Vote for your favourite bathroom choice and share the reasons for your preference in the Comments!

Williams town · More Info

Martin House · More Info

Freestanding bathtubs are the only way to go
Built-in baths are practical as well as pretty

Comments (44)

• robandlyn
    7 years ago

I love the look of freestanding, but the sticky damp dust and cobwebs that get behind it makes cleaning a pain. A built in is so much easier to clean.

Joanna Tovia thanked robandlyn
  • myownstyle13
    7 years ago

I agree robandlyn. Freestanding against a wall (or 3) is just so unpractical. Make sure you have a handheld showerhead at the tub. Makes cleaning even easier.

Joanna Tovia thanked myownstyle13
  • Related Discussions

What colour??

Q

Comments (12)
    Hi Ang, I thought I'd follow up my earlier comment with pictures of before and after of pine cupboards I specified to be painted in a budget makeover. My clients tell me people presumed they had purchased brand new cabinetry, so startling was the makeover. Somehow I have put the "after" on the left and "before" image on the right!
    ...See More

Need help with my en-suite bathroom :)

Q

Comments (3)
    Reconsider not having a bathtub in your large master bath space, which currently has a good bit of wasted space, for your convenience as well as for future buyers. You also don't appear to have any counterspace or storage by the sinks, the shower is big enough that you don't need a door on it, and a small freestanding soaker tub could fit under the window in the wet area of the space if the door to the bathroom was moved a couple of feet up the wall opposite the sinks. You can't put furniture on that wall, anyway, due to the traffic pattern.
    ...See More

Master bed/bathroom designs

Q

Comments (28)
    I agree with emily. if you want leave connections and/or a little extra room for what you don't want, but feel you may need for resale. I think the tub is a pretty important item. wet room not at all, and shower is give or take. i would prefer a big shower and a tub for soaking in, but I have always had the combo. I remember my mom built during big wet bar craze, she did not care for one. had space built, capped off connections and use as a closet. Now it is 35 years later, everyone wants to buy and tear down. Darned if you do, darned if you don't. i agree, I would also really like the separate toilet, we are not share everything people.
    ...See More

Bathroom reno advice for very old bathroom

Q

Comments (5)
    Maybe look beyond the footprint of existing bathroom. We renovated a bathroom where we were able to have a seperate large shower and keep the bath by incorporating a built in cupboard in a bedroom room adjacent to the bathroom. New Free standing storage in that room has resolved any issue with the loss of the built in.
    ...See More
  • hagan_38
    7 years ago
    Freestanding do look impressive but for practical purposes (ie. cleaning) you need to be able to walk around them. Otherwise built in are low maintenance and suit most bathroom sizes.
  • C P
    7 years ago
    freestanding are for large bathrooms or reality tv shows only.
  • PRO
    Civic Steel Homes
    7 years ago

We regularly do both. Did a survey about this a while back and it was very interesting. Pretty much 50/50 on people loving freestanding versus builtin. We have had both the client who doesnt want to clean around a freestanding bath and those that just love the style regardless of the extra cleaning. I think some baths in podiums can be made to look great if the bath is flush with the surface of the tiles for example. But it is obviously a very personal thing and specific to the space.

Graceville · More Info

Chelmer · More Info

Ocean View · More Info

Noosa canal · More Info

• macyjean
    7 years ago

How can I vote? Only way to go versus practical? Is it an either or question? Is there anything that is not practical about a freestanding bath, as long as it is FREESTANDING?

• Gioenne Rapisarda
    7 years ago

Freestanding is beautiful but impractical

• PRO
    Ella Kate Thrupp
    7 years ago

I love the look of freestanding. So much more elegant!

• PRO
    Sushiiphoto
    7 years ago

I hate cleaning so built in bathtubs for me!

• Chiquit Brammall
    7 years ago

Totally agree with @robandlyn but I would make an exception for this freestanding beauty

Axor - Hansgrohe Urquiola Collection · More Info

• macyjean
    7 years ago

Is it still impractical if you have space to walk around it?

• robandlyn
    7 years ago

Cleaning would be way easier if you could walk round it - but practically very few bathrooms are big enough to accommodate that.

• Iris Spittle
    7 years ago
    I've yet to find out but have chosen to install free standing. It's gorgeous and there'll be space to walk around. I'm willing to put up with any inconvenience - that's what I'm saying now! The look is hard to beat.
  • macyjean
    7 years ago

I happened to see an article on built-in versus free-standing yesterday which refreshingly talked about more than just how trendy it is but addressed the practical aspects. A previous article I saw a few weeks earlier, which I admit got my goat, dictated that built-in baths are old-fashioned and nowadays people should have freestanding baths. http://www.allhomes.com.au/advice/freestanding-bath-versus-a-builtin-tub-which-one-should-you-choose-20160727-gqevyx/

I still think it's not an either or question so I'm not voting. If I was building and could afford a large bathroom I might think about it but I might think about spending the money on other features instead, I really don't know. If I won the lottery and could afford to build a house in the tropics with a huge bathroom with sliding doors out to a private courtyard I can't imagine not having a sculptural free standing bath right in the middle. If I was looking to buy an established house where someone had renovated a standard sized bathroom and squeezed in a freestanding tub because they had been persuaded it's the trendy must have accessory for any bathroom renovation I'd look elsewhere.

• Iris Spittle
    7 years ago
    I will read that article
    My excuse was certainly not for trendiness, but not only asthetics and also for easy bathing our little grand-daughter.
  • C P
    7 years ago
    Aside from the cleaning I also hate not having an edge to place things. I don't think the looks triumph the lack of function.
  • Gallifrey
    7 years ago

Going back a few decades all we had were freestanding baths. Given builtins are "practical", but the main reason they came into common use is that they are cheaper and builders saved money. In most houses unless you have small children the tub rarely, if ever gets used. In which case who cares about practical considerations. Go for good style and what you like!

• macyjean
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thinking about what C P said, I think I'd rather have a long edge at both ends of a built-in bath than a free-standing bath. I suppose if you want somewhere to put things you can use a stool and personally I'm not enthused about the idea of cluttering a bathroom with furniture, although I have seen some pictures of very nice teak or ceramic bath stools. I love this one, quirky yet useful. [https://www.houzz.com.au/photos/master-bathroom-contemporary-bathroom-miami-phvw-vp~32921773[(https://www.houzz.com.au/photos/master-bathroom-contemporary-bathroom-miami-phvw-vp~32921773)

• wendyo1
    7 years ago
    Depends on the size of the bathroom. If it's a large bathroom with enough room to walk around the bath then free standing looks great. Otherwise it's too hard to clean around a free standing in a small area even with a hand held hose.
  • Gallifrey
    7 years ago
    jean9diener. All there is to hate is that we don't have one. Looks great, but I am sure the anti freestanding league will still find fault.
  • Kim Westwood
    7 years ago

it still comes back to the look you are trying to achieve in your bathroom. Nothing is "old-fashioned" if you love it, use it. Its a personal choice. Just because someone decides its "old-fashioned", out of style, its your choice. I love both would depend on the style of my home & what I want in it. I do love the old claw-foot bath in the right place. the idea of a lovely green courtyard with the bath amongst the greenery would be awsome. Would be a lovely spot on a summers night with a glass of wine. So guess I will sit on the fence or in my bath on this one.

• PRO
    archimondo
    7 years ago

Love the look of free standing but have to consider access for old bastards like me.

• Vy
    7 years ago

I'm practical the less cleaning the better though the freestanding does look nice..too high a maintenance ..

put on the scale the other one wins

• everton_galepacific
    7 years ago

Obviously depends on the space and style of the property, but we do love how modern a free standing tub looks!

Interiors · More Info

• PRO
    Pipe Perfection Plumbers
    7 years ago

Freestanding baths definitely have wow factor but built in are easier to deal with. A floor level freestanding bath needs to have the drainage dropping though the floor- that's tricky/expensive if you have a concrete slab!

Its fine if you are doing a new build or re-laying your slab and you're happy with the extra cost.

Builts ins are, as everyone said, easier to keep clean,. It's also easier to rectify any issues with the drainage should a leak occur in future. (break open a few tiles, fix the leak, re-tile).

Having said ALL that, I have a freestanding bath at our place and its really beautiful. I installed it so it sat far enough away from the wall to get a mop behind. I also put a long drain behind it so you can use the hose attachment on the tap to give the floor behind the bath a quick clean.

• PRO
    Richard Cole Architecture
    7 years ago

It depends on the size of the bathroom and the overall bathroom planning. If you have a large bathroom a free standing bath can add more interest whilst creating a sculptural feature to your bathroom. Built in baths are practical and good for smaller tighter plans and you can add interest by tiling around with mosaics or a natural stone tile creating a more in ground feel which can create simplicity if you have lots going on.

• PRO
    Bristow Design
    7 years ago

Her En-suite · More Info
    A freestanding bath allows for floor to ceiling view windows.

• bellacatandme
    7 years ago

Depends on the size of the room, the budget and either the décor or outlook whether the freestanding bath will work I think. I don't understand why so many freestanding baths are either slap bang next to a wall making cleaning awkward or protruding from a corner cramping everything else and looking weird.

I'm not voting, both can be great.

I wonder what the next trend will be? Since becoming a Houzza I've found dating improvements is becoming an unfortunate side effect lol.

• ducks43
    7 years ago
    I haven't had a bath since I was about 10. The memory of sitting in a hot bath which is turning colder each second, with scum starting to float around the edges makes me so glad I gave them up for a large shower with a rain shower head as well as a hand held wand. Add a small bench to sit on if needed, and a built in recess to hold all the paraphernalia, bliss!
  • bellacatandme
    7 years ago

Oh ducks43 you're missing out on the very adult escape a bath provides, the therapeutic soak is divine. As long as there's a lock on the door, the music is loud enough to drown out the plaintive cries beyond, the book stays dry and the wine doesn't run out it's heaven. I assume your hot water tap is handy to prevent any chills.

I wouldn't dream of having a bath if the aim is only to get clean, and I always have a quick shower afterwards to finish. I've often wondered if that's a bit weird actually but it's what I do.

• bellacatandme
    7 years ago

And a bath can be life saving! My very elderly Aunt 89, who lived in UK, had a fall in the bathroom during a freezing winter and couldn't get herself up. She pulled herself into and ran a bath to keep warm. It took 3 days for anyone to miss her but when they found her she was fine, except for the original injury, because she kept topping up the bath with hot water. We were told she'd have not survived had she not clambered into the bath. So there, baths are not just indulgent they're necessary lol.

• Daisy Marie
    7 years ago

I'd like a decent sized bathroom where I can turn a freestanding bath into a sculptural object..

• Maree Lansdown
    7 years ago
    In the process of renovating our bathroom and went with a freestanding corner bath that looks like a built in, that we can tile to the edge of, but with the ease of installation of the freestanding bath. I hate cleaning so this was the best of both worlds.
  • PRO
    AQVA - Luxury Baths & Spas
    7 years ago

Hi Joanna

We love both!

A common misconception we've found with freestanding baths and spas is that they're simply be too heavy to move around for cleaning purposes.

To make cleaning manageable, our 100% Australian made baths and spas are manufactured using Gelcoat composite construction which is extremely strong yet not overly heavy (5mm thickness to ensure structural rigidity and increased thermal properties).

So one of our baths is typically around the 40-50kg mark which allows most people to easily slide the bath out from the wall for easy cleaning access.

Freestanding stone baths are a different story altogether!

Regards,

Brad
    AQVA Luxury Baths & Spas

Peppers Mineral Springs Hotel - Hepburn Springs, Victoria · More Info

Chentro 1900 Spa Bath · More Info

Japanese Baths · More Info

• PRO
    Brisbane Bathroom Renovations Pty Ltd
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Free-standing baths are very attractive and can create a beautiful feature, but cleaning behind them can be quite awkward. We install more built in baths than free-standing, but ultimately it is up to what the client prefers!

• PRO
    Smith and Sons Geelong Renovation & Extensions
    7 years ago

In the right space a freestanding bath looks great

• PRO
  • ducks43
    6 years ago
    I'm not voting for either. They take up a lot of space, are hard to clean, and depending on your water pressure - are tepid at best when you get in....well at least in our home with very poor pressure. And don't get me started on bath/shower combos....they should be declared safety hazards. Give me a rain shower.....bliss.
  • Illuminide Interiors
    6 years ago

Freestanding looks better but can be difficult to clean around the back and sides if there isn't enough room allocated to get hands around. Something that needs to be well considered before final approval. Especially if the bath is next to a vanity or glass shower screen.

• PRO
    Brisbane Bathroom Renovations Pty Ltd
    6 years ago

Very true - it's important to leave a sufficient gap between the bath and the wall or adjacent fittings. Free-standing baths actually require more room than an inbuilt bath of an equivalent size, so it's really important to get the measurements correct!

• PRO
    Julia Fairley
    6 years ago

I adore the look of a freestanding bath but adore cleaning I do not! Has anyone had success with using a handheld shower want to rinse down the sides of the bath after use if there's ample space around each side and clean it that way?

• PRO
    PJU Design
    6 years ago
    Built in baths can be a long-term maintenance nightmare - the sealant around the edge of the bath deteriorates and water can seep in, rot the substructure without realising it, and it's all downhill from there. Freestanding baths are lower maintenance in the long-run.
  • georgiewitehira
    4 years ago

We have a free standing bath and I love the look of it. We put a shelf at the front end of the bath in the wall to hold stuff. I can clean the front and back end but not the wall side. It is difficult to get out of when I am not fit or strong, but when the stars are aligned I love it.