mihalyslocombe

Joyful House: designing in 3D - digital or physical?

Mihaly Slocombe
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We are excited to have recently received a commission to design a renovation and extension for a turn-of-the-century Edwardian cottage in Geelong, Australia.

As architects, communicating our design ideas to our clients is vital to our process. With every new project we are always faced with the dilemma of how to best represent our projects to a client. While we understand that each project is unique, we're wondering if there's a consensus amongst Houzz users as to whether a physical model or a 3D render is more useful? The images below have all been created for the same project (and same design). Is there another form of communication you have come across that has also helped you explore/understand a design?

Model: existing home in heritage context to be retained, with new extension at the rear to capitalise on northern sun exposure.

Model: detail of the existing homes street front facade with extension shown popping out the back.

Model: new deck extension to rear of the home.

Render: digital exploration of the new deck extension to the rear of the home.

What do you think? Model or render? Or something else? Let us know by voting and/or commenting below. Would love to hear your opinions!

Model
Render

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Sushiiphoto
    7 years ago

I've always admired the patience and efforts that goes into building a physical model but 3D renders are easier to visualise the final outcome - especially with the colours, shadowing and plants!

Mihaly Slocombe thanked Sushiiphoto
  • Chiquit Brammall
    7 years ago

As a homeowner I find it easier to visualise how furniture, etc will fill and fit in a space, with a model – provided that the model has some model furniture in it for scale. It lets me understand the circulation as well as what I can do with my home. From a professional designer's standpoint though, it's hell on the fingers and eyes making a model, even at 1:50 scale! A 3D render is way easier to produce.

Also... if you did away with models, we'd never be able to say "Architects do it with models" ;)

Mihaly Slocombe thanked Chiquit Brammall
  • Gioenne Rapisarda
    7 years ago

Haha Chiquit! I honestly think both options have their drawcards. What is the difference between them in time it takes to produce?

Mihaly Slocombe thanked Gioenne Rapisarda
  • PRO
    Mihaly Slocombe
    Original Author
    7 years ago

For our office it takes about a week for both, depending on the scale of the project. Chiquit, you're spot on about the 'hell on fingers and eyes' for a physical model. Also, a render is much easier to amend. After the sketch design phase when we're done using the physical model we give it to our client for them to hold on to until we can replace it with the real thing!

Do you think that by showing too much in a 3D render at an early stage is problematic? I.e. not leaving enough to the imagination in terms of materials?

• Kellie Howard
    7 years ago

Depends on what stage you are at! Our architect presented us with a physical model along with a floor plan, right at the beginning of our design process. Without it, we would certainly have struggled to visualise the entire concept, and it definately cemented our faith early in the design. In the 4 months since, he has provided 2D renders of areas we've made minor changes to, and we are now waiting to view the 3D digital render, in order to layer & dress. He is also constructing a final physical model for us. We have an awesome architect!

Mihaly Slocombe thanked Kellie Howard
  • Neryl Hollingsworth
    7 years ago

Does a client get to keep the model? I am a big fan of seeing anything in real life. for some reason, the rendered images you see these days dont ever give me a real sense of the place and the space.

Mihaly Slocombe thanked Neryl Hollingsworth
  • PRO
    Mihaly Slocombe
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Neryl, we leave the model with the client until we are able to replace it with their finished home.

• PRO
    FM Architecture
    7 years ago

more detailed

• PRO
    Terras Landscape Architects
    7 years ago

3D models will do it all for you. With the technology now you can do so much. We model in 3D then render to a real time rendered model complete with moving clouds leaves and objects. You can move around the entire site with a client in real time - even render to a 3D virtual reality if you like. Animations, renders, great to let the client see exactly what it will be like. Editing so much easier too.

• oklouise
    7 years ago

3d modelling allows you to "see" the building from all angles at eye level and from above and also to add objects to help understand the scale and add night day and shadow effects