sarah_hanwell

Grey UPVC or White UPVC Windows?

Sarah H
7 years ago
Me & my boyfriend bought our house 3 years ago, it needed a complete renovation which we are just starting. We like contemporary but we also like vintage, retro styles too.

We're currently having an extension on the back of the house with a 6.5 metre opening with grey aluminium glass sliding doors, knocking down the wall separating the kitchen & dining room so it's open plan, then we're having a contemporary kitchen fitted so the inside will be quite contemporary. My boyfriend is pushing for grey UPVC Windows but I have always had white in the head so don't want to make any quick decisions that I might regret. Im struggling to visualise how it will look with grey Windows, I'm worried that if I go for it ill regret it and wish we had white. I love grey but my concern is our neighbouring houses are white (although we're detached) I'm worried if it may look out of place or maybe devalue our house if it doesn't look right. I wondered what people's opinions are?

I have attached a picture of our house. Our house is the bottom picture but we are having it extended slightly at the front so it will look the same as the top picture minus the garage- that will be a large window the same as the other side.

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Croydon Window Company Ltd
    7 years ago

Hi Sarah, We cover uPVC and aluminium, depending on your budget and the style you want to create, grey aluminium will certainly give your home a modern contemporary look and will bring value to your property... have a look in our variety of projects which show you Anthracite grey (a popular one with our clients) and also some white aluminium too. Hope this helps and visually give you an idea on your decision?

• Sarah H
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you, I'll take a look now. Are aluminium just as energy efficient as UPVC? I have been warned away by a lady I know who had condensation with her aluminium Windows.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

Hi Sarah, yes they are just as energy efficient as uPVC, (the older versions of aluminium were not thermally broken), but uPVC would be a lot cheaper than Aluminium..

• Daisy England
    7 years ago
    The colour is your choice. Perhaps grey on the outside and white on the inside so it will go with any decor.

The house over the road from me is in the process of being refurbished and I know they are planning on having grey windows. I'm looking forward to seeing them when installed.

In our road which only has 26 houses in total they were built with rosewood colour frames (as in your first pic) but as time has gone on people have swapped them. Now we have rosewood, oak, white and shortly opposite me grey.

The colour will not detract from the value.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

Sarah, as Daisy has pointed out you could have white inside which does brighten the interior space. As per projects below, with white internal frames. We are also on Instagram which show all our projects to date of what we cover... @croydonwindows

• Sarah H
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I was just worried that grey would look out of place with all of our neighbours having white. I am seeing more and more grey when I'm driving about. Just not seen anyone with them on my road or estate so I was worried it would look out of place. The white on the inside is a definite if we go with the grey, thanks!!
  • PRO
    d & b
    7 years ago
    you can also check brite lite windows and doors
  • Daisy England
    7 years ago
    The reason none of your neighbours have grey windows is probably because they haven't replaced theirs in a few years.

Some people are afraid of change. Grey would look lovely. Go for it. Very modern. In years to come we might all be opting for grey.
  • Saifi Carpenter contractor
    7 years ago
    Hello Sarah you right decision dubal colour
  • Sarah H
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks Daisy I am swaying more towards grey. Yes that's very true as we're one of the only houses with the original 80s windows still, so people won't pay out just for a different colour if there windows are still okay. We really love grey, I am just worried it'll look out of place or not as good as I'd be hoping. I may have found the solution... I've been googling today & noticed slim profile UPVC windows exist (Aluminium is out of our budget). As one thing that put me off UPVC grey Windows was that the frame seams more obvious than white somehow & I don't like the thick,chunky frame of some UPVC Windows so that maybe an option. Thanks again!
  • Jonathan
    7 years ago
    Grey can look great on a White House or with pale stone. Personally I think white is the superior choice with your red brick
  • PRO
    Isidora Markovic
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Sarah,

We have a red brick house too. I think if you're going for a sleek, contemporary interior and want the exterior to echo that, go for grey. I think white UPVC on a red bricked house dates it rather than modernises, but if you were to render or paint the house another colour, it'd be a different story.

I second what the above commenters have said with regards to white on the inside and grey on the outside. I wouldn't worry about being the only one on the neighbourhood with them - set the trend!

• PRO
    Matthew Smith Architectural Photography
    7 years ago
    I would go with grey. White UPVC is everywhere and it has eroded the character of many houses, old and new. If you can afford it, you might want to look at aluminium timber composite from a company such as Velfac. Don't feel like you need to fit in with the neighbours just because it's the established trend. UPVC has become the default choice because it's cheap and easy to maintain, and often is all that is offered. Most people forget that there are alternatives that perform well and actually look good too. Good luck with the project!
  • Sarah H
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you for all of your advice and opinions for and against grey I think I am going to go for the grey, if I do I'm thinking of going for grey guttering, soffits & facias too in the same grey. The only problem with that is there is seams to be only one grey that comes in all of those things which is Anthracite which is quite dark. Going to look at them in a show room fingers crossed its not to dark as I want it to be a definite grey and not near black. Thanks again!!
  • A S
    7 years ago
    I would recommend using a visualiser app to see how the windows would look on your home
  • malleymorton
    6 years ago

Sarah H did you go for grey... photos?