kirstinkeilty32

floor too dark and wood cabinets will now match, I fear!

Kirstin Keilty
7 years ago

I am doing my first refurbish of a kitchen in a 50 year old house my husband and I just bought. I picked out fantastic cabinets, which are wood grain (sort of tiger-striped) light and dark. They will be flat doors. We also put in wood floors (and knocked out a wall and punched a hole through another wall, so now, our ranch style home is very open floor plan-ish. We couldn't afford wider, planked hardwoods, so settled on the narrower oak that matches the rest of the house. I wanted to keep the floors lighter (even though they wouldn't match the other floor in the bedrooms and hallway - they are not a great redder oak stained color), and know that I would redo the older flooring at some point in the near future, to match. The floor guys stained several areas of the floor different stains that were about 12X12" and I was to pick a stain from that. I looked at the lighter stain and then the poly that they had used alone, and they seemed too pink somehow. so I went with Early American, which is rich, and a little darker (definitely not orange or reddish, which I can't stand), but now that it is on the floors, it looks very similar to the cabinet wood (although in oak in pattern), which, wasn't as noticeable until the whole floor was covered. The grain will even be going in the same direction. I have not gotten the cabinets yet, as they are not scheduled to be ready for installation until January's end, but I am so afraid that I will be stuck with these great cabinets which I have now become totally underwhelming and monotonous with the floor color I chose. I don't see any pictures of design where floor color matches with lower-cabinet color, very closely, (they are always quite contrasting) and I'm scared that I spent a whole lot of money on custom this and that that is going to be disappointing. I need some encouragement, if there is any to give. Or, at least some honesty, in case I'm going to need to sell my house, since I can't afford a re-order or re-do. Help!!

Comments (14)