kab64

Advise on wool sisal runner for stairs... Please help!

Kim
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Runner for stairs · More Info

I have hard wood floor in my house stained Jacobean..

Personally they came out darker then I wanted..

Anyway, can someone please give me some advise on how wool sisal wears, cleans, durability.. For runners on stairs ..

I have 2 golden retrievers and 3 grown up children who still visit a lot ..

Thank you//

Comments (86)

• mizlabel
    7 years ago

I've had a real sisal runner on my dark wood steps for about 2 years now and it looks absolutely beautiful! I have a border on it and it looks as beautiful as the day it was installed. If you love sisal, I'd say go for it!

• Carol Cohan
    7 years ago

Carol Cohan Interiors agrees with Cinar

and Casa Bella on installation! The other thing I would stress is that with carpeting in general, BUY THE VERY BEST PADDING AVAILABLE! Half the life of the carpeting' longevity is investing in top quality padding.

• Tamara
    7 years ago
    @MONAELLA: I liked your stair carpet advice, but I LOVED your humor!
  • PRO
    Niche Interiors
    7 years ago

Sisal is not easy to clean, I would avoid this. Opt for wool -- it's natural, easy to clean and durable. Good luck!

• janirene33
    7 years ago

Thank you for your advice khealy and Niche Interiors.

• Kim
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi... after a lot of research and advise from you all..

Thank you..

I came up with a few choices..

I would love your advice.. Good or bad...

runners · More Info

runners · More Info

What are your thoughts?

• monaellen
    7 years ago
    Kam64......Based on the other colours that I can see in your pictures, I think I would go with the zebra print.
  • jacbace
    7 years ago
    What is the houndstooth sample. I love it.
  • PRO
    Passionate Home
    7 years ago

I like the zebra print in the lighter color, but the darker looks good as well. I think the houndstooth is nice, but it's a lot of eye movement on stairs.

• PRO
    Michael Todd Koren, CMKBD LEED Green Associate
    7 years ago
    To my eyes the lighter zebra color clashes with the two other area carpet samples I see below. If it had to be one of those three, I would take one of the two others. Better compatibility. Unless you want to change the other two carpets below.
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    I'm sorry the other two color area carpets are above not below. My assumption is that those two samples are what you're keeping downstairs.
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Third attempt: I guess it depends which picture you're looking at. On my smart phone, I couldn't see the pictures while writing this message.
  • mariadifiore
    7 years ago

We had a sisal runner (wool poly blend) with black suede borders installed in upper and lower staircases 12-13 years ago and still good as new. I like the look and works with most decor both luxe and understated. We renovated and modernized our look and the runners still work with our updates.

Think the look is safe if using other scatter rugs in the home that have more details and design. The simple staircase downplays and grounds and allows you to have fun with the rest:)

• mariadifiore
    7 years ago

Sorry-didn't pay heed to your ask... the two other rugs are on main level and your question is choice of the other three samples?

Although same palette, not good choices. You have grecian border on the area rugs which I am assuming you are placing in same area and then the choice of houndstooth or zebra on staircase? Too busy and you will tire as too much going on. The punch would be good as an accent if you are wanting to design in this palette(taupe/cream) but not on the staircase. Great that you have a starting point which is the area rugs, and you are on right track as far as palette--but I would tone down the design of the body of the staircase carpet. Your eye should not go directly to the staircase but rather to the calmness of your palette and furnishings/art in the room.

What is the rest of the room like? Furnishings? Color of furniture/couch/art/wall color?

Kim thanked mariadifiore
  • Jan Ellen Moskowitz
    7 years ago

Have you thought if tiles or painting? I painted mine

• Techi
    7 years ago

Love the darker zebra print :-)

• cdziak
    7 years ago

I would do a sisal looking nylon runner as well. THe color that Shelley above has a photo of would be ideal. Then I would get the same as a rug to replace the gray rug in the foyer below. This would give a clean look and brighten up the space. Good luck.

Kim thanked cdziak
  • Kim
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, cdziak... Thats what I was thinking..I have already moved those grey rugs out..Now I have to start again..

I have a long foyer.. would you do the same rug on the stairs as in the foyer???

You can look at the pictures to see what it looks like..

Thank You .... I never thought this was so hard to chose..

• Susan Lowe
    7 years ago

I like the darker zebra as well.

• cdziak
    7 years ago

Yes, I would use the same rug in the foyer as on the stairs. It seems a bit more modern and less cluttered looking - especially in tighter spaces. For color see Pottery Barn's Color-Bound Seagrass Rug - Natural for a nice light color with some depth. I would still use a nylon rug instead of a natural one to limit wear and tear but in the Pottery Barn color.

Kim thanked cdziak
  • capeanner
    7 years ago

@stephtooke, what are you using to hold down the two halves to the stairs? You say you pick them up to clean; so I assume they are not attached?? Sounds treacherous...rubber or not. Did you actually mean you are using two halves on each step? I can't picture this. I bought an inexpensive rubber backed beige runner, cut it into stair tread pieces and attached them with small tacks. Meant to be a quick fix; has lasted over 20 years! Ready for a change though.

• abigail822
    7 years ago

Sanai, not sure your question fits in this question, but no, 24 inch wide stairs are not suitable. How would you carry furniture up? Even 3 feet is tight. I would do 3-1/2 to 4 ft wide stairs.

• dreamweaver6
    7 years ago

wood is beautiful on stairs....don't cover them up, rugs are dirt collectors and vacuuming stairs is a nightmare!

• PRO
    Passionate Home
    7 years ago

Dreamweaver....I agree that wood is beautiful on stairs. But millions of people have pets, and many of us are getting older and have to be concerned with falling. When she was eleven, our dog fell down our wood stairs, and I would now never be without carpet runners or individual carpet treads on the wood stairs. And, using a beautiful carpet that is durable (many now available) can be quite attractive. I watch our dog (now thirteen) carefully choose to place her paws on the carpet treads every time she goes up or down the stairs. Sometimes we have to do things for reasons that aren't entirely about looks.

• PRO
    Britannia Flooring
    7 years ago

The darker zebra print looks great and will mask more of the wear/dirt. The houndstooth could be tricky on the eyes especially while moving up and down the stairs.

• dneves
    7 years ago

Pattern-wise, I'd say both of the zebra-stripe choices will look nice, but the hounds tooth pattern could have a dizzying effect in that application (although that pattern is amazing!). Unless I missed it, you didn't say what they were made of. Pick carefully. Wool wears the best but would be best in a pet-free household. Its a magnet for dog and cat hair. I think its a smart choice to stay away from any rug with an open weave, like jute or sisal. Dirt will go through the rug, then the rug will act like sandpaper on the treads with normal wear. I agree with Passionate Home -- sometimes we have to do things for reasons that aren't entirely about looks. It sounds like you're choosing carefully, so I'm sure it will come out great. Please post a picture when its done.

• Heather Bellanca
    7 years ago

Our un carpeted stairs are like an echo chamber so I'm thinking of a runner to dampen sound. One person mentioned using a rug pad underneath. Does that work? Just that thin, rubbery mesh kind? Or something thicker? It doesn't add too much thickness to the tread?

Also, how is the top end of the runner finished/attached? stapled just beneath the lip of the second floor bullnose?

Thanks!

• PRO
    creative design asscs.
    7 years ago

Beware of large, bold patterns or stripes that obscure the step edges!

• PRO
    DesignsbyRLW.com
    7 years ago

If I were to pick from the 3 choices - the darker zebra print enhances the wood color. Not sure I would have the same rug print in entry but definitely would have a solid rug in the same lighter color with border in the same darker color of zebra print runner.

• PRO
    Southern Hospitality
    7 years ago

Four years ago I added Dash & Albert indoor outdoor runners to my stairs & they are holding up great. I did it myself using staples & carpet tape. Would highly recommend this type runner for durability & cleaning. I vacuum with a brush attachment & they still look like this 4 years later. I've shared the process on my blog: http://southernhospitalityblog.com/painted-stairs-and-adding-runners/

Kim thanked Southern Hospitality
  • sartpm
    7 years ago

I wouldn't put anything on the stairs. I hate vacuuming stairs. Especially with dogs. The dog hair will travel to the crevices where you will need to use a special attachment or rake it out with your fingers. Very high maintenance. With hard wood you can use a dust mop and clean the stairs quickly and easily. Just keep the dogs' nails clipped do they won't scratch the floors. : ).

• terrib962
    7 years ago

I agree with the ones who say d not put anything on the stairs. Definitely not ANY kind of carpet - it will trap dust and dirt in even the cleanest of homes (and pet fur). I plan to paint and stain my stairs exactly like you did and then on top of that paint a stair runner that looks like diamond shapes - like an argyle sweater pattern. I will use 3 colors and a tiny stripe near the edge going the length of the stairs.

• PRO
    Passionate Home
    7 years ago

When a human or dog slips and falls down the uncovered wood stairs, I can about guarantee that you'll want to put something on them. Our dog was very injured falling down the wood stairs, and I'd never again be without something on them. Because we have limestone on the front of each step, and then dark wood for the steps, we used treads on top versus runners. Works great for us. I also think that carpet runners are beautiful.

• Barb
    7 years ago
    When we moved into our house 2 years ago we hired people to paint & stain our stairs. They are beautiful but dangerous & loud!! On Jan 1 our adult daughter fell all the way down, broke her foot & had many bruises. 5 days later I fell down 2 steps & broke my foot!! We have had numerous other "almost" falls. I can't wait to put in carpet. We have held off because we have some remodeling to do upstairs, but I think we have waited long enough! My daughter will be in a boot for about 6 months, and I will for about another month!! I'm not a fan of sisal but I love the patterned rugs!! Thanks for all the great info!
  • PRO
    Passionate Home
    7 years ago

Barb, I am so sorry about the accidents you and your daughter have had because of your stairs. The reality of life is that we shouldn't let design/trends, etc., overshadow safety. Wood stairs are dangerous without some type of carpeting/treads.

• nsaspaces
    7 years ago

I am a decorator and I agree with nylon sisal.. Love the look and it's durable. My daughter, son-in-law, 2 grandchildren and the dog have fallen down their bare stairs. I suggest for safety reasons one should have a runner, but it also looks great. The carpet it tacked under the lip of the step. Make sure you have a qualified installer!

• Dolores DeLuise
    7 years ago

Personally, I love the look of the wood--btw, who makes "Jacobean"?--and if it were my stairway, I would keep it that way. My experience with both sisal and jute and kids and a dog is that it's very difficult, actually almost impossible, to clean after it's been stained, particularly with the dog. I understand why you want sisal; I don't like stairs with carpet on them and would rather have a flat weave. I once had, and can no longer find, cotton runners on my stairs. Loved it. It lasted about 15 years, and I could no longer find it when I wanted it replaced post-kids and -dog. Nylon sisal may be good--but check for static electricity issues. Best wishes.

• Susan Schutz
    7 years ago

We have half log stairs so runners wouldn't work. I'm thinking of using the same paint that I'm using on our porch from Sherwin Williams. SuperDeck is non-slippery and I can get it in any color I want so I'm thinking of a light natural color. I've slipped on the steps and the edges hurt the bottoms of our feet if we don't hit them right. Our dog has slipped as well.

• lulu
    7 years ago
    Just for fun
  • beaverwood2021
    7 years ago

Agree with monaellen. We have had a good-quality patterned runner for 25 years. It has weathered lots of boys, a dog and is now weathering grandkids and a cat. It still looks good.

• Sharla Wells-Di Gregorio
    7 years ago
    I love the dark color on your stairs. Beautiful.
  • nina47
    7 years ago

I've had sisal on the stairs for 24 years. It needs changing now but has withstood toddlers, teenagers and cats in that time. I had it put there originally so that the stairs weren't so slippery and have never regretted it.

• aparnakmiano
    7 years ago
    Since there are kids involved, definitely good to have carpet on stairs, especially as kids tend to run, not walk. I slipped down an entire flight of stairs carrying my newborn (he was ok, as he was on my chest), but I hit my head on all those steps. I would recommend carpet for safety. The bars that attach a loose runner to stairs are not strong enough to withstand kids & big dogs running on them; also a safety hazard. Also, in the dark, you tell the last step from the carpet/wood transition, and avoid missing a step. We have a narrow staircase, so the installers wrapped the carpet all the way around the step. It's not a runner, but I like it because it gives a more uniform appearance.
  • lolly P
    7 years ago

dont do sisal. how will it be cleaned? sisal and jute break down much much faster than carpet.

• PRO
    Robert Pizzo Illustration / Design
    7 years ago

FLOR has a few industrial traffic tiles that can easily be custom cut for the stairs and wear very well. We used them on the stairs to our basement.

• Cindy Lowery
    7 years ago

I have stone/porcelain tiles on my stairs. The whole first floor has the same tiles and everything echo's to the 2nd floor. Can I put a runner on the stairs? I was thinking of a natural/sisel runner.

• PJM Carlyle
    6 years ago

My son found some nearly invisible no slip tape for slick hardwood stairs. I've been very happy with these as a solution for my hardwood treads. I love the look of the wood and wasn't finding treads I liked. These collect a little dirt but can be swept with the steps. I'm not sure where he bought it online, but here is something similar: https://www.noslipstrip.com/products/no-slip-tapes

• A Goldman
    6 years ago

I have sisal on my steps and I just love it! It's beautiful and doesn't show dirt...although I don't have any pets so I can't say what the wear and tear would be with animals in the house.

• PRO
    Passionate Home
    6 years ago

A Goldman....I adore animals so they will always be part of our household, but I will admit that dogs do add in terms of wear and tear in a home.