isidora_markovic90

Herringbone metro tiles - on trend or to avoid?

Isidora Markovic
7 years ago

So we're all familiar with (and some of us even cherish) herringbone parquet, but now herringbone metro tiles - for splashbacks, feature walls, shower tiling - are cropping up here and there in homes on Houzz. What do you make of the classic herringbone pattern taking to walls in a material other than wood?

Emperors Gate, South Kensington, London · More Info

Sarah Richardson Design · More Info

Are you firmly of the opinion that herringbone should remain on the floor, or is it such a versatile, timeless pattern that you warm to and welcome its new incarnations?

Vote in the poll and get opinionated on the topic below!

On trend!
To avoid!
Other - share below!

Comments (17)

• Bromptons
    7 years ago

if everyone else is doing it do not follow the trend - be original, use colour, and a fine line of patterned tiles, and/or texture.

• User
    7 years ago
    They look to busy to me and remind me of those optical illusions that fry your brains if you look at them for too long.
  • Dawn
    7 years ago

I personally love the look of white metro tiles with grey grout. However, it seems like everyone is doing it which is not necessarily bad. It is a backdrop after all and the decorative elements can then be added. Change up is easy with such a 'neutral' background. I am not certain about the bathroom. I'm not really liking the dark tiles but then I'm not a 'modernist'. The tiles in the kitchen look fresh and fun. I think that it's personal taste. But I'd go for it in both rooms with the lighter tile.

• Emma Schoolderman
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I love the grey herringbone, but the white tiles are too small for me and the small size makes it look too busy. I think they need to be longer to see the herringbone effect.

• Coco Nuts
    7 years ago

Metro tiles have been done to death.Move on.

• Jennifer Kepler
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

maggieandrichard - we have a 100 year + old house with some metro tiles, where they are they look appropriate but hubby and I call them prison tiles- as we agree with you

as for on trend or to avoid- they are definitely on trend and thus to avoid because next year the look will be dated

• PRO
    Original Style
    7 years ago

Metro tiles are very versatile but also extremely popular. If you want to be slightly more original, choose the kit kat (longer, thinner) format instead. The herrigbone pattern looks fantastic with those. Explore other tiling suggestions if you think herrigbone looks too busy.

Daisy Satin Half Tiles · More Info

Chancel Grey Large Brick · More Info

• PRO
    mosaicsbypost.com
    7 years ago

love herringbone

• PRO
    Paul Hodgkiss Designs
    7 years ago

Always on trend for me

• PRO
    Mark Wray Architects
    7 years ago

Really like the different ways herringbone patterns are being used. We recently used a herringbone pattern for timber cladding.

• PRO
    REMEB
    7 years ago

Planning on bringing wood herringbone up the side of a kitchen island. Just waiting for the right client who wants to try something different.

• sukiharrison
    7 years ago
    I agree with MaggieandRichard metro tiles look like urinal tiles and also remind me of grubby underground tube stations !!!!
  • PRO
    Porcellana Tile Studio
    7 years ago

While the metro tile
    remains popular we are increasingly seeing the use of thinner and longer versions
    of the brick format which creates a more sophisticated and elegant look

• PRO
    Philip Kelsey Kitchens & Interiors
    7 years ago

An unusual twist on a well loved classic style.

• Sasha R
    7 years ago

May look cool if every so often there was a random patterned/coloured tile... other than that... yawn!

• PRO
    Estwall ceramic services
    7 years ago

A timeless classic always gives the wow factor