icklelynz

Planning refused

Lynsey Milne
7 years ago
Our planning has been refused over a glazed unit on a new gable end which we would like for our master bedroom both as its a north facing window to allow maximum light into the room but also as a real feature for the room. We are going to appeal the decision but am wondering if there are any configurations in design we are missing? I would also like all 3 bedrooms together upstairs so I am near my children for safety reasons. Any help appreciated.

Comments (10)

• Isidora Markovic
    7 years ago

Houzz community - has anyone else faced this problem and would you be able to help Lynsey Milne!?

• Danielle Garber
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I work for a housebuilder so we come across different planning requirements fairly often. If it's been refused purely on this it's likely that this window overlooks one of your neighbours gardens and would encroach on their privacy - if this is the case you're unlikely to get the decision overturned without some design changes. You could consider a couple of ideas

1) speaking to the planners to see if obscured windows or obscured glass panels would be acceptable

2) Change your plans and opt for Velux windows to allow for additional light in the room.

In either case it's worth trying to engage the planners to understand their reservations about the design and try and work together to find a solution that works for everyone.

• Lynsey Milne
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks larico, I've never seen that before but it is definitely something to consider as it doesn't detract much from original intention, great idea
  • Shaz Baker
    7 years ago
    We are in the same position where ours has been refused and for the same reasonsWe had to obscure window and make bottom part non openable.that meant we also had to change all the doors in the whole house to fire doors.roof lights let in a really good amount of light.
  • Lynsey Milne
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    We were happy to use opaque glass and have no objections to our plsns but planning didn't seem to think this was acceptable
  • moiraford
    7 years ago
    Hi, just had the exact same problem. If the north facing window overlooks neighbours rear gardens, the planners won't accept this window. What did the officers statement say? They should have laid out the reasons.
  • Lynsey Milne
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    It would overlook gardens but the neighbours concerned fully support our plans and we'd have the same views with velux windows due to the height they have to be at for safety regulations.
  • kikiamack
    7 years ago
    We have a window on our gable end and we had to specify opaque glass and just have the small flap opening at the top so we couldn't look down on next door's property. From my experience, it is not easy to get a clear answer from the planners as to what is acceptable, just what is not.
  • Danielle Garber
    7 years ago

It must be very frustrating but whilst the current neighbours might be fine with it, the planners have to protect future neighbours from being overlooked and they have to be careful not to set precedents in an area that could then be used to push through plans on other houses in the area where the neighbours do have objections.

The louvred doors look great - this could be an excellent solution.