kaitie09

I need help. "Curb appeal" landscaping in tough area

kaitie09
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm starting the process of creating a landscape design plan for this year, but I need help figuring out what to plant. Also wanted to add, I'm not a gardener at all, so besides planting bushes in a row, I have no idea how to lay anything out :) For starters this is our "entrance":

You actually enter through the gated part in the second photo. Our house is at the back of the lot up a steep hill, and you enter through the back. I'm standing in the driveway/parking pad. The original owners must have been gardening fiends, because most of the yard has remnants of old beds and stumps. As you can see now, our curb appeal is not very pretty or inviting. Our first spring, I created a small garden bed in the front that was only 2' feet deep and transplanted some hostas and a bleeding heart. I'm now in the position to really create a design for this area.

This spring I will be ripping out the old plants and mulch, edging new beds that will ideally be 4' deep with "brick" pavers, and putting a layer of compost down for the summer. I plan to plant in the fall and straw over the beds all winter. My biggest problem is figuring out what to plant. The property is basically all wooded. In the first photo, 50% to the left gets morning sun, and then almost fully shaded in the afternoon. The right side stays partially shaded until about 1pm, then gets full sun the rest of the day.

In the second photo, the empty space along the deck gets some morning sun, but is mostly shaded. We have acidic soil, zoned 7b, and have deer and cats that roam, plus the dog loves hanging out on the deck.

I'd like evergreens so that it stays somewhat nice looking all winter. I thought about yews, but worry the dog will nibble on them and the deer will snack on them. Then moved on to boxwoods, but worried about the smell, especially since this is the front entrance. Also have to take into consideration that anything that grows taller than 2 ft. may bump against the screened porch, and if it has thick branches, may put holes in it.

Long story short...I need help!

Comments (11)

Sponsored