janetelizabeth_cronin

Push-to-open mechanism on large IKEA wardrobe doors?

JE C
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all, I am wondering if anyone has done this or can help. I am looking to purchase some PAX wardrobes with Tanem plain profile doors in the largest size ( ~240 cm high). I really want to have no knobs, and a push to open mechanism, for a clean minimalist look. But the IKEA folks have said that their push to open hardware (kitchen or BESTA type) is not designed for doors this large and heavy and so is not compatible. I was wondering - there must be wardrobe companies that have large wardrobe doors with push to open mechanisms presumably? Does anyone know if or where I could buy suitable hardware to use on the IKEA doors which are a good size for my room, and reasonable quality for the cost ( so I would like to get them). ? Thanks for your help Janet

Comments (6)

• Olga
    6 years ago

Following this, I am after similar wardrobes. Want wardrobes that are almost flush with the wall, no handles. Would be interesting to find out if the push to open mechanism is available for wardrobes. Mine don't have to be quite as tall as yours.

• JE C
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi Olgast I have had some luck. I found a local supplier of hardware such as push to open mechanisms. They sell some Hettich ones that are designed for larger heavier doors so I will get some and use them with the IKEA Pax / Tanem wardrobes and doors. These are also avaliable in a slightly shorter size than the ones I have ordered so may suit you. Cheers Janet
  • Olga
    6 years ago

Good to know about the Hettich hardware. Will have a look :)

• blushingpixie
    5 years ago
    Hi there, we have just bought a long run of pax. I'm wondering did the hettich work out? Alternatively I really like those handles on the second picture - do you know where I might source?
  • Mark Dillon
    last year

I have used the Ikea Utrusta push opener on 240cm x 50cm pax doors and it effectively opens the door 5cm which is enough to then easily open the rest of the way by hand. The only issue is that in order for them to work well in terms of ease of use with a double door pax wardrobe, you really need a shelf mid height installed in order to mount the Utrusta so that they are located behind the doors as close to where a door handle would normally be. I did try mounting them on the top but then you need to push the door towards the top and reaching to do that is no fun.

I guess the other option if you needed a full length double wardrobe would be to mount them to base but then you would need to kick the door to open...

I was advised against it by ikea staff on the basis that they were designed for the metod doors but I have had them in for a month now and am happy with the result and would recommend it if you want a handless design with the caveat that you will need to have a shelf mid height in a double wardrobe system so you have something to mount them to where the doors meet in the middle at handle height.