elimorgan

Kitchen design dilemma in SW Florida

Elizabeth
6 years ago

I recently purchased a 1950s style ranch home in Southwest Florida. I'm trying to renovate the kitchen and great room and I'm struggling with a design idea. If I take out the wall and fireplace, how would you set up the family room/TV and add an island bar? I'm struggling to envision the most functional design for entertaining. Thank you.

Comments (8)

• Carly Schwanz
    6 years ago

Dimensions of the space would be awesome! Just a simple overall size (estimate even).

• chiflipper
    6 years ago

Structural engineer consult is required before any "design ideas". This fireplace wall is definitely load-bearing.

• Kfulls18
    6 years ago

even if the wall is structural - you should be able to do a pass through without losing too much storage.

Elizabeth thanked Kfulls18
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

A floor plan with measurements would help but on first glance, I would consider eliminating the fireplace and entire wall, closing off the kitchen door since you have sliders with access to the lanai, and doing an L shaped kitchen on the right and back walls with an island running parallel to the longest kitchen wall. The wall certainly does appear to be load bearing and will, as suggested above, require a structural engineer.

Elizabeth thanked katinparadise
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You're likely going to have to support that ridge beam, but it's likely the FP could be removed. This layout doesn't provide you with larger footprint for the kitchen, but by keeping all the utilities in the same location the cost to remodel will be less.

Might be a good idea to have a beverage fridge & bar facing out toward to dining area and sliding door to keep some of the traffic out of the kitchen.

If for some reason you still want a FP, I would recommend one of the new linear styles. There are only a few days down here that I even require a sweater, so a FP is more for appearance. Gas is available in in only limited locations in SWFL so electric might be the way to proceed. The appearance has improved tremendously and they can supply heat.

Elizabeth thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Design Everest
    6 years ago

It seems talking to a structural engineer is a great idea, as already has been said in the comments above. You might want to take the fireplace out, but keeping the storage will be essential for the actual kitchen. Keep us updated on how your project goes.

Luxury Custom Home Design · More Info

Elizabeth thanked Design Everest
  • PRO
    Lisa Scolieri Interiors
    6 years ago

Hello Elizabeth, just checking in and wondering if you found out your answer to your kitchen dilemma?