scarpullagirl

Mexican Tile Fireplace Surround Options

Cor Cor
7 years ago
Hi all. My fabulous Mexican tile manufacturer put together 3 options for my fireplace surround for our casa.

Now I'm stuck on which to choose.

P.S. The hearth will be traditional Saltillo tile.

Comments (29)

• Kfulls18
    7 years ago

option 1 for me!

• Mila Forni
    7 years ago
    #3. Very in keeping with how tile pattern is mixed in this style.
  • Sarah
    7 years ago
    3!
  • mmilos
    7 years ago

I like Option 3 - but I'd like to see it in a darker blue that matches the background of the mosaic.

• Porter Edun
    7 years ago

I am also in favor of 3, yet agree with mmilos on the surrounding color of blue. I'd go more toward a tone of blue such that is in the surround on the tile in photo 1.

• Carly Schwanz
    7 years ago

I find the blue trim to be limiting. I like the other two options better.

• reba120
    7 years ago
    Option 3!
  • PRO
    Presidio Tile & Stone
    7 years ago

I prefer 1

• Mila Forni
    7 years ago

These got flipped around somehow because #1 used to be #3!?? When I first commented the white was 1 the blue 2 and the patterned 3. Or maybe I'm delusional.

Anyway, I am loving the one with the patterned frame which is currently #1. Using two patterns is what I was referring to when I said it was common for Mexican tile work.

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

#1 all the way. However, looking again you have a Colonial French surround and your window trim.... the tile isn't in keeping with this style at all. Perhaps other aspects of you home blend with this tile? Kind of a disconnect. (One of the challenges of online advice without being in the space :)

• Mila Forni
    7 years ago
    Now it's showing the way it originally did.
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    7 years ago

Definitely no. 1! Your fireplace already has enough trim without adding more to the tiles. Plus, no. 1 is authentic Mexican style - very nice!

• Cor Cor
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Love and appreciate the comments.

Dragonfly. I totally get what you're saying. The house is a Spanish style but they went transitional on the fireplace surround. Will likely replace the mantle with a thick plank of wood to bring in a more rustic element.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

3. love the cobalt trim next to the saltillo. I have it on my front porch

• Cor Cor
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Beth, that's divine!!!
  • Cor Cor
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I wound up doing my own mockup based on the great feedback. Hard to see but the pencil trim is the darker cobalt that a few of you suggested and I added cream Andaluz field tile.

I think this is it. Option 4.

I appreciate the feedback so much!
  • Cor Cor
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Woohoo! Tile ordered!
  • Jane Gray
    6 years ago

It's beautiful! Please post a picture when it is completely finished.

• Cor Cor
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Tomorrow we grout. Not bad for a couple of non-tilers. Handmade tile definitely has its nuances so I’m not sweating our mistakes. It’s “Rustic Spanish Colonial Revival”
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Beautiful JOB!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Cor,,that looks very nice! and handmade is supposed to have, variations! are you doing a nice rustic wood mantle?

• Cor Cor
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Beth, that’s exactly what we’re doing. Hoping to find and old beam and some corbels at an architectural salvage place.
  • Cor Cor
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Grout done. Mantle and hearth trim next
  • Cor Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Done!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

CorCor. wow. that came out so nice! tiles are beautiful, and the wood is perfect. you two should be proud.

• Cor Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    And we’re still married!
  • Jane Gray
    5 years ago

Cor Cor, that's absolutely gorgeous! Well done!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

lol,,,well you've survived the renovation test! just wait until you do an entire kitchen or bathroom!