wangare_wambugu

New build-D R Horton

Wangare Wambugu
6 years ago
Hi, i hope i can have someone help me in this or if its a previously answered question, please refer me to it.
Well, after looking for options for our new home, we decided to go with D R Horton since they have in-house financing. After researching the reviews, which i came up with a mix of good and bad, we decided to give it a shot anyway. But am starting to have reservations. The sales guy is quite rigid, i dunno if am trying to haggle too much or what ( despite a few inconveniences on their part i would expect a brother to throw in a premium upgrade at least). Is this normal? We are coming in at the last phase of the build, there are options that are no longer available that came in standard with the other phases. Can anyone shed light into how one can handle this last-phase headache? Please, even if one is not able to answer the questions, share experiences, do's n don'ts of dealing with this builder.
Thanks in Advance.

Comments (15)

• havingfun
    6 years ago

always write in the first comment to get other answers

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

WHAT!!!....do you mean 'give a brother'? What does this have to do with anything.....Business is Business!!!

• PRO
    M&M Interiors
    6 years ago

You mentioned you may be trying to haggle too much. If you were given a price with a set list of options and you signed that agreement, what is there to haggle over? Are you now trying to change the terms of the agreement? If so, no matter who the builder is, there will always be a charge for changes. You will be paying the additional cost to make those changes. However, if part of your agreement was certain options and they are no longer available you have every right to demand an option of equal value. Good luck!

• athomeeileen
    6 years ago
    We're built twice, there was no haggling or negotiating. The price listed is what was paid.
  • Wangare Wambugu
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @millworkman, am slowly starting to get it. I just wasn't understanding how, for example during carpet selection we would be told to pick from a few choices that come standard but when the paperwork is printed out, there is an extra charge, albeit small, and then am told "well, u selected level 2!" Am just trying to make sure they r not trying to pull one over me coz in as much as they r trying to make money, i will be the one doing the paying for the next 30 years.
  • Wangare Wambugu
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @M&M interiors, yes that is the case for me. The signed paperwork and what they have available currently is not adding up (i guess in the course of building previous phases, certain materials have run out) and the few available choices r not going to work.
  • Wangare Wambugu
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @athomeeileen, what is your experience with them?
  • wacokid
    6 years ago

In the last phase of a project if the builder has sold out or is close then they are not going to give anything away.

• PRO
    Best Buy Blinds, Inc.
    6 years ago

I think it depends on how long they have been trying to sell the "last" property. I bought brand new for the first time last year and much of the choices were already made by their in-house designer. We were the 3rd family to purchase, I asked if they could put hardwood instead of carpet in one of the rooms before I signed, and the agent basically said, "nope...everything is just the way it is". I was not really willing to fight for it, so I let it go knowing I would have to add it later. However, I found out my neighbors negotiated hardwoods in all of their bedrooms upfront. So, I asked the question and was apparently not willing to walk away if they said no. If you don't negotiate before you sign the paperwork be prepared to take a hardline if you want something specifically done. I should have walked away before the signing if I wanted the hardwood floors badly. I am pretty sure they would have called me and made the change for me if I was willing to walk away.

• CLC
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

With a production builder new build, everything should be all set and signed off on before they even break ground. If you want to make changes after that, expect to pay or to be told no. And that should go both ways (they shouldn't be charging you more for something because it became an upgrade after signing your agreement). The time to ask for upgrades and/or customizations was very early on, before signing anything. They should not be changing the prices on anything after that, either. If you chose a standard carpet and that carpet is now considered an upgrade, they still need to honor what the price/option level it was when you signed the contract.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

You chose a mass production subdivision builder, not a custom builder. It is what it is, for a price. You do not get many choices, and everything that is desirable will be an upgrade. That is the reality of a production build. If you had different expectations, perhaps it's not too late to back out and choose to go with a custom build.

• athomeeileen
    6 years ago

My apologies WW, I did not build with Horton, but with a smaller subdivision builder. My husband thought he was going to negotiate pricing, but not a single penny was negotiated or thrown in. It was a very straightforward upgrade list.

• PRO
    My Beautiful Floor .com
    6 years ago

Upgrading your flooring even before the house is built is always a good idea. First, it will give you years of style, design and performance. Second, the time to negotiate is early in the process.

• millworkman
    6 years ago

"and the few available choices r not going to work."

Should have been planned out with ALL your choice before signing. Negotiating after a contract signing is futile. EVERY SINGLE item you upgrade you will now be paying a 200% premium plus change order charges. ASgain that is how they get you, and what you get dealing with a tract home builder, not too mention the fact that they are about sold otu at your developement. What is in for him at this point? There is no benfit to him to do anything but to get as much money as he can.