anne_hendricks

backsplash dilemma asap

Anne Hendricks
6 years ago
what is the best way to put backsplash? can I do fantasy brown granite 4inch all the way around and full behind stove and sink?

Comments (14)

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

first what is the counter going to be.... then pick your backsplash...

• PRO
    Organic Home Staging
    6 years ago

I have recently renovated a home in Maui and found that I really like not doing the 4 in granite backsplash but instead bring your backsplash to the top of the granite counter such as in this photo.

• kjoy1
    6 years ago

Yes...yes you can:) It is common to either do the standard 4 in backsplash or leave off the 4 in backsplash and choose a different backsplash that extends from the granite to the top of the cabinets. For a cleaner look...most people will advice you not to do both...for example a 4 in standard backsplash with subway tile added on top of that.

• PRO
    iSO Design
    6 years ago
    No, I don't recommend doing the 4in backsplash. Either take it all the way up with your granite or with subway tiles or a mosaic tile.
  • Dallas Williams
    6 years ago

4 inch granite is a waste of money. Spend the money the granite would cost and upgrade the tile backsplash instead.

The company that did our counter tops made that suggestion. We took the advise and instead of the standard subway tile we had considered we went with a 7 inch tile and it looks so much better than the kitchens we see with a granite piece stuck on the wall and then another type of backsplash above that. You won't regret not wasting the money on the 4 inch granite. Do the math and I think you will agree.

• Anne Hendricks
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    so to clarify:will have fantasy brown granite.
    microwave will be above stove (not in picture yet).
    was thinking 4inch all around and full behind the stove and sink with the fantasy brown. then just paint rest of area

Will that be ok?
  • Dallas Williams
    6 years ago

Tried to do an edit on my earlier comment. We used a 4x16 tile backsplash, not 7 inch. Our tile provider suggested it and we are very pleased with the results.

• Dallas Williams
    6 years ago

Ann, you will regret painting the rest especially behind the stove. Spend the extra money on tile....you will not regret it.

• User
    6 years ago

She did say she was tiling fully behind the stove and sink. You can do whatever you want...it's your house. But I really like the look of all tile backsplash all the way up to the cabinets, and even on all the walls...as long as it's not institutional looking.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

4" is not the best choice IMO... go with a simple tile for the wall from the counter up to the cabinets

• Anne Hendricks
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    flopsycat do you have pics?
  • Anne Hendricks
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    thanks for comments everyone.
    any suggestions for back splash easy care kept in mind

our fantasy brown is cream,gray, blue hint and some brown.
    white cabinets med brown floor, dark brown bar and island dividing kitchen from living room
  • Carly Schwanz
    6 years ago

I would suggest having the counter top installed before ordering any tile! The stone and the tile need to be seen together in the space before really knowing what they will look like together. It is not a bad idea to start gathering information though, and figuring out what you like... that way you can to into the tile store on a mission!