selena05

Chrome versus Nickel (burshed or not)

selena05
10 years ago
I'm in NZ and are planning to order a vanity and fittings for a bothroom from Restoration hardware. I don't know what looks better - and what most people are going for. We are doing a very understated, classical, sophisticated bathroom with carrara marble. I was thinking of brushed nickel. Any advice please?

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    10 years ago
    Brushed nickel is still very popular, at least with my customers. Even if it goes out of style and chrome become the norm, it's close enough that it won't matter.
  • selena05
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you - really appreciate your advice. It's hard buying online :-)
  • PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    You have to be careful with pre made vanities. If it is going to abutt a side wall that contains the entry door to the bathroom, the drawers may collide with the door casing (trim). In these cases a 3/4" filler is used to pull the cabinet away from the wall. The problem is most of these online cabinets have no fillers and even if they did, the countertop would then be too short. The process is not as easy as most folks think, and when they are done they settle with an unacceptable installation because they did it themselves, quite the contrary level of acceptance if a pro did it.
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Polished chrome is classic, low maintenance and less expensive than nickel. If fingerprints, watermarks or bath products such as toothpaste get on chrome, they are easily removable with soap and water without leaving stains. On the other hand, nickel requires more rigorous upkeep. For example, here are the Care & Maintenance instructions from Newport Brass (they make Restoration Hardware fixtures)

"General instructions for cleaning and caring for your faucets and bathroom fittings.

Our faucets and bath fittings are made of solid brass and are of the finest quality. To maintain the finish on these items, please do not use any abrasive cleaners, rubbing alcohol, ammonia, detergents, brass or silver polish which will scratch the surface. Clean with a soft damp cloth.

Applying a coating of a non-abrasive liquid wax to the clean surface of the product will protect the finish.

Brass ProTech, product of Brasstech, Inc., can be used on all types of decorative painted and plated finishes. Simply apply Brass ProTech with a soft cloth and let it dry. Remove by rubbing gently with a soft dry cloth. Brass ProTech does not contain harsh abrasives.

We highly recommend using Brass ProTech regularly on items finished in Polished Nickel (15), Satin Nickel (15S), Polished Silver (25) and Satin Silver (25S).

Do not allow soap scum or minerals in water to build up on the surface finish of your faucets or bath fittings (including toothpaste). These will gradually wear away the protective coating or finish and diminish the beauty of your products.

Living Finishes and Uncoated Finishes

03W, 08W, 25 and 25S are living finishes. 03N is an uncoated finish. Depending on maintenance and use, these finishes will naturally weather and change color. Our warranty does not cover living or uncoated finishes. Finish colors can vary and change in color is unpredictable."

I recommend chrome in one of the many classic styles available to complement your carrara bathroom.