georgiee_

Which flooring? Laimate, vinyl or a hybrid

Georgie O
6 years ago

My partner and I are building our first home. We have chosen a white kitchen, white wall tiling throughout our wet areas, with grey floor tiles in wet areas- except the kitchen. In the kitchen, living area and 4 bedrooms we have decided to go with a laminate, hybrid or vinyl flooring. We looking at a darker grey shade to hide our dogs black fur.

I would like feedback on personal experiences and preferences with these types of flooring, including installing and maintaining. I am conscious that we will need a waterproof option.

Thanks in advance

Comment (1)

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Georgie

Laminates are pretty ordinary...

Essentially they are an mdf (medium density fibre board) with a print over the top and a wear coating over that. The focus of the advertising for these products is that the wear layer has so many years etc etc....

What they don't say is that MDF does not like water so every time you mop it the water gets into the joins and it swells right at the edges of each and every board..... just like the joins on those old orange/green benchtops from years ago...

that is why 'hybrids' have been developed which instead of mdf use a blend of limestone and vinyl... to get a water proof finish... we don't have feedback on these yet to comment.

personally, of the 3 you are looking at I would choose a good quality vinyl plank eg Karndean.. it's tough and will take a beating...

I would recommend you do your research by going to a couple of different flooring outlets, hearing all the opinions/stories and then go with what you feel comfy long term and not what is on 'special'...

Cheers

Georgie O thanked User