robin_lyttle

big, brown & boxy in need of a refresh

Robin Lye
6 years ago
We’re trying to figure out what color to paint our big brown house. Previous to us owning it, the house was painted a pale yellow. We don’t want to change the blue roof or dark brown window frames, but may consider painting the garage doors. We sit back from the road and have lots of trees, so the current color blends in nicely. But it’s just so brown! Any recommendations for colors we should consider?

Comments (3)

• Kim
    6 years ago
    Do you know what "colour" your house currently is?
  • Robin Lye
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    No idea tbh! I know the name of the door color... :)
  • Kim
    6 years ago

My thoughts are either you keep it a sort of brown but with a more greenish undertone and less "pinky". Resene Pravda would work beautifully. (I have done a house that also had brown joinery). I would change the garage doors to "blend" in with the house colour - don't try to accent them too much. The fence, if you go that direction, would be an even darker "brown" to create a bit for interest and create a bit of depth as you look at your house - Resene Marsala??

Option 2: Go completely different and head back to "white" with a grey edge. I would go for something like Resene Triple Seafog, Resene Double Merino perhaps. What I am thinking is basically a white that has a hint of grey in it to tie in with your blue roof. Once again, don't want the garage doors to be that "light" (ie. the house will look virtually pretty white overall) so probably go a very pale but light grey for the garage doors (Resene Silver Chalice/Resene Quarter Atmosphere). The fence would again head to an even darker grey like Resene Double Stack. The ballustrade could either go back to main house colour white or you could use the same as the garage doors.

If neither of these two options appeal then look at a beige but not too much of a yellow undertone. Also have a chat with your local paint shop. Always use testbots. Colour is like a chameleon so it will reflect its surroundings.

Love your front door! Perhaps one large, tall as you can afford, pot with a statement plant - wait will you've painted the house first so you know what colour pot.

Let me know how you get on.