sandy_foody

Living Room Update Ideas?

Sandy
6 years ago

I've been trying to update my living room for the past few months (not over the holidays). I bought new furniture, white and gray, I painted the walls from beige to gray with and smoky blue around the windows, and I'm trying to accent in cobalt/navy blues. The room doesn't look finished to me. I would love to get some ideas and suggestions. Excuse the pups on their perch!

I've been trying to update my living room for the past few months (not over the holidays). I bought new furniture, white and gray, I painted the walls from beige to gray with a smoky blue around the windows, and I'm trying to accent in cobalt/navy blues. The room doesn't look finished to me. I would love to get some ideas and suggestions.

Comments (61)

• Irene Morresey
    6 years ago
    Looking lovely, well done, perhaps a few more cushions and like Flo said play around with you pictures. Sometimes grouping similar pics look effective.
  • Sandy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone! I actually had the mirror where the ship was, and didn't like it. The mirror was too big and heavy. That's the reason for moving it above the spiral stairs. I think I need to find new art for that room! My art doesn't go together at all... but it was blue, and I stole the pieces from other rooms in the house. It's so hard to find art I like! I agree that the paint around the window is too dark. I dread painting around that window again, but I think it would be worth it since it makes the maple around the windows stand out., which I don't like.. I considered getting the wood painted white, but I'm afraid to do that. I just had my kitchen painted and the owner is giving me an estimate to get all of my woodwork painted. Any opinions on that?

• Related Discussions

Ideas on updating on the cheap?

Q

Comments (11)
    The floor and cabinets almost look like the same color. I would lighten the cabinet color - making sure it doesn't clash with the floor color. I would also modernize the open cabinet above the microwave by removing the moulding, or adding a door. I'd find an inexpensive countertop that pops against the wood (or painted) wood cabinets. Change out the cabinet glass to clear, and do a new backsplash that brings it all together. And, finally add a cool light fixture, and maybe a kitchen rug.
    ...See More

New TV room needs ideas

Q

Comments (4)
    I would move the two chairs against the wall with the table between for a "side" seating area... which can still see the t.v. (needs some baskets or something under that table... a trunk maybe...to bulk it up). Then make an L shape with the other couch/loveseat that you have. You also have great storage along the tv wall but it's kind of bland... punch it up with a color along the back of the bookcases or a funky wallpaper. Drapes for a punch of color with some other accessories and you'll have a gorgeous room. It also looks like you have an ottoman.... put a tray on top and use it as a coffe table for a while.
    ...See More

Completed my Surprise update for my Parents room!

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks Karen. Now that mostly everything else are in more calming colours it does not seem so bad.
    ...See More

Kitchen Dinner and Living Room or Kitchen and Dining Room?

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi, We have recently renovated our kitchen, and have had the idea to turn our living room into a dining room. The idea is, that we would have some really comfy chairs and would be able to relax while sitting around the table; so the dining table wouldn't be only for meals. Then rather than having a dining table, we would have a bench with bar stools on the kitchen/living room wall. (nb the wall is load bearing and cannot easily be removed so this isn't an option). The other option is to keep the living room and set it up with a sofa, coffee table and a couple of occasional chairs. Dining wise we would have a smaller dining table in the kitchen. The living room opens on to the lounge which is set up as a TV room. There is also a guest bedroom and bathroom downstairs; the family bedrooms and bathroom is upstairs. We will also have an outdoor dining table in the undercover area outside the kitchen. I look forward to your thoughts and ideas.
    ...See More
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    6 years ago

I see no need to paint your woodwork. Your wood tones all go together and your room is flooded with light so no need to brighten it up. I agree on the paint color and reworking the art. Also the vibrancy of your accent color is too intense. The same idea is a more muted shade would work better. You have nice views from your windows; I would forgo draperies.

Sandy thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • PRO
    Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
    6 years ago

I think you definitely needs drapes to give it a finished look. White linen would look lovely.

Sandy thanked Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
  • wsea
    6 years ago

I wouldn’t paint those windows. It would totally mess them up. No curtains either but if you need privacy or light control I would add Roman or roller blinds inside each window frame.

Also if you can I would replace the coffee table. The metal work mimics the carpet design too much. Plus you need to bring the Seating in so you can reach the table, Right now it’s floating in space.

I also agree with lighter walls. I particularly like Grover’s first color rendering, much calmer looking and really showcase the beautiful windows.

Sandy thanked wsea
  • K Laurence
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Some good suggestions above, my only comment is to NOT paint the windows, I love them.

Sandy thanked K Laurence
  • Sandy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I LOVE Grover's color too! It's fantastic. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and re-paint around the windows. It won't take that long. Honestly, after I did it, I didn't like it. Everyone who came in said they liked it, so I thought perhaps it was just me. Finding art will be a slow process since I can never find anything I like. Believe me, I look for things all the time. I also agree I need new tables. I just used what I had. I actually painted the one that mimics the rug since it used to be green. It's a nice big table though. The only one I saw that I liked was a couple grand.. so not what I wanted to pay for a new table. Hence, the painted one. I've never used this site before. You all are terrific! Such good eyes for design!

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Sandy thanked groveraxle
  • Irene Morresey
    6 years ago
    Have a look online at Etsy for art, great prices and beaut art
    Sandy thanked Irene Morresey
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

I'd like to see rug's color on the wall - nothing too 'pretty' ...

https://www.houzz.com/products/city-of-new-york-1846-25x15x30-prvw-vr~75881252

Sandy thanked everdebz
  • Sandy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Pretty pillow, but I don't love floral prints on fabrics. I would love it someone else's house though!

• Sandy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Grover... love how you can change a photo to get a different perspective! I like the shape and color of the pillow! The size of the artwork seems better as well. Thanks again!

• ilesliemy
    6 years ago
    Pretty.
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    6 years ago

In a perfect world, designers and architects would work together during the initial floor planning stage BEFORE a home/space is built. If you own this home and one day wish to spend the extra money, an additional window pane needs to be added on the right side when facing your two arm chairs and on the left side when facing your white sofa. The architect has centered your windows on each respective wall but forgot to take into account the staircase and center the windows on either side according to the space that is left. This is why things seem a little off. You could rock asymmetry , but you seem to like symmetry so here are my two cents worth:

-Your paint colours are fine. You have a gorgeous vaulted ceiling in that space, take your grey colour and paint out your white ceiling. This will add instant lift to your visual and make space appear larger. Keep the wood frames on your windows, they are just fine...although I would eventually change the colours of the stair railing and spindles. If you do not like the wood, use colour programs to find a colour you feel compliments the dark grey blue. Personally I like the contrast this colour provides in your space. Makes things seem less flat. It's easy to paint the wood.

-Circular mirror needs to move, as does the sailboat image. The mirror can go at the top of the landing where you have that glass table (those two fuzzy pillows belong on your grey armchairs by the way). Something so heavy over a piece so fragile is also off balance, so I would find a furniture piece that is visually heavy enough to ground that mirror or keep the glass table, find yourself a taller, vertical, thin to medium thick framed silver mirror too hang above it. Accessorize with non metalics.

-Little table between grey chairs needs to change. Something thicker with more visual weight to it is needed.

-I would go with a different material for your lampshades that adds another layer/texture and colour to the space.

-The small picture, sailboat pic and white framed images need to go. The white frame and matting are a good idea. Two vertically tall white framed images could be hung on either side of the dark grey blue window wall. Any black frames in this space should be thin.

-Coffee table: flower vase should be 3-4 times its current size. Think bold! I would also accessorize with 2-3 large coffee table books...adds another layer/texture. No small trinkets.

-Don't know how much head space you have to work with, but that hanging light pendant in your staircase could be more substantial. A fuller type of hanging light with several lights...not just one bulb.

-Lastly curtains. You could fool the eye and hang curtains that frame the window on the wall behind your grey armchairs but start the rod directly over the left pane so that you are left with one centered window pane. This trick might not work if you go with really sheer curtains as light will come through.

**If it were me, I would buy a nice bookshelf or armoir with doors as wide and as tall as three of your window panes to cover up the window behind your sofa thus helping to center it and add final symmetry to your space OR the entire width of that wall in bookcase. Yup! Make the windows disappear! Cost way less than adding a window. This would get rid of the distraction through those windows and all the wonderful natural light in that room will not suffer.

Have an excellent week.

Sandy thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

Put an armoire in front of the windows? No no no no no.

This room is almost awesome. A couple of tweaks is all it needs.

Sandy thanked groveraxle
  • Jeanne Cardwell
    6 years ago
    Chairs need lumbar pillows in a print. Sofa, I would keep the blue solid pillows, exchange white ones from bench. Don't like pillows on sofa to match sofa. Yes on plants.
  • teamaltese
    6 years ago
    I think you need color, and pattern. You can get this in your art choices, but I’d also look for pillows with a pattern that incorporates the gray and blue, and a third color, such as yellow or red, to add warmth. I love the bones of this room, and oh, boy, your doggos look comfy! LOL!
  • MJ CHOE
    6 years ago

OMG! Your pups are TOOOO CUTE!!!

Sandy thanked MJ CHOE
  • Mary Nigro
    6 years ago

I wouldn't paint your wood, I know in today's world of white trim its tempting but you'res is very pretty. If I painted anything I would paint the stair rails black, or if budget permits replace with iron, I would also paint the window wall as suggested. It's a very beautiful room!

Sandy thanked Mary Nigro
  • Sandy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow! Thanks everyone! Good, great advice here. I think I'm going to go ahead and paint around the window to get rid of the dark color, put a couple of lumbar pillows on the chairs, and continue to look for artwork. No curtains at least for now. I'll probably need to live with my tables for awhile longer since I'm going to start re-doing my bedroom next and will definitely post here before I begin! My bedroom needs a lot of help (it hasn't been updated for at least 10 years! It is in need of a lot of help and I love the suggestions you all have provided.

• jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    The windows are far too prominent, and they give the room a heaviness it doesn’t actually have. Paint all window frames the semi-gloss or eggshell version of your wall colour.
    Sandy thanked jbtanyderi
  • jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Otherwise, the room is beautifully balanced.
    Sandy thanked jbtanyderi
  • sondramartina
    6 years ago

This is a beautiful room and those windows are gorgeous . I would go with off white but I guess its too late now .

Contemporary Living Room · More Info

Sandy thanked sondramartina
  • Sandy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks! If I go with white trim, it will have to be done professionally, and they have to do the entire first floor. I'll have to think about that for awhile!

• PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    6 years ago

Agree with above that mirror and artwork need to be relocated. I actually like your gray wall color with your wood trim, however the accent wall painted the same consistent color throughout your space would make those beautiful windows and angles of your space pop and be a focal point. Agree, no window treatments unless privacy is a concern. Height and contrast in coffee table would balance the space. You have selected nice furnishings but just need some tweaking. The rug is not placed symetrical as arrows pointing to the areas of correcting the placement. Black dark coffee table for contrast and simple lines. I think you have a table behind your sofa? Lamps possibly could go there for height. Assumed you have floor outlets as lamps flanking sofa on tables. Floor lamp in corner behind chairs for height and visual interest for harmony without competing with stairs and window. Best of luck....

Sandy thanked Jodie White Designs
  • Sandy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Jodie! I cannot move the area rug over since it would run into the stairs.

• PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    6 years ago

Can you move the sofa to the left and table?

• Sandy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Unfortunately, I can't move the table any further or it would run into the wall.

• Susan Davis
    6 years ago

I think you need to hang curtains first on the side windows from the ceiling; leave the window wall alone; it is beautiful. Then think about taking all your ART and start designing a gallery wall first on the floor that will go on the stair case wall all the way down to the ground floor. Start at the top over the console table and use what you have and then over the next year as you collect art add to it and let it expand as you like it. Then be brave and leave all the other walls brave and let their bareness be the design element...you have made some really lovely choices I think! Love it.

Random including the colors in the room and then some but 2/3 BIG and 1/3 smaller. Keep pics about 3-5 inches apart I think, but play with it.

Traditional Residence · More Info

Sandy thanked Susan Davis
  • Sandy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That is an interesting idea about the artwork to extend it over to the stairs. So you think curtains on the side windows? I would never put curtains on the large front window. Problem with putting the art on the one wall is that facing the room from the dining room, I think it would like like nothing has been finished?

• Susan Davis
    6 years ago
    I think if you start with what you have it might be enough for now and you can see what you think? An easy way to do it is to put art on floor and design there before you hang or cut out newspaper shapes in the picture sizes and place those on the wall. Also it sure where your dining room is? Haha!
  • Sandy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

View of living room from kitchen. The dining room is between the living room and kitchen.

• Sandy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Sandy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My photos are dark because of the lighting. I took pics with an iPad

• Sandy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Sandy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lamp in the corner behind the chairs?

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Ah, geez, Sandy, you don't need our help. Your home is beautiful. And in the latest photos, I can see the living room walls are not as dark as they first appeared.

Here's an arc lamp:

Sandy thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Gorgeous home and you have done a great job with it. Your coffee table could scoot to 18" from the front edge of the sofa. It is really to service people sitting on the sofa. I think with rearranging the wall hangings it can be even a bit better. I am so impressed you have considered the "lines of sight" from various rooms. Most don't, so kudos to you!

Sandy thanked Flo Mangan
  • Rebecca
    6 years ago

More accent pillows with color and maybe changing your picture on the wall to a more colorful canvas art piece. I like the idea of adding a lamp in the picture above from groveraxle. I would start with these little changes before changing furniture out unless you need a big change. Love, love, love those windows by the way!!

Sandy thanked Rebecca
  • therightlook
    6 years ago
    Your home is gorgeous. A bigger cobalt blue container and a tall beautiful pink orchid on coffee table. And two small pillows on your gorgeous chairs.
    I love the ceramic pottery on the dining table.
    Sandy thanked therightlook
  • Sandy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Groveraxle! Any chance you would look at the bedroom I posted? It is ugly sage green. The only thing I have done so far is to move a desk next to my bed as someone suggested (I posted the change). I may get new furniture in summer, but am going to use what I have for now. It's very large wooden furniture. I am looking for a good color scheme. The sailboat from my LR may work in there somewhere!

• sbehlen
    6 years ago
    You have a beautiful home. Do you mind me asking where you purchased your square dining room table? Looks like you can seat quite a few people around it. Are you happy with yours? My daughter has been thinking of doing a square table?
  • Sandy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks! I actually wanted a large square table for the dining room, so I purchased two tables from Crate and Barrel and pushed them together to create a square. The table is called Paloma I think. I got chairs from wayfair. Crazy, but it worked!

• Sandy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

i also chose a bookcase to act as my china cabinet since I don't use fine china.

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Grover's window shades bring rug color up. Warming. :)

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Tall arc lamp swoops / sweeps? across, like upper windows have angle... nice.

• Sandy B
    6 years ago
    Thanks for your response! what a creative idea! I'll tell my daughter:)
  • Sandy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I don't think I want to put anything on the front LR window. The side windows might look nice with drapes? The side windows would be the only ones I would cover. I may look at lamps next time I'm out.

• PRO
    MARGARITA BRAVO
    6 years ago

We love what you have started to do with your space, it just seems like it needs a few more things to be just right. Why not try one of your art pieces above the acrylic table since you said you already tried the mirror and it didn't work? The sailboat or white framed piece might work. It does look like a lot of the pieces hung around the room are a bit random, so you might want to take the other pieces down for now (the sailboat and mirror specifically). Perhaps try an arc lamp in the corner where the sailboat piece is currently? This might add great interest in that area. Also to connect the chairs to the rest of the room it might be nice to see some lumbar pillows with white and navy in them on the chairs. We've included a few of our designs below to help guide you. Note how in the first photo we have an arc lamp, and pillows of various colors from the artwork we used on the sofa? In the second photo we used a great piece of artwork over a nice statement piece in a living room for one of our clients.

Living Rooms · More Info

Living Rooms · More Info