jm195607

farm sink/cabinet confusion

Jenny Scott
6 years ago
Hello everyone,
So we are building a home (almost done) and we have a farm sink cabinet and just received our sink yesterday. Cabinet is your typical 36 inch farm sink cabinet and sink is measured at 33 inches.
We were told that said sink has to be “placed” in cabinet before we get measured for counters. So we went to do this yesterday evening. I guess we were naive to think sink just sits in because that is not the case. The sink can’t just sit in the cabinet with having something to sit on inside the cabinet. We were so confused because there was no type of brackets or anything to brace the sink with. Then the front of the sink doesn’t even stick out of the cabinet. Did we buy the wrong size? I read online for 36 inch farm sink cabinet to get a 33 inch sink (on multiple articles) do we have to physically cut this cabinet?? I’ve attached a picture of the cabinet.
Can someone help us out? Send pictures or links because I am so confused.
Thanks!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    6 years ago

Farm sinks do require a bit more work on site. Almost all cabinet manufacturers make 'farm sink base cabinets' like yours in the photo. It's a universal cutout so you can cut to fit YOUR sink. With a lot of farm sinks (ie fireclay especially), their dimensions can vary +/- 1% or more. Some cabinet brands will do a custom sized cutout for you. In that case, you order your sink, measure it and then specify the cutout size on the cabinet order. I prefer 'apron front' sinks like Kohler Whitehaven....the cutout doesn't have to be PERFECT as the sink front lips over the cutout.

You also must install your own support for these types of sinks.

• Jenny Scott
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oh thank goodness! We were so worried we messed something up! Thank you both!
  • PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    6 years ago

Yes the Kohler cast iron sinks will cover the cut. They are far easier to install

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Wood grows on trees and shrinks over time, breaking the seal between the sink and the bottom of the top creating leaks. Contact Pete, please.

• PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    6 years ago

The Pete device has some issues in that it has only a few contact screws attaching it to the side of the cabinet and a single threaded screw adjusting it's height. That it is adjustable and looks good is it's added value. Over time I doubt it would preform any better than a well built wooded frame.

• artistsharonva
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Video How to Install Apron Sink

http://www.diynetwork.com/videos/install-an-apron-kitchen-sink-65181

If you look up on youtube, there are more how to instructions.

If in doubt, hire a Pro.

Farmsinks are heavy filled with water

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

IMO since you really did not know what you needed to do I would hire someone to do this right.

• brdrl
    6 years ago

Ours sits on a shelf in the cabinet. This was before they drilled the hole for plumbing:

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

"Over time I doubt it would preform any better than a well built wooded frame."

There are no adjustments to tighten a well built wooded frame that has shrunk and let the sink flange pull from the top bottom as there are with Pete.

• PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    6 years ago

@Joe You obviously like Pete. Metal shims would be what you would raise the sink with if it dropped. Even wood shims would be fine as that is what the sink base itself is shimmed to height with. A combination of both would be best of all. The wooden frame will never fail completely and only possibly need shimming. In reality since the 2x4's are kilm dried when installed and are in a somewhat moist environment under a sink the wood shrinking would be less likely than wood compression due to the weight. It is also the time tested method of installation.

it is just as likely in my opinion that the Pete device would sag as the screws pulled in the plywood and the single screw raising the frame took stress and vibrations. If the homeowner knew what they were doing adjusting the Pete device would be a lot easier which is it's biggest advantage. But overall I think either method is fine.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Here's a picture of "time tested" wood blocking holding an undermount sink in place.

Here's a close-up the perfect insect habitat created by the leak, the wood, and the darkness. Right next to where you're preparing food for your family and no way to clean.

• PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    6 years ago

Now you are getting silly showing water damaged poor framing. Do you have stock in Pete, is he a relative, or are you just a little hyper about this topic? Please don't copy and paste what I just typed as is your usual response to any disagreement on Houzz. I think we are all getting tired of the repeats in quotes.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

How is it "silly" to substantiate one's claims with picture proof?

No, I have no economic or other connections to Pete, but even if I did, my circumstances are irrelevant to my arguments.

• PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    6 years ago

Couldn't control quoting, I see.

Look at the sensible DIY video artistsharonva posted. There can be more ways to do something then you particularly espouse, and others preferring those ways doesn't make you wrong, The photos you posted don't show the proper installation of an undermount sink, much less the farm sink we are actually discussing. So they are only proof of a lack of people skills.

I'm done debating now. Feel free to quote at length.

• mrstad
    6 years ago
    Joseph Corlett, I appreciate your opinions and advice in so many of these dilemmas. I am sorry this man is being inappropriate in his comments. Please continue to share your knowledge and pictures.
    Thank you
  • PRO
    Chambord France (USA)
    6 years ago

One option if you are going with a Stainless Steel sink is the EZApron sink by Nantucket Sinks. Here is a video clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCvBz_Lzb9o  You don't have the fake drawers but you do have a fascia board which this sink would slide down and over. They have 33 inch models which would serve your need.