nahb

1904 Farm House Renovation Project

National Association of Home Builders
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This 1904 farm house was restored to make the home livable with today’s amenities while taking care to showcase the simplicity of the historic building elements.

Photos by Sarah Natsumi Moore

Project Team: Laughlin Homes & Restoration Inc.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Comments (35)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

It's cute and all, but it's about as far from a "restoration" as you can get.

• PRO
    Mega Builders
    6 years ago

Nicely done!

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    6 years ago

What a transformation!

• PRO
    Pearl Remodeling
    6 years ago

Definitely brought life to this farm house. Amazing job!

• PRO
    Posavek Construction, Inc.
    6 years ago

Looks very clean, love it!

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    6 years ago

Great work!

• juddgirl2
    6 years ago

Very nice!

• PRO
    M&R Custom Millwork Inc
    6 years ago

Love the kitchen remodel the best! Stunning cabinets and shelves!

• PRO
    Smartland Residential Contractors
    6 years ago

Great job!

• PRO
    Maya Construction Group
    6 years ago

Simple restoration, yes. But the impact on what it did to this old farmhouse is amazing. The beauty of it still shownand intact. I think you did a pretty good job. Definitely brought back life to this.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Beautiful work!

• Jodie Brown
    6 years ago
    I like it! Very cute.
  • PRO
    Architecture Plus Inc
    6 years ago

Looks great!

• PRO
    May Construction, Inc.
    6 years ago

Looks amazing!

• PRO
    Pittenger Builders
    6 years ago

Nice, not overly done.

• bubblyjock
    6 years ago

The after looks rather generic and characterless to my eyes, and I can't believe you took out those built-ins flanking the door. They don't make 'em like that any more!

• PRO
    Nanke Signature Group
    6 years ago

Beautiful work!

This new design has helped to update the home without compromising its historic charm. The balance of white with natural wood finishes achieves a fresh and inviting look! Your new front door is a particularly lovely update!

• PRO
    Compo Builders Inc
    6 years ago

Great work!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

This is actually probably the most depressing thread in kitchens in a very long time. Not one of the non-pros (i.e., potential customers) likes it, but there seems to be an unlimited supply of pros to bump this thread and maybe you guys actually do like it, which is pretty awful to contemplate. Just don't ever hire yourselves out to work on old houses, please, y'all, if you mean your comments here.

• PRO
    National Association of Home Builders
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks all for providing feed back! It looks like we have a mix of pros/non-pros who liked the project, but let's face it - everyone has an opinion on what makes a great home.

Whether you liked the final results or not, in the end, it's the homeowner's opinion that matters - and they were absolutely delighted with the final results!

• PRO
    Belinda Kelly Interior Design
    6 years ago

You did a lovely job. I like that you maintained the intregity of this country home.

• juddgirl2
    6 years ago

I love built-ins (and the older the better) and normally like to retain all the character of older homes, but I don't think the way these built-ins had so closely flanked the doorway was aesthetically pleasing at all. Not even in an old-house charming sort of way. Just my (non-professional) opinion :)

• Cindy
    6 years ago

I wouldn't call it 'restoration' as it seems that little has actually been restored; however, as an upgrade having certain elements brought in which are reminiscent of an earlier period, it looks really sweet. Happy to hear the homeowners love their space. The kitchen is nice and bright :)

• bubblyjock
    6 years ago

tnfarmhousefixin - upon closer inspection, I think you might be right - maybe they were, say, a 1940s addition and the latest modernization effort shown here simply took the doorway back to its original dimensions?

• PRO
    Stecki Construction
    6 years ago

Wow! Love the transformation! Love everything about the kitchen! The ceilings are gorgeous!

• PRO
    Smartland Residential Contractors
    6 years ago

Looks great!

• PRO
    KT tile
    6 years ago

You did wonderful job!

• netshoppr
    6 years ago

What a fantastic transformation. The homeowners must be very happy - I know I would be! The fact that you kept the integrity of an old home and breathed new life into it speaks volumes. Very well done.

• charaj00
    6 years ago
    I think widening the Dining Room entrance was the right move. Hopefully, you are able to repurpose the built in cabinets in another poject. The ceiling in the Living Room is fabulous. Love the Kitchen. Very nicely done. Congratulations!
  • daisysbug
    6 years ago

Beautiful!

• Jeff G
    6 years ago

No shiplap. Sad!

• Kendrah
    6 years ago

Great from the outside. Glad they kept the flooring and fireplace. Sad they took out the build ins. They were an awkward size but surely something could have been done to make them look wonderful. Kitchen is a bit much.

• PRO
    Lumber One Cold Spring
    6 years ago

Love how you lightened up the whole feel of the space, while keeping a lot of the original wood and unique aspects of the home.

• pamelamacleod
    6 years ago
    Absolutely beautiful!