andrew_fox_lane

Woodland Grey fail? Repainting exterior portions with Monument?

Andrew Fox-Lane
6 years ago

I've just painted our house with a charcoal roof and Woodland Grey guttering, downpipes, blind boxes, porch post, garage door and fence.. it looks good (I think) in low light but in direct sunlight not so much. My partner thinks the roof looks great.. could I paint the fences (I've only applied one coat so far) in Monument to give the look a bit more strength? I don't really want to repaint the garage door but I guess I could do that too. Any advise on what would look best appreciated! Photos below.

You're paranoid, stick with Woodland Grey.
Monument will look sexier, more painting for you!

Comments (14)

• Andrew Fox-Lane
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Bonus before pic.

• PRO
    Regenerative Designs Australia
    6 years ago
    If you want a dark look even in full sun, I recommend a near black like Resene Blackjack. I think monument looks too light (grey) in full sun too. Try a sample pot and see what you think.
  • annb1997
    6 years ago

Andrew, I think the reason the fences look lighter in full sun is due to the width of the palings and the amount of light going through the gaps to expose what is on the other side, so I'm not completely sure painting them darker will make a significant difference. Having said that, you could paint a smaller section and see how it looks in full sunlight.

For what it's worth, your house looks terrific.

• Andrew Fox-Lane
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Annb, appreciate the compliment :)

• bigreader
    6 years ago
    It looks good. Add some plantings and once they grow the paint colour will settle in not the background. The lonely pot near the garage needs to be upgraded.
  • Sarah Sarah
    6 years ago
    Your house is lovely! What is throwing me out is the yellowish/cream colour on the diamond and line along your house in the brickwork. Maybe that needs to change colour too.
  • C P
    6 years ago
    I'd do the garage door rather than the fence as it's an easier job and more of a solid surface. The fence looks fine as it is.
  • wuff
    6 years ago
    Paint is an amazing product, hard to believe same house, good job, I like it as woodland grey, the second coat on fence will make a difference, if you do change, I like the black jack
  • Sarah Beutel
    6 years ago
    The top pic
  • PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    6 years ago

woodlands is a sympathetic tone to the more heritage nature of the brickwork - black is cool, but arguably more contemporary - for what it's worth, for the time/effort etc I'd just stick/live with it - if you ever get around to reciting/repainting down the track then consider changing it - put it this way it's not going to change the value of your home one way or the other if it's monument or woodlands - we're debating shades of grey here, not stark contrasts ;)

• Sarah Sarah
    6 years ago
    Idea
  • tickconnor
    5 years ago
    I think the paint is fine. It’s now planting greenery which will improve the look immensely. Having greenery just showing through will make a big difference. It looks so bare now. Add a small tree if you can or something that grows over the fence maybe? What ever style you like.
  • me me
    5 years ago
    I agree with Paul Di, leave it as is. Looks really good.