squirrel30

Embracing 80's design - colour query

squirrel30
6 years ago

Second post on this question, but different name (forgot my old log in details) We have an 80's house, lots of timber - beams and ceilings, full length glass windows (mission brown frames that look black unless standing next to them) and reddish/orange brick tiles. All the timber wall panelling (diagonal and horizontal) have been painted hogs bristle quarter. I had intended to rip up the brick tiles for something more modern when we redo our kitchen, but on reflection they give the house a wonderful "feel". I visited a couple of displays with the grey modern look tiles I was thinking of using but for some reason I can't envision them in our house. The kitchen / living area is partially open plan with a change of flooring and ceiling as the main deliniator. It goes from tiles to cream carpet. While the ceiling goes from timber to plaster board. The carpet will be going and I am thinking of doing something like the attached photo. My questions:

a. is it OK to have slightly different colour/shapes in the living area or should I try and match them?

b. which pale "warm" grey laminiate would you recommend for kitchen cabinets; and

c. what sort of colour smart stone benchtop should I be looking for?

existing pictures of tiles and living area

Standing in one spot looking into dining/kitchen area (the wall on the right is going)

Turning around the looking from dining into living area.

Comments (4)

• girlguides
    6 years ago
    A why want tiles in living? Hot climate? Dog? If neither go ready cork floorboards great
    B there is a laminate colour similar to ceasarstone urban can’t recall name
    C the urban a Browns Grey would blend nicely
    squirrel30 thanked girlguides
  • annb1997
    6 years ago

Those tiles are beautiful so I see why you favour them. They appear to be very similar colour to your brick pattern tiles. I think the ideal situation is to have the same flooring in both areas since they are connected and for cohesion. Maybe others will provide a different solution so you can retain the brick tiles as well as having new tiles.

Have you seen Smartstone Athena? It would go well with a grey laminate (I'll have a look what's on offer) and Hogs Bristle wall colour. There's also another stone that is similar to Athena but the veining is diff colour. I'll have a look.

squirrel30 thanked annb1997
  • annb1997
    6 years ago

Caesarstone London Grey and Frosty Carrina (similar look to Smartstone Athena).

squirrel30 thanked annb1997
  • squirrel30
    Original Author
    6 years ago

girlguids - yes we live in a hot climate and have dogs and cats.

annb1997 - thank you for the suggestions. that athena looks pretty good.