marisa_valmasyoussef

Colour scheme help

Maya V
5 years ago

i need help deciding what colour sofas To get. So origibally we wanted like a peeble, beige colour sofas however we got 4 kids under ten and two of them are toddler so I’m leaning more to the grey side of things. i just am scared as I dont know how to dress it up. I’ll add a photo of my current house and also add pic of the sofas I’m might get. I don’t want the room to look dark. I’m also not sure what colour rug to go for someone please help me out and to add i do love the Hampton style look.

Comments (38)

• annb1997
    5 years ago

Hi Maya. Here's an article about sofa material choices which may be helpful since you have children to consider. You could also think about a sturdy sofa AND a fitted slipcover that you can remove and wash. This would fit in well with your Hampton's style.

Maya V thanked annb1997
  • Maya V thanked annb1997
  • Related Discussions

A colour scheme that isnt to wild or bright but is still modern, young, fun and hip?

Q

Comments (1)
    Try lots of pure white with one or two accent walls of midnight blue (or dark grey). Mix in some hot-yellow accents and you're done!
    ...See More

I need help choosing an exterior colour scheme

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi, I know there are so many things to take into account and it's hard to get perspective from a photo. The white you can see is an extension with building paper, and the red is the existing building which is two story. The exterior is wide weatherboard planking, the windows are silver aluminium with very little trim. The doors in the front of the picture are French doors from bedrooms that will open to an enclosed courtyard ( yet to be built of course) The roof will be a light grey/brown but you won't see it much because of the flat roof style. There will be decking and ballustrades covering half of the new extension.
    ...See More

color scheme with neutrals and white for inside a 2 bedroom house

Q

Comments (1)
    My daughter painted all walls in her two bedroom house one color. It makes a small house look so much bigger. Take a look at the BM OC colors. There are so many wonderful off whites. One of my favorites is Collingwood.
    ...See More

Red brick, terracotta roof - suitable color scheme?

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks Courtney for the suggestion! Will grab of a sample of the colours and take a closer look. We like a Tranquil retreat or grey pebble but not really not sure about which tones is appropriate, especially if going for the loft/industrial look with black windows. Tried goggling red brick, terracotta roof, black windows and couldn't find much.
    ...See More
  • annb1997
    5 years ago

I quite like your living room decor and you have style the coffee table well. Are your current sofas still serviceable? If so and you like them, maybe slipcovers for them?

Maya V thanked annb1997
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago

I would work out the material first before you decide on the colour. Will your budget stretch to leather? Read up on PU "leather" or bonded leather before investing in furniture. Every hard waste council collection day the kerbside is littered with PU leather sofas and chairs that have not lasted the distance and not worn well, so be careful as it looks like real leather in the showroom.

If the budget doesn't stretch to real leather then go for a good quality microfibre or wool, or removable slip-covers. Money spent wisely now on the right material will be a good investment as re-upholstering is very expensive, and can sometimes be the cost of new furniture.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

Maya V thanked Dr Retro House Calls
  • Maya V
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for your replies much appreciate it,the current sofas i have at the moment are pretty worn out: the zippers have busted and they look very saggy and they have definitely outgrown us, they lasted a good 11years so I think also we want abit of a change lol. I’m leaning towards the grey only cause of my little ones, but confused wrht he colour scheme don’t want the room to be too dark. The fabric we have chosen is pretty good it’s either between 100%polyster or one that other fabric which is 57% viscose 18%polyster 15%cotten and 10% linen. They do indeed come in a more beige colour which I would prefer, but definitely need to go for darker for my own sanity as I’ll be scrubbing every 5mins lol.

• bigreader
    5 years ago
    I have a 6 and 8 yo plus we always seem to have some extras. I love my Ikea Ektorp sofa with slip covers. One of the best things I’ve ever purchased.
  • Maya V
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ahhh yes the ikea ektorp are pretty aswome as the covers come off. Might go and see them too lol

• bigreader
    5 years ago
    Maya, I can say I was so shocked at how ok and quality the synthetic covers for the sofa felt. I thought they’d be a make do whilst the kids were little but I’ll be keeping it for a good while.
    Maya V thanked bigreader
  • annb1997
    5 years ago

I also like the west coast sofa you posted pic of, Maya. Best wishes.

Maya V thanked annb1997
  • Kelly
    5 years ago
    You seem to have some direction in your colour choice already dictated by your little ones which is a real practical need, if you are happy with grey go with it, you can make it work by adding lighter accessories around it such as pillows and throws, ornaments, lamps frames, vases, flowers etc... keep in mind if you go with a grey then it’s most likely a cool colour so you would need to makes sure the colours you have surrounding it will also be cool. For example if you have a grey couch and cream walls this will be a clash and you would be better off going with a brown rather than a grey... as the cream tend to be more warm and they will conflict with one another. When I think of grey I also think of the time I had grey walls in one of my homes, I found it to be a cold colour and even though the colour in itself was fairly light itself wherever there was shadow or a lack of light it felt very dull and dark. Just something to consider for you home if you are thinking of taking it that far. Also if it’s affordable I agree you can’t go wrong with a leather suite whilst the little ones are still roaming wild with their sticky little fingers! However if your not ready to spend the money for brand new but desire a change all the same you could always try a second hand suite.. we got one for a great price to suit our style better in the mean time while we prioritised our finances for it was the change we desired mostly, the small wear of it wasn’t a big deal as it was leather. When people walk into our home they think cool couch they don’t realise we weren’t he ones who wore it in... they look at our style choice and how cohesive it is with our theme and the wear is forgivable as the couch itself speaks style and class.
    Good luck I hope you find something you can enjoy!!!
    Maya V thanked Kelly
  • julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Hi Maya,
    We have a microfibre couch that we purchased from Oz design over 15 years ago and it has been just the best and stood up to family life daily, everyone seems to gravitate to this couch, any spills wipe off and it never stains, still looks good after all these years, just brush up the fibre and it comes up a treat, best family couch and it’s still going strong.
  • annb1997
    5 years ago

Lovely couch, Julie.

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Thanks annb,
    This couch gets so much punishment, can’t believe how the microfibre has stood up all these years , along with leather it is the best and easiest to clean fabric for family use , highly recommended.
  • Maya V
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks kelly For the advice much appreciate it definitely agree with grey could be cold if not suited properly,

julie I totally agree with mircofiber,so durable, that’s what we have with our current sofas i love it so easy to clean, but I wrecked them when I took the pads off to wash them and now they are ruined, so hubby requested new ones since we have had them for awhile.

• annb1997
    5 years ago

Oh dear, I washed mine from our previous couch and they were ok. I think I used delicate setting and wool wash. Maybe they aren't meant to be machine washed...I didn't actually check that.

• macyjean
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I agree with the advice that choice of fabric is the first thing to think about for being hardwearing with a young family. I don't understand why the colour grey is supposed to be more suitable?

• Lizzy Gee
    5 years ago
    Hi Maya, we have two couches with slip covers made from a Warwick fabric in a soft wide corduroy. They are a creamy colour, but are so easily washed in the machine, which I have done many times. Indestructible. The corduroy is not stiff and formal looking, but very soft and comfortable.
  • julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Hi Maya,
    So sorry to hear about your couch, I remove all spills and marks using a damp sponge and ‘Nifti’ I use this product even on the carpets, it’s been around forever and it is still the best, removes everything without leaving any detrimental effects to the fabric.
  • Maya V
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Annb1997 not sure what went wrong it was the first time I ever washed them like that lol. Whoops. MAybe they aren’t machine washable. Damage is done but they have worn out too.

Macymacmaples the fabric chosen is hard wearing. However I a few samples sent out to me were both creams Whic I originally chose, so I tested them by putting choc n patting them with water to see the out come and both sort of stained slightly,I did get extra protection warranty aswell. However I don’t want to sit on top of the kids constantly and wiping things down. I chose the grey as it hides more even though it was not the colour of choice to start with. I’m scared it will make the room look darker. I’m kinda regretting getting sofas cause it’s caused me so much confusion lol. I’ll upload a pic of the two creams which we chose as it was the only ones that came in that sort of sofa.

Lizzy Gee these my couches at the moment we’re custom made and we can’t seem to find slip on at the time. I don’t think the new ones would have either. I was advised to cover them for the first year in throw rugs and all but I’m like what’s the point of having new couches if u can’t show off the style and they need to be covered 24/7 another reason why I’m leaning for the grey

julie Herbet I have never heard of nifti were can I purchase it from?

• Maya V
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The two cream fabric which we chose at the start

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Hi Maya,
    You can purchase ‘Nifti’ from Coles or Woolworths, it is usually on the lower shelves, I have convinced my family and neighbours to try it and they love it too, it’s a fab product and can be used on anything.
    Maya V thanked julie herbert
  • julie herbert
    5 years ago
    And these textured rugs could look great and add a stylish look to your couch
  • annb1997
    5 years ago

I agree the grey will look good and may be better option for you than lighter fabrics. If you find the room looks dark, consider additional or different lighting and maybe a glass-topped coffee table. Like Julie's change of decor suggestions.

Maya V thanked annb1997
  • julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Hi Maya,
    I think most of your accessories that you have now will go beautifully with your new couch, hope you post us some photos.
  • Maya V
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks ladies I’m getting less anxious about the grey sofas, they have been ordered so can’t go back now lol. Julie them rugs look amazing I will definitely look for something similar I really like them. And the nifti product I will go today and get some, my rug is horribly stained I’ll see how it works on that.

Ann1997 I totally agree with the lighter decor, I’m going to add beige throw rugs and pillows and probably even put some very light linen curtains up to brighten it up. I don’t think my hubby would get rid of the Coffee table as it’s fairly new but I’m sure I can work around it

• annb1997
    5 years ago

I think if you're planning on having lighter coloured cushions & throw, then certainly wouldn't replace coffee table. Was just suggesting that as one way to lighten room. Glass takes more time to clean anyway! I have some and it's an effort! Haha.

• Maya V
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yeah no totally agree a lighter coffee table would definitely have looked nicer, I might actually think about painting the legs I’m an antique white, I’ll bring it up with hubby, lmao the joy of glass I had glass too prior to this one and bou was it annoying to clean same as my dinning table glass hated it. So glad I got rid of it haha

• annb1997
    5 years ago

Funny you should mention painting coffee table, as that occurred to me too. I think it would look great in Antique White. Would you go matte, satin or gloss do you think? I've been doing quite a bit of painting lately so I'm very enthusiastic about it ATM!

• Maya V
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It originally comes in the white i remebr when we purchased it, there was a white one like an antique white but I’m not ur normal person and always go for the darks lol, only cause my dining chairs are black cafe style too with wooden table. But I definitely um looking into it. Scared though cause once we touch it we can’t go back lol. I wouldn’t know where to start. I would definitely go for the Matt look. I don’t know I want the streaks on wood underneath aswell comeing through parts of the white too lol. I’ll upload a pic of the white table at the store for you to get an idea

• Maya V
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I meant I want some streaks of the wood to come through underneath so it has that antique look

• legendaryflame
    5 years ago
    Read up on using chalk paint Maya. It has a matt finish and you can have the wood underneath showing through. Most can be sealed or waxed after the top coat. Fusion mineral paint is a type of chalk paint that I particularly like to use. There are some facebook pages that will give you lots of advice and help.
    Maya V thanked legendaryflame
  • annb1997
    5 years ago

Rustoleum's chalk paint is another brand that works well. Here's a video you may find helpful:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7uX46LmnHXA

• Maya V
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks hun I will definitely watch the video and see what we decide

• annb1997
    5 years ago

My daughter and I used this product to update an oldish kitchen and now she's considering finding odd bits of furniture and using same product to change the look of it to furnish her house. When I was young (haha), I bought used, but well-made, timber furniture and painstakingly restored it. Those were some of the best times of my life, oddly enough, as it was something that required patience and hand skills that I really didn't possess at the time. There's so much reward in working with your own two hands. :)

• Maya V
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ann1997 you don’t live anywhere in Sydney do you lol, I might hire you to redo my coffee table haha.

• annb1997
    5 years ago

No, Maya, nowhere near there! It's really easy to do, you will be surprised!

Maya V thanked annb1997
  • Maya V
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I hope so lol I’ll youtube some demonstrations