ren20

Please help me deal with the ugly fireplace in my condo

ren20
5 years ago

Hi,

We recently purchased and moved into the condo, It was built in 2003. We loved everything about it except the fireplace is just wrong... Bad placement.. cheaply done...eye sour...

I've been looking for ideas on houzz, and would love to get some suggestion from users here.

I am definitely open to remove it if my HOA allows. We are on the top floor. Otherwise, will have to find away to update it. I love industrial stuff... would love to stick with the theme if possible.

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Anńb
    5 years ago
    The white on the fireplace could be a mantel but it doesn’t so much look like one. I would definitely suggest you add moldings to it. Put some bright colored/attractive decor on the mantel to sort of take the attention away from the fireplace and focus it on the mantel.
  • suezbell
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Is it a wood burning fireplace w/chimney exiting the roof or

Is it a gas or electric log or electric light faux fireplace?

If it has no chimney, just have the entire thing ripped out and make the room larger.

• ren20
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It's gas log faux setup. It vents to the chimney just behind the fireplace. I think there is some ducting in the thick mental above the fireplace.

the location of the fireplace is also the only sensible place for the tv as well

• Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Can you do something like the fireplace below, even up the sides and perhaps put tv above fireplace on a swivel for better viewing
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    There is probably a shared chimney with the units below yours, so removing the fireplace will likely not be allowed.
    You could paint the fireplace to match the walls or put veneer stone on the front and left side, plus a wood top. Do not put the tv up above the fireplace because it will not be at a comfortable viewing height and it would only accentuate the massive fireplace boxiness.
  • shirlpp
    5 years ago

I wonder why the realtor did not address the fireplace with the Board before you bought it. Basically, are fireplaces in all units?, can it be moved out completely?, can you move it at all so that it's centered on the wall?

• teamaltese
    5 years ago
    You may be able to have the firebox centered on that wall. A gas fireplace vendor can help you determine if that can be done.
  • Cor
    5 years ago

I feel for you - it's worse than the fireplace I had in my condo :-) I would remove the tile and replace it with something that is more your style. Ideally, I would remove the hearth and have the wood floor cover the hearth area completely. I like the first picture that Irene posted too. I think the 'mantle/bump out area will probably look better once you decorate. I'd put a plant or something in the corner next to the fireplace as I do not like corners. I think window treatments will be a bit of a challenge too. Congrats on your condo - this certainly will be a fun project,

• ulisdone
    5 years ago

Obviously if there is a shared chimney it is in the wall. I would get permission to remove your unit, which may involve a new closed section of chimney in your wall.

• silviakunst
    5 years ago
    I would check with my neighbor below, see if they have one ..how it looks and if it is connected to yours ...or , go to the board and ask them what you can do ...then look at freestanding fireplaces ..and put it in the corner ...so it faces the room rather than straight out ...or just cover the whole thing up and put a free standing one where you want it ...you have to ask a lot of questions in your building before you think about designs ...but if it stays ..just make it nicer on the outside ...cover it in black granite ...and put your tv on a swivel arm ...is one options if it can not be changed ....but , really who designs something like this . ??
  • sandnmytoez
    5 years ago
    I love it! Keep it simple! Modernize the stone area and maybe add a cool small modern wrap around bench.
  • PRO
    Excalibur Metal Design
    5 years ago

Congrats on your new home! We've recently done some surrounds for fireplaces made from raw, blackened steel. Here's some pictures to give you an idea! It would fit perfect with your industrial style!

Fireplace Surrounds · More Info

• laurelcollins
    5 years ago
    Assuming you can’t remove it, I would just embrace the space. Update to a finish you like, but use that section of the condo as a little seating/coffee /wine area. Cozy in front of the fireplace! Or, use it as your dining room if space allows. Is there anywhere else in the condo you could use as a TV room? A spare bedroom?
  • PRO
    Weninger Construction & Design Ltd
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Randolph Rd Custom Home · More Info

Loving metal and wood combos right now for fireplaces (an inspiration example above), a modern look while being warm. With the angles of the wall it would be interesting to clad the white in a modern smooth wood and the tile surround could be switched to a metal for a very modern industrial look.

Also - a TV wall mount with pull out and angle adjustment allows for more comfortable viewing with TVs over fireplaces.

Good Luck!

• njay
    5 years ago
    It's the asymmetry of the fireplace surround that seems to be the biggest problem. I'd bring in a carpenter to see how that could be addressed.
  • lbandstra
    5 years ago
    I would check if it’s possible to remove the left side of the surround so that it looks even on both sides, then you can just update the tile part and the mantel on top. That’s if you can’t remove it or move it over.
  • PRO
    Top pros construction
    3 years ago

Love love fireplaces!!!! yet they do need to match the house.

I would not remove a working fireplace, especially if there is a shared chimney between neighbors.

I would tile the entire unit including the mantel, I would get a large fire place screen that is inviting to look at :)

It is modern, warm and inviting.