katiesarstar

Please help design my lounge room!

katiesarstar
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello, I have this huge lounge room with white walls a million down lights everywhere high ceilings and white furniture, and floor boards, it’s very light filled and naked! Lots of glass windows down the side of the room open kitchen and dining also. Can you please help me pick and place art and furniture please I’m desperate for help I’m just not good at design....

Comments (60)

• katiesarstar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Anne Monsour
    5 years ago
    Hi Katie, Perhaps paint the ceiling a navy blue so that your lights are like stars and save the expense of changing your down-lights . Bring in the navy with side drapes and cushions.
    katiesarstar thanked Anne Monsour
  • Related Discussions

How do I design my living room around this chandelier?

Q

Comments (22)
    As chookchook said in her recommendation about painting, put a drop cloth on the floor. Get a very safe ladder. remove the lightbulbs, and cover the outlets. Turn off the electricity to the chandelier. Then spray it with a mild cleaner (I use one I found at Target that's basically water with vinegar, until it's dripping wet. Start at the bottom and work your way up, so you don't have dirty spray dripping on the bottom of the chandelier.Work your way up and down until the dripping spray is clean. The chandelier may be gorgeous and expensive, but it seems totally out of place in the architecture of the room--more at home in a chalet than a sunny room with a window wall. I would probably try to find a way to get it removed, and sell it to someone who appreciated it better than I.
    ...See More

lounge room floating shelving

Q

Comments (2)
    Ikea has some that i use often they come in different sizes.
    ...See More

Help spruce up my media room!

Q

Comments (1)
    My very first thought was to paint the ceiling white. Some colourful artwork would be nice I think. I see you have some blue cushions, so some art with that colour would be helpful to tie it together and also a rug on the floor. What about a lampshade with a shiny chrome stand A tallish plant or two in white or pale coloured pots placed somewhere on the TV wall. I see something else on the back of the lounge suite that looks an interesting colour. Wouldn't hurt to bring that colour into the room too.
    ...See More

Please help to find a suitable rug for my carpeted lounge

Q

Comments (0)
    Please help me to find a suitable rug for my carpeted lounge Carpet color : Brown/beige Walls : off white Couch : Ivory white with walnut brown arms (Planning to add lots of plants and a walnut brown coffee table as well)
    ...See More
  • JE C
    5 years ago
    Katie, what style are you aiming for in the space? The light might look good, but it depends on what it is paired with. One issue is that light it is a light colour so won't contrast against your current wall colour.
    katiesarstar thanked JE C
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

It's a very pretty Chandelier (love that song), but I would refer to see something simplier

katiesarstar thanked siriuskey
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    Agree with Siriusky and JEC. Great chandelier, but would not go with your current streamline furniture. Maybe something similar to these.
    katiesarstar thanked dreamer
  • JE C
    5 years ago
    I think the 3rd or 4th of those lights would look really great, especially with a sisal rug. It would be good to see the adjacent kitchen and dining areas though.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

These following lights would work with your vaulted ceiling

• Evee
    5 years ago
    Apart from adding a nice pendant I would paint the cream walls a very light grey. it would bring out the warm tones from the floor and the furniture, but would also make the whole room feel more airy.
    katiesarstar thanked Evee
  • KK1000
    5 years ago
    I don’t know why you need so many lights but please replace them with white ones, white shear curtains on the large doors would make it softer and less busy, hang curtains high and cover the whole wall. I would get professional to the job simply because it has to be right to look good. If you want wise mirror as decorative element it has to be really large and highly decorative but simple at the same time. Usually you would put mirror above the sofa or above the long buffet or side table. Those high ceilings need large pendant above the dining table . some table lamps would be nice as well. I have recently discovered nice soft grey that would look great in your room it’s Dulux Fossil grey. On the floor I would go for XL oriental rugs in geometric pattern.
  • KK1000
    5 years ago
    This is the wall colour and some pretty light fittings
  • katiesarstar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Woah thank you Soo much! Here is a day light photo

• katiesarstar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• katiesarstar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• katiesarstar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• katiesarstar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I know I 100% want to remove the excessive down lights and put large one and I like the idea of contrasting to the white space, I like elegance. It’s an extension on our home which is more modern then the rest of the house which has all of the high ceilings and chandlers with the pretty plaster detail

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Hi Katie,
    What a great room, moving your furniture away from the wall would open up the area, add a coffee table , a great piece of art on sofa wall ( love your artwork above table) open up your deck area by removing items against doors so that you have a free flowing space from indoors to out, fabulous having that outlook, are you able to turn table length ways, you may be able to switch places with your buffet, just leave your bowl of beautiful orchids on table, love everyone’s suggestions re lights, just doing a few changes here and there could add that touch of elegance that you are after.
    katiesarstar thanked julie herbert
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    Hi Katie, as I have said before, this is a wonderful room, and the best parts are already there, high ceilings and great outlook.
    I typed in elegance-living room into the houzz photo search. These are a couple of the photos that came up. I can see your room like this. It's not elegant at the moment, but with some furniture moves, large central lighting, artwork, it will be.
    As Julie said, clear up the area outside the windows, this will help give a fantastic outlook. If you have young children, elegance is hard to incorporate with plastic toys and 'stuff', but find the best compromise and it will look great.
  • JE C
    5 years ago
    I think that last photo is a very achievable look here, it's going to be a stunning room.
  • JE C
    5 years ago
    I agree with Julie about reorienting the table if possible, also the Tv would look good wallmounted if possible.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Great addition to your house and the garden looks lovely, don't know what aspect the room has but it could all be so much nicer with either a larger triangle window above the doors, and or some faux beams. Loving some of your pieces as well, plus the little one in the photo, something like the following window and beams

• katiesarstar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• katiesarstar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

And this is across from the dining table, it’s odd shaped and I’ve tried the table the other way and it looked squashed in. I thought of looking for a round table but not sure. Thank you for all of the ideas!

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Wow!! Katie that area looks gorgeous.
  • JE C
    5 years ago
    Hi Katie, do you have a plan with dimensions you can post? That will help with understanding furniture placement. It's going to be a lovely room.
  • legendaryflame
    5 years ago
    Katie, I love your room. I would love to see large windows above your doors on your external wall. And the changes to lights as others have suggested.
    If you leave your mat in that corner it needs o be moved back away from the door so you have some of your lovely floor showing.
    I too would like to see the dimensions of the room as that helps with furniture layout.
    katiesarstar thanked legendaryflame
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    Looking at the 'before' photos with maroon wall, and the 'before' kitchen photo,the space does not look as big as I initially thought. So measurements would definitely be a great help.
  • katiesarstar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I moved the table sideways and moved the buffet

• katiesarstar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• katiesarstar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Oh!! Katie,
    How fabulous does your room look now, your beautiful buffet and table and chairs now have a presence in the room, lamp and orchids.. gorgeous, artwork a real feature now, try your ottoman as a coffee table, add a tray with a few special items, a few more cushions to add to what you have and a great piece of art.. looking beautiful Katie.
  • legendaryflame
    5 years ago
    That is looking lovely, Katie!
    katiesarstar thanked legendaryflame
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    This is such a small change to do, but visually it looks fantastic. Well done.
  • JE C
    5 years ago
    I agree, it has made a difference already. I also like Julie's last suggestion about moving the ottoman/ table in front of the couches and adding a tray.
  • katiesarstar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I changed some more things I still need to hang the mirror higher though

• katiesarstar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• katiesarstar
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This wall is still empty I’m not sure how to decorate it.

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Katie, I really like the changes, you have shown how small changes can make a big difference in a space. I would suggest for your wall, a large square painting. Hung at eye height between lights. Picking up similar colours to the other painting.
  • julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Hi Katie,
    Love your changes , how good is your room looking, I would move your plant stand under your painting, you could put a taller plant or a lamp in that corner that would balance the room, a shelf (Kmart) have some great ones, or arrange a collection of smaller prints next to your artwork, it’s looking great.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Your room looks lovely Katie, one small thing try the potted plant on the sideboard as I think it's too tall and breaks up the space. Love the Deco tray, would you consider trying a couple of patterned mustard yellow cushions and or throw. Love Julies ideas for mixed wall hangings

• Anne Monsour
    5 years ago
    Hi Katie , Your room is now one of those “ elegant living spaces” . It is beautiful. I suggest that you move your painting to the left space between the the wall lights to have a more balanced wall and perhaps sheer curtains draped at each end of the glass doors. Well done !
  • julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Hi Katie,
    What about an elegant lamp or large plant in a beautiful planter in your corner, love those cushions siriuskey
  • JE C
    5 years ago
    Hi, I think it's looking lovely. If you have decided against a large pendant light, a big lamp like Julie suggested would be good.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Love the plant Julie, I would love to she a neutral coloured carpet/sisal square to replace the dark blue one, it would change the look of the room. And would love to see some strong mustard coloured pillows and throw mixed in with the existing ones. The foot stool works beautifully as a coffee table it will also cause less injury.

• JE C
    5 years ago
    I also really like the mustard cushions that Siriuskey posted - you could pick some art that picked up that colour too.
  • julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Love these rugs, Katie so many wonderful ideas from everyone for you.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

I was thinking something like this to tie in with your dining chairs, not sure if this one is big enough, This rug is also non slip which is good I have a rug the sam size as this across the end of my king sized bed,

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bayliss-155-x-225cm-natural-hampton-sisal-border-rug_p6670579

• Carol Gunn
    5 years ago

What a great room to play with. I reckon those downlights would fade away if they were white. ALso I think it is a very geometric room and needs some softness and roundness to contrast - soft fabrics (e.g. sheers & velvets), cushions (fluffy, ruffled) and maybe a round light fitting, mirror, area rug, tables etc.

• PRO
    Rainmaster Technologies Pty Ltd
    5 years ago

I would start with make a board with pictures of things you like and build a design from there. Ceiling to floor sheers on the windows, will still give the light but give the room a more luxe feel than a flat wall. Find a rug you love, tapestry, shag or even two one over the other, something that will suit your living situation for instance - I have and indoor outdoor style as I have puppies and a shag … well not conducive for the fur clean up. I would consider getting a smaller sofa, possibly a modular with chaise style one with storage underneath is great for toys, the two sofas look too large in the space and block the flow of the room, rather than jump in try it with just one sofa for a week. I would do bold prints on those walls, they can take them and deserve them. Have you tv put on wall, it was best thing I ever did and one less piece of furniture to dust! You can have a lived in look with out clutter and mess it is just finding a balance - Good luck and look forward to seeing your space.

• berbieharmsen
    5 years ago

I wouldn't give up on doing something about those downlights. Either remove at least half of them or paint the ceiling darker to hide them. They make the room look as if it has an illness and your ceilings are high enough to tolerate the colour. In order to make your room suit you, work out how you use it most and make " rooms" with your furniture. It has to suit your lifestyle and your taste. Remember furniture doesn't need to be against a wall. Personally I hate texture. I don't like the look of it or the feel of it, so I don't use it and I don't care what suits other people. You need to be able to sit in your room and wherever you look should please your eye. I think the curtains are a good idea, but they needn't be sheer. If they are a solid plain colour you can pull them back by day unless you need them to keep the sun out and close them at night for privacy. If you don't need curtains and you just want the doors to look better then go for sheers.

Good luck. Trial and error will help you sort it out.

• Matt 123
    5 years ago

*** Research and choose a theme / style, and evaluate all potential purchases before you buy.

Wainscoting if suits your style.

Mount the TV to the wall, possibly in a built-in unit (not white).

Art on opposite wall, something with colour.

Huge rug with a pattern (not plain), colour to match wall art.

Big sofa (not white), big coffee table (not white), paint walls (not white).

Pendant lighting x 3 (not even numbers).

Mid-height plants outside, visible from windows, stylish pots with retic.

Be patient, it's an ongoing process, not a quick fix.