janetelizabeth_cronin

Is 1m enough space to grow something behind a window splashback?

JE C
5 years ago
Hi - our current reno plans have 1m between our kitchen window splashback and the fence on northern boundary- I am wondering if this is enough space to grow something lush to be seen through the window splashback? Has anyone done this and any issues with insufficient light to the plants or plants too close to the building, or insufficient space for access / maintenance? Most builds seem to have circa 1.5 m in this scenario. thanks.

Comments (4)

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Yes 1 metre is enough room. But you will have to take into account accessibility to side of house for maintenance, and to water and weed anything that is planted. Also consider the water drainage away from the house, and termite barriers. In our area, the homes have to be built 1500mm from boundaries. Have you considered palms, or similar in big rectangle pots? Which could be put up next to window, leaving access on fence side. Or a green wall planter? Just depends if boundary fence is going to shade your plants. If you get the 1 metre clearance passed, then I would look at how much sun gets into area, then reassess the best plants to use.
  • JE C
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks- yes, the 1 meter set-off is permitted- the planters are a good idea.
  • julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Hi JE C,
    You could do a vertical wall,a row of bamboo in narrow planters,there is a syzygium ‘pinnacle’ which is narrow growing,lovely foliage or your could do a backlit piece of art beautiful during the day gorgeous at night, rhapis or golden cane palms could be worth considering also.
  • JE C
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I like the look of that Syzygium thankyou Julie, I will look into it.