webuser_197891127

Engineered wood floor with underfloor heating

KR
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm having an extension added to a victorian terrace. I really want to have parquet wood flooring and underfloor heating. I have been advised that engineered wood is best for this. I'm looking for advice from anyone that has done this and want to know if there were any problems with movement or moisture. Thanks

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Italian Design Ltd
    5 years ago

hi KR, engineered wood flooring is not just the best option is the only option with underfloor heating. Obviously you can use LVT and laminate or ceramic tiles or stone, but if you intended to buy real hardwood flooring, the you need to consider engineered planks only.

Solid floors are not particularly popular these days because are unstable and tend to move due to room temperature and moisture variation. Underfloor heating will put quite a bit extra heat into your floor and solid boards will almost inevitably move.

You always need to keep en eye on moisture level which should stay between 40 to 60% whilst most manufacturers suggest 27degrees C as the max floor temperature. Feel free to get in touch if you need a quote. Best Regards

• KR
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for your advice ID Ltd.
  • PRO
    Woodpecker Flooring
    5 years ago

Hi there, we have a handy article on fitting underfloor heating with wood flooring that may help

Take a look here

Best wishes,

Hannah | Woodpecker Flooring

• H BB
    5 years ago
    Hi,

We only had ours fitted 2 months ago and so it seems a bit early to comment on movement and moisture. However the key things we have learned include:

1. It needs to be engineered wood and ours was a grooved type, that was also glued.

2. The most important thing is that if you have wet UFH with a screed, it is very important that the screed is thoroughly dry before fitting the floor. It can easily take 2-3 months, or more, for the screed to dry. We did not realise at the start and our flooring was significantly delayed while we waited for it to dry. The issue with screed drying affects most floor types including tiles, not just wood,

Now that we have it, we are very happy with the finish.
  • KR
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks hbbbb, what thickness of floor did you get? Do you find that the heat transfers well? One of my worries is that the heat is traveling through so many layers that it may not be sufficiently warm.