webuser_109194335

Exterior colours to match Paperbark shed

Jacoba
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi, we’re extending and renovating our 60’s built ugly-orangey brick home. The front of house will be rendered to tie in with the back extension, and we’re having the roof done too. We’re also installing a large deck out the back, which faces our large Paperbark shed. My question is what colour schemes could work well to match/compliment the shed??? (The shed can be seen down the driveway. I’ve been losing sleep over this and the deadline to choose is looming!) I can’t decide whether to go dark or grey roof/gutters/windows or maybe an almost white/light roof/gutters/windows? I don’t want the house to look dated when it’s freshly done! Please help! Any ideas on how to modernise this ugly beast would be most appreciate, thanks in advance.

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago

Don't try and modernise it by rendering as it will just look like a 1960's house that has been rendered. They never end up looking modern, they just end up looking sad as they have lost their soul and character.

https://secretdesignstudio.com/render-brick-home-tribute-triple-fronted-blonde-brick-veneer-home/

Best of luck

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

Jacoba thanked Dr Retro House Calls
  • bigreader
    5 years ago
    The colourbond website has a visualiser tool that you can use to test out colours. It also has hints on complimentary colours. If you search paperbark on Pintrest and here on Houzz, you’ll see inspiration pics. The one below is appealing in its simplicity. Roof is Woodland and render is Paperbark double strength.
    Jacoba thanked bigreader
  • Jacoba
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you bigreader. I happen to have looked at this photo many times (along with hundreds of others!) It does look lovely. I can’t tell though what colour the windows trims are, can you? The window colour is something I really really struggle with.

• Jacoba
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for your comment Dr Retro, I have seen in many comments that you’re against rendering brick homes. I‘m hoping with the new larger roof and new windows that it will look like a totally different house. We simply don’t like the look of the house as it is. It doesn’t have any nice features or nice details of the era, it’s rather drab and boring. Fingers crossed we come up with something.

• bigreader
    5 years ago
    Hello again. The description I found describes the windows as plain paperbark. This house has dark shitters on the inside so the windows do look more outlined.
  • bigreader
    5 years ago
    The gutters are Woodland to match the roof, and the fascias are straight Paperbark. What window coverings were you considering?
  • Jacoba
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you bigreader :) We wont be having interior shutters at this stage (as lovely as they would be!). Hoping to maybe tint the front windows for privacy during the day otherwise just plain blinds at night?

I like the matching roof and gutters, and I actually thought that fascia and windows were a lighter white colour! So hard to tell from photos.

As lovely as dark windows look on the outside, I don't want dark aluminium frames on the inside. So had considered a woodland grey (or even lighter grey?) roof/gutter, paperbark render (possibly half strength?) and then no idea for the windows. Colour is not my thing!

• Jacoba
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is an old photo, but the house still looks the same. Due to the back extension, the roof is being replaced. After removing the old awnings, the window frames are very thin and nothing special. Paint or replace? I really don't know what to do with the ugly duckling!

You can't see it from this photo, but the large Paperbark coloured shed can be seen down the driveway so we're looking for a colour scheme that will compliment that. (Otherwise I'll have to paint the shed and we'd rather not). Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

• bigreader
    5 years ago
    Swinging thoughts around the other way. Given you are doing so much work on the house consider having the colours you love for the house. Then paint the shed. It would be worth paying for a colour consultation. Your local paint shop should have references. Would be money well spent, I’m getting the feel that you are at decision overload.
    Jacoba thanked bigreader
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    5 years ago

I too would avoid render. Render is expensive and if you can afford it you can afford to look at other options like quality landscaping.

What you spend on render could be transferred to landscape and this would relocate your focus.

At the moment it seems theres nothing else amazing to view so we look straight to the brickwork and think thats the problem area.

You already have some retro cool chairs and the agave is great but takes too much effort to see... then bam the brick draws you in.

New front fence and pathway, a cool new retro letter box, paint the front door a wicked orange or yellow...

Way too many people have modernised old houses in the past and have ruined them. Federation houses had stained glass timber windows and doors replaced with aluminium, fretwork removed, fire placed knocked down, etc.. no one does that now, it gets re-instated at significant cost. These later homes are now copping modernising and yet again to the trained eye it rarely works out well.

Post a picture of whats out the back or even just a plan, if construction has not yet kicked off.

We can perhaps even save you money and improve your home, win win.

Jacoba thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • Jacoba
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you bigreader and MB Design for your comments :) Fence and garden is set to happen once the house is finished. We’re actually really excited about our plans for the extension, and just looking to narrow down some paint colours. Any colour scheme ideas greatly appreciated, (especially if we can make it work with the shed) Living regionally means online colour consults are our only option, so was hoping for some inspo here while we’re looking. Cheers

• bigreader
    5 years ago
    Another couple of ideas. The house is rendered Paperbark. But I’d probably go for double strength Paperbark for a bit more depth. The roof is Woodland. And the windows and fascia are Surfmist. And I quite like the colour combo in the other pic. Both pics from Pintrest.
    Jacoba thanked bigreader
  • bigreader
    5 years ago
    Sorry this is the house pic that belongs with the above comment.
    Do you like or hate the idea of Paperbark render? Need a bit more idea of the look you’re after to make suggestion.
  • JE C
    5 years ago
    I think big readers suggestion would suit house and look fairly timeless. Combined with new landscaping I think it would really lift the front of the house.
  • Ayse Deveci
    3 years ago

what did you end up deciding on. Please send in a before and after