khiara

Needing advice on timber flooring choices. Spotted gum or Blackbut?

khiara
5 years ago

We are building a large modern house on acreage we have 2 children and large dogs. The timber floor will run through the kitchen, living and dining which is all open(10m x 7m approx) and entrance way. We are having a black kitchen with white bench tops.

I need options on the spotted gum and if its going to be too "busy" and red over such a large area or if the blackbutt is a safer choice with a more even colour but I am worried about the yellow look as I dont like it.....Help!!

Comments (12)

• annb1997
    5 years ago

Khaira, how do you plan to finish the timber...stain or seal only? I love spotted gum but we have used it only for extensive decking, not inside. Spotted gum colours vary and whatever finish is applied can tone down some or deepen others. I’ve also noticed spotted gum colours vary depending on where the timber originated. Queensland SG differs from Victorian SG.

• siriuskey
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

my concern would be the dogs with scratching the timber and they will, you would be better to go with large tiles

• khiara
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone for the replies. We are looking at putting a sealer over the top no stain and prefer to keep it satin not high gloss. I was hoping with the satin over the spotted gum it would tone it down slightly. I see some photos that I absolutely love then others are just so full on it scares me.

Tiles wont be an option, the last house was tiles and it was too hard underfoot and way to cold for my liking.

• Littlethommo
    5 years ago

Satin will subdue the yellow a little - but also any scratches will not be so obvious

• Jodes
    5 years ago
    We're currently building and have out down blackbutt. It's only been laid, still to be sanded and top coated.

We plan to just finish with a satin waxy product. I'd have to ask hubby what exactly it is. But we don't intend to stain. We've seen this finish on 2 recent builds and it looks fab.

A small pic of ours. I can take a larger one of the entire open plan room if you wish. This was just one I had on the iPad :)

We love the blackbutt. We originally chose as it was cheaper than spotted gum. Ours is standard grade so has more knots, etc than the higher grade. I actually prefer the feature of the standard grade.

We have kids and a dog so hopefully will cope ok.
  • Littlethommo
    5 years ago

A good satin finish thats been recommended to me is Bona Naturale, apparently it doesnt alter the natural colour and is, as the name implies, a natural satin finish.

• Booking Officer
    5 years ago

Have had a blackbutt floor for 15 years - satin finish. It's really durable. Haven't had to sand yet.

• Rachael Abbott
    5 years ago

We have just had wormy chestnut flooring installed, although we haven't moved back into our extension yet so can't comment on wear, it looks amazing. Has beautiful dark veins running though it but not as busy as spotted gum and not so pink. Maybe have a look at this.

• Rachael Abbott
    5 years ago

As mentioned previously this is before they have been finished but I think they look amazing and as they aren't that commonly used yet was a little unsure how the wood would look.

They look pinker in these photos than in real life but they do have a slightly pinkish tone. We are using a satin finish water based finish. They are a hardwood so will wear well but I imagine as with any wood floor will get scratched from dog claws, just one of those things you have to live with, but probably better on a floor that has some texture rather than on an even coloured floor.

• Jodes
    5 years ago
    Rachael I love the look of it! Wish it had been suggested to us!
    It will come up a treat.
  • Ian Clark
    4 years ago

Khiara - obviously this is the definitive "it's personal" type question, but I always think Spotted Gum makes quite the statement and I have always loved it. We have Quickstep Readyflor in Spotted Gum in all the bedrooms of our current house. It looks beautiful, although I would recommend a satin or matt finish (as I think you already mentioned) because I believe high gloss shows up the scratches more.

Anyway, a few years ago I broke the mould and installed solid Blackbutt timber on our stairs (ie stripped off the carpet and glued on Blackbutt treads and risers to the stair carcass) and my wife and I are now Backbutt converts.

There. Any help?