sharonbrady14

Kit homes, any opinions/reviews?

Sharon
5 years ago
We talked to an architect about renovating our original fibro and we were advised a knock down rebuild and to check out the Rawson Homes etc... I found Imagine Kit Homes online and like the look of their steel frames and they have a good selection of plans for different shaped blocks. They seem very good value but just wondering about final build costs and what the opinion is of these kit homes here? Thanks for any insights!

Comments (4)

• Jodie
    5 years ago

we are almost finished building our kit home from Valley Kit Homes. They have a great selection of plans, although we designed our own. Very affordable.

• Sara Graham
    5 years ago
    Some things to consider:
    Do you want to be an owner builder or engage a builder to construct the house? The first can be a minefield and filled with risk if you don’t know what you’re doing or very satisfying if you do. If you engage a builder you might as well get a builder to build you a regular/conventional house (custom or volume) and have him or her assume the risk and the headaches. You likely won’t save any money unless you owner build.

Can you get finance? Banks don’t like risk. They particularly don’t like owner builders or kit homes or prefab houses. If you need to finance the project make sure you can get finance before you commit to anything. And banks are getting more risk averse since the royal commission.

Be aware that the cost you pay for the kit is only the start. Then there’s site works, permits, insurances, internal fixtures and fittings, and lots more. You could end up spending more than double the kit home price to complete the home, depending upon the kit home product.

Some kit home companies are better than others. Some have great reputations, others have woeful reputations and do whatever they can to remove any poor reviews or criticism from online channels. I have no idea about Imagine Homes.

All of that said, some people have great experiences building kit homes and some of the products offer much more interesting homes than the samey samey homes you will find volume builders doing.

All the best with your project. It’s an exciting time.
  • Sharon
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Not sure if I can reply rather than add a comment here?
    Thanks Jodie, looks great. Can I ask how much the build cost on top of the kit price? Was it double like genkii mentions?
    Thanks very much genkii for your comments, very helpful. We like the look of Imagine because they’re architect designed. I think we’re going with a builder although my husband is tempted to owner build.
  • Jodie
    5 years ago
    sharon, probably about 150% more. we employed a builder who we had to let go at internal lining stage, as we had stagnated. Fixing his mistakes cost us about another 15k. We still have come in under what a project home builder had quoted, mindful of the exclusions in their contract which no doubt would have cost us more. I enjoyed the option of shopping around and getting value for every dollar spent here.