shmik_interiors

Before & after: A 1970s apartment makeover

Shmik Interiors
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

The owner of this '70s apartment wanted a low-budget update to prepare the property for sale.

The dated carpet and wallpaper were removed and a built-in cupboard was removed and replaced with a stud wall to make the room look more spacious and to create a solid wall between the living area and the second bedroom.

Before:

After:

We added in a feature wall in a beautiful sage green to give the room a fresh, restful feel, and the concrete floors were leveled and given a lustrous resin finish to help bounce light around the room.

The polished concrete gave a really airy, open plan feel to the apartment and made the space flow beautifully from room to room.

The bathroom was dark and dated. We removed the unattractive vanity unit and replaced it with an inexpensive but updated vanity unit. Next, we recoated the bath and wall tiles and added in a feature tile splash back. The feature tiles were repeated in the shower base and a semi-frameless shower frame opened up the space. Black taps with rose gold features completed the look.

Before:

After:

The owner didn't want to spend a lot on the kitchen, so we cleaned up the existing walnut cabinetry and made the warm timber pop with a deep teal gloss paint on the base cabinets. Tiles were re-grouted and taps updated.

Before:

After:

Check out the entire project here!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Annabel Sullivan
    4 years ago

Bathroom & Kitchen GOALS!

• JE C
    4 years ago

Looks great

• dreamer
    4 years ago

Well done. Fantastic job. I really respect people that use the existing kitchen cabinets, bath etc. and just update where required.
    Just proves you do not have to totally remove to have a great result. Saving the environment step by step.

• PRO
    Shmik Interiors
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your comments, we do really like to re-use wherever we can, much as we love renovating, we are also conscious of the waste and try to re-cycle where-ever we can. Lisa.

• dafmaria
    4 years ago

Outstanding result.
    Kitchen r so important in the home, but the ridiculous prices they charge, is crazy..
    Whats gonna happen when the trend in granite/ marble change or old kitchens r replaced? Will it all get turfed out?
    40 -50 K for a kitchen is preposterous..

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

Bunnings

• Mattie
    4 years ago

An amazing transformation. Agree with others; great to see old things refurbished.

• User
    4 years ago

While it is a great update on a budget , I'll be the desenting voice haha . Theres a few things I would have done differently .

I don't like the polished concrete floors -- a bit too trendy IMO , especially when other items haven't been updated -- a mix of periods looks a bit strange to me .

Ironically , the only place I would have considered the polished concrete is the bathroom floor -- the blue tiles look great , the white cabinets and black taps -- and then you keep brown speckled tiles on the floor ?

The kitchen is okay -- I'm not a huge fan of the blue doors , personally I would have gone with bright yellow or orange , and gone with oversized stainless handles on all the cabinets , and a stainless wall oven . And fake weatherboard aged vinyl board flooring in light brown and whitewash mix -- it would tie in better with the cupboards and the new stainless oven and handles .

I'd suspect my budget would have been within a couple of thousand of yours ?

Likewise , I like the overall design of the living and bedroom areas , with the exception of the concrete -- too trendy , too cold IMO . Personally , I would have gone with beige or cream or maize carpet , maybe extending the kitchen 'aged weatherboard' vinyl flooring into the dining area . Then again , everyone has different tastes .

• C P
    4 years ago

pottsy, I think your suggestions would make it look like any other generic apartment makeover. This reno is unique and has maintained some cool features whilst also adding some contemporary elements. Large stainless handles etc would make it look like a Bunnings homemade job.

• User
    4 years ago

The original post said it was done on a budget to sell . Reasonably generic but with a bit of style and flair , and retaining some of the original features like the wooden doors , would appeal to a wide cross-section , again just my opinion , whereas someone wanting concrete floors probably doesn't want walnut doors or original handles , nor a mix of blue and brown tiles , especially in the same room . Each to their own though .

• spmm
    4 years ago

The old vanity with metal trim! - never seen anything like that before out side of a caravan :) - so the Reno is an improvement although it looks as if there is a gap on either side of the new vanity which is going to be really hard to clean — the elephant in the bathroom is the hob shower - getting the bathroom done properly would have cost more but I expect it will affect resale value.

• josey griffin
    4 years ago

Well done, great job. So much lighter, airier, and less clostrophobic. Not sure about the kitchen, more pics would have been good. But love it. You have increased the value 10 fold.

• Creativelychallenged
    4 years ago

Love it!

• samrose18
    4 years ago

pottsy99, I grew up in a house built in 1972 and the standard finish was polished concrete. We didn't have the money for flooring in the kitchen and meals area, so polished concrete it was. Not such a modern feature after all...

• duhee
    4 years ago

The reno is fabulously done, keeping in mind the cost, retaining some original features and without making it look generic. I lived in a 1972 house like samrose18 did and the floor under the carpet was polished concrete. It was actually polished to a very smooth finish. I had the exact brown/beige bathroom floor tiles in one of the bathrooms and back version in the other. The kitchen cabinets were very similar. They were well made and strong and I would have loved to keep the cabinets as is if I had known that painting one half would make a world of a difference like in this reno. I like the work done as it is now a very unique place. Good job.

Shmik Interiors thanked duhee
  • PRO
    Aus Joinery Kitchens Pty Ltd
    4 years ago

Absolutely fantastic job. congrats on the Reno

Shmik Interiors thanked Aus Joinery Kitchens Pty Ltd