hzdeleted_27205271

Stone versus lame bench top

User
4 years ago

My dilemma is what to use in our new kitchen for bench tops and a large island bench top. I was looking at Ceaserstone or similar, but now in a bit of a dilemma with all the reports about silicosis arising from the manufacturing of these types of manufactured stone bench tops. I believe there are some very stone like Formica or Laminex bench top options. I would love to hear from anyone who has either and pros and cons. Thank you! :)

Comments (11)

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated. I am aware of the difference in cost between the 2 products and I am not at all concerned about any health risk to us as regards the manufactured stone. My concern is purely ethical and not wanting to contribute to people risking silicosis from creating these manufactured stone bench tops. But I am now also thinking how the formica and laminex is manufactured, a lot of plastics and a lot of glues!! And the high end Formica can be almost as expensive as some stone bench tops, in an effort to look like stone. Ho hum... I need to actually look at both products, which is difficult where we live. But I will do it for the sake of my sanity! ;)

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That was meant to read 'Stone versus Laminex bench top' in the heading... not lame!! ;)

• PRO
    Decoro Custom Interiors
    4 years ago

Hi Anne Marie, as with many products if health and safety measures are not followed, issues can arise and unfortunately they can be serious. Ceasarstone issued a statement last year addressing silica dust that is not unique to just their product.
    I don’t work for them, however I think that as they are market leader for composite stone the issues were aimed more at them and they were more vocal that other companies in responding. It is good that more awareness of the issue has been raised so that stonemasons are not tempted or pressured to take shortcuts. All the best Louise - Decoro Custom Interiors.

User thanked Decoro Custom Interiors
  • User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for your reply, Louise. :) As in my earlier reply, it's not us I am concerned about, it is the people employed to sand, shape, cut etc these manufactured stone bench tops, an ethical and moral issue on my part, to not be part of a silicosis epidemic among employees. If I decide on stone, it will most likely be Caeserstone. Thank you again for your response and information from Caeserstone.

• macyjean
    4 years ago

I've long been concerned about the formaldehyde in laminates, which also continues to outgas after installation, but until recently questions about it were met with a blank stare. A few years ago I was pleased to see a sign in the kitchen section of Masters making a claim regarding that (I think it was the first time I saw the E0 rating?) but when I asked for information about it no-one knew what it meant and eventually they suggested I talk to their 'supplier' which turned out to be the hardware supplier who knew nothing about the laminates. Very disappointing when retailers of better safer products fail to take the opportunity to educate customers and promote those products.

Good on you Anne Marie for wanting to ask intelligent questions. (I could start a whole new thread....)

User thanked macyjean
  • siriuskey
    4 years ago

As mentioned by Dr Retro past bad work place ethics have been exposed and sadly too late for some. Now that this problem has been outed, hopefully employers and employees will do the right thing so that those working in this field will continue to have employment.

User thanked siriuskey
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    4 years ago

Why not use a solid hardwood top? Probably the most sustainable too! Again dust is also quite toxic but surely couldn't be as bad as manufactured products.

How many of us actually place hot pans, etc. onto our stone bench tops. My wife won't!

Timber may again become fashionable for kitchens.

User thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • Sara Graham
    4 years ago

MB, we’re putting recycled timber bench tops in our new build. I know lots of people like stone but I find it cold and unforgiving. I love the warmth of timber. I never put hot pans directly on the bench top so nothing will change.

User thanked Sara Graham
  • User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for all the valuable and helpful feedback. I would LOVE to use hardwood timber but have been told it is the most expensive of all bench tops!!! When we built our house in Bowral in 2003 we used stunning Arizona Cypress from Burrawang and just loved it. Also had it for our ensuite vanity with a handmade ceramic basin. :) The photo is AFTER we sold it and I found it online when it was back on the market and I saved the photos for inspiration! ;) I found the kitchen in a House and Garden mag and showed to our kitchen guy in Robertson. He did an awesome job!

• PRO
    Red Sea Stone
    4 years ago

Natural Stone is best!

User thanked Red Sea Stone