ltki

Contemporary kitchen & pantry transformation in a 1912 Federation home

Let's Talk Kitchens & Interiors
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

The team at Let's Talk Kitchens & Interiors worked with the homeowners of this stunning 1912 built, Federation style property in Melbourne's leafy east, to bring their kitchen into the 21st Century.

The existing kitchen was closed in, dated and heavy with a lot of timber and the space had been stripped of the Federation features which were present throughout the rest of the home.

This is the kitchen space before the renovation:

The homeowners had a great vision for this space and saw past the limitations of the existing footprint. Walls and doorways were altered to create a larger and more open kitchen/dining/living area. The original laundry which sits behind the kitchen has been transformed into a functional butler's pantry with second sink, dishwasher and oven.

Monochrome Glamour in Canterbury · More Info

Although this kitchen and pantry are very contemporary in style a lot of the federation architectural features have been returned to the space which can be seen in the cornices, skirting boards, archway and the solid brick walls which have been sandblasted to reveal the original brickwork.

It's hard to believe that it's the same property in both the before and after shots because the transformation has been so spectacular. This renovation was completed back in 2015 but photographed only recently and the homeowners are still absolutely thrilled with their kitchen and pantry.

What’s your favourite feature of this glam kitchen and pantry renovation?

Comments (25)

• PRO
    Melissa Pace
    4 years ago

Wow-what a transformation!

Let's Talk Kitchens & Interiors thanked Melissa Pace
  • PRO
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Melissa, it certainly is a huge change from the original space!

• Kate
    4 years ago

Too busy for me

• PRO
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your feedback Kate. It is certainly not everyone's style or taste but it suits the homeowners perfectly.

• PRO
    Emily Lancuba
    4 years ago

omg how is that still the same kitchen.... black kitchens are SO popular right now. i love the cabinets!!!

Let's Talk Kitchens & Interiors thanked Emily Lancuba
  • Betty Weaver
    4 years ago

This an incredible transformation! The homeowners must be so happy with this! Everyone has their own styles, we must respect that and just be excited for one another. I hate when I see negative commentary. Congrats Let's Talk Kitchens & Interiors, you must have very happy clients!!!

• PRO
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Betty. Our goal for every project is to exceed our clients expectations and the best reward is to see how thrilled they are with their finished spaces.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

Sorry but I can't find anything to love in this kitchen and it certainly isn't meant to be in a beautiful 1912 Federation house. you say the owners love it so that's all that matters

• Betty Weaver
    4 years ago

Wow! @siriuskey Did you not learn if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it? Peace, love and happiness everyone!

• PRO
    Annabel Sullivan
    4 years ago

Love this!

• PRO
    Andrew's Builders
    4 years ago

Wow! Can't believe the transformation! Great work

• PRO
    Corrin Lacey
    4 years ago

LOVE the splashback! Very on-trend with the floor tiles too

• PRO
    Demo Account
    4 years ago

SO beautiful!!! Amazing work!

• dreamer
    4 years ago

Incredible transformation, but wayyyyy to shiny and busy for me.
    The original was warm and inviting. This is my opinion. If a post is made to this site, then we are allowed to comment. Be it negative or positive, it is our personal opinion. Everyone's opinion or likes, are worth the same as the next person.

• dreamer
    4 years ago

I have realised, it is the tiled floor that is causing me not to be happy with this transformation. But, if the owner is happy, that is the best thing.

• robandlyn
    4 years ago

My opinion is that it should have either had the busy floor and a plain splashback or a plain floor and the busy splashback. It's a combination of too many busy patterns competing with each other that doesn't work. Once again, just a personal opinion:)

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    4 years ago

Seriously? Lack of understanding of the authentic original period architecture. This is neither fish nor fowl and so overcooked. Less is more people. The best results in renovations/refit scenarios are always those that are inherently sympathetic, taking cues from the existing space or original style, and tying in. It can be successful taken either in a contemporary direction or restoring accurately, BUT regardless of what it is it needs to be BALANCED, rather than the mess like here which is a case of arbitrarily applying an excess of random foreign design and style elements. People (including interior pros) need to stop trying to be "on trend" for the sake of it or thinking we must have "features' or 'hero' elements. Sometimes the best and most clever architectural results are those that promote LESS attention to it......but enduring and classic outcomes requires subtlety and capacity to confidently filter stylistic choices without being influenced by the noise of the latest interiors magazine or Pinterest post.

• PRO
    Anthea Studios
    4 years ago

This looks insane! You've brought on a whole new level of class to this space. These homeowners are incredibly lucky!

• bobhenderson
    4 years ago

Paul di Stefano - you are right. It is overkill. The thing is that I can understand where they are coming from. If you have a bottomless pocket, old houses tend to encourage glam and excess. I used to be all Scandi mod. Now that I live in a Fed beauty, I find the house wants to be filled up with warmth and objects that ooze indulgence (within reason). If I was a rich as them, I would be going mad on the Carrara marble I am sure. My current strategy is to put stuff in that can be removed easily in case I have a change of heart.

• Laura Beaupeurt
    4 years ago

The original kitchen looked old fashioned with all that wood. It would be interesting to see how the new kitchen ‘fit’ with the rest of the living space. If the owners are happy,that’s all that matters regardless of what anyone else may think.

4 years ago

Yoiks, it confuses my eye and mind. Sort of smoke and mirrors.

• PRO
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone for your comments and input. What is evident from the range of comments is that style is very personal and not everyone is going to love the same things. It's nice to have a range of opinions and I'm glad our post has started such a robust conversation.

• Rochelle
    4 years ago

Great transformation! We all have different tastes, but I’m sure the owners loved seeing their previously dull and drab home brought to life.

• PRO
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Rochelle. They sure did!