houzzaupolls

POLL: How do you keep your home cool in summer?

HouzzAU Polls
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

With Australia heading into summer, an unrelenting period of heat and dryness, we often look to our homes to keep us cool. Frustratingly, many cooling solutions come at a price, so we've listed some handy tips on keeping your summer electricity bill down, here.

Vote for your favourite cooling solution below and tell us how it keeps your home cool.

Grosvenor · More Info

Air conditioning (split/ducted/portable)
Fan (ceiling/portable)
Thermal insulation
Opening windows (fresh air)
Dehumidifier
Closing your blinds (blackout shades/insulating blinds)
Nothing - our home doesn't get hot in summer
Nothing - our home gets hot and we deal with it
Other - tell us in the comments

Comments (29)

• oklouise
    4 years ago

orientation and shade

• PRO
    Olivia Stuckey
    4 years ago

@oklouise i wish i had the luxury of being able to change the orientation of my home, but unfortunately I have to resort to a fan and fresh air haha

• Related Discussions

How do I design my living room around this chandelier?

Q

Comments (22)
    As chookchook said in her recommendation about painting, put a drop cloth on the floor. Get a very safe ladder. remove the lightbulbs, and cover the outlets. Turn off the electricity to the chandelier. Then spray it with a mild cleaner (I use one I found at Target that's basically water with vinegar, until it's dripping wet. Start at the bottom and work your way up, so you don't have dirty spray dripping on the bottom of the chandelier.Work your way up and down until the dripping spray is clean. The chandelier may be gorgeous and expensive, but it seems totally out of place in the architecture of the room--more at home in a chalet than a sunny room with a window wall. I would probably try to find a way to get it removed, and sell it to someone who appreciated it better than I.
    ...See More

Building a new house - kitchen help please

Q

Comments (40)
    We got the IKEA shelves that are pictured in the butlers pantry photo I posted when we were on holiday in Melbourne, Australia. We don't have IKEA here in New Zealand! Hubby is going back over in May/June so will get him to get more of that sort of thing when there. We would pay about 4x the price for that sort of thing here in NZ. I need to work out what I will do now where the fridge was and there is the angle change (does that make sense?).
    ...See More

What colours do I use?

Q

Comments (57)
    Hi anne, that's what I was originally thinking, my issue is what colour I use for the 'pop' :) I keep coming back to a teal/turquoise colour (it's one of my favourite colours!!), I love blues, purples, teal/turquoise - many on here have suggested yellow but I'm really not sure about it. Here in New Zealand we're in Autumn, nearing Winter so uncertain about the yellow. I found these cushions that I've fallen in love it, and wondering how I could make these work.. do I try teal and mustard together, as an interior designer suggested?
    ...See More

Need inspiration for newly-bought home – help!!!!!

Q

Comments (11)
    Yes to all those ideas. I believe your cladding is unpainted concrete bricks (is it called Summerhill Stone?) in that (boring) fawn colour. My house is same but was painted by previous owners. It looks so much more up to date and the surface is lasting very well; no signs of peeling or flaking. So despite needing to maintain a painted surface, I think painting is the way to go. Alternative is a costly plaster job. Then the entrance - yes, wide generous steps onto a wide deck or patio, some vertical or horizontal slatted panels for protection or privacy as needed, clear roofing for protection and to allow light to the rooms. And paint the front door a vivid color to indicate the entrance. Just make this area feel generous! Dependent on the adjacent rooms and which direction the house faces opening up one or more of those windows into sliders or stackers would be great. Plants in big pots are good too, add colour and texture - and you already have some there. Good luck - I love the idea of turning an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan!
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Protek window tinting & blinds
    4 years ago

Window tinting with a good solar film which can also offer improved glass insulation for heat retention for the colder periods as well as adding privacy if required without closing blinds /curtains etc and offers good fade protection /glare reduction and glass security all in the one packaging .
    Added ceiling fan offers an added benefit for both summer and winter months and cost effective way to circulate the air flow as open windows can be problematic at times where security and noise is a factor

• ddarroch
    4 years ago

Like oklouise said, the home's orientation. Wish it was on the poll (not just "our home doesn't get hot". As orientation plays such a big part in keeping a home cool in summer (& warm in winter), & lowering energy bills.

• Kate
    4 years ago

I’m in Melbourne so evaporative gives me option of just running fan and leaving on auto overnight so it turns off as outside air cools, it also needs windows open so you get airflow. But i also close blinds to keep out sun, and have been upping insulation as we renovate. Bedroom s on south side so they stay cooler allowing a warmer thermostat setting

• PRO
    Fremantle Door and Window Company
    4 years ago

When changing the orientation of your home is not an option: Louvre Windows might be!
    Louvres are designed to admit air and light while maintaining privacy and to keep the rain, direct sun and noise out. Galleries consist of adjustable, angled horizontal blades allowing a wider opening than a standard window ensuring Maximum airflow.
    Blades that are made from an Obscure E or Low E Solar Glass are energy efficient, minimising need for air conditioning which means you save money cooling your home.
    "Can I leave them open at night? What about flies and mosquitoes?"
    I am glad to hear you ask.
    A security mesh can be fitted to the Louvre galleries to ensure your pets remain indoors and insects remain outdoors without reducing your visibility, making them safe for open nights.
    One final reason to consider Louvres an option for your home is they look great and are currently on trend, thus adding value to your home.

• Sara Graham
    4 years ago

In our new place (move in November) orientation, insulation, external shading, ceiling fans and cross ventilation with aircon for extreme days, powered by solar panels. Aircon installed for heating in winter as we are all electric and it’s the most efficient form of heating.
    In our current place, aircon and fans and icypoles.

• Kim G
    4 years ago

We can't change our home's orientation, or grow trees very quickly, so instead, we've used external shading. It's done wonders for us.

We live above Palm Springs, California, and when we moved here, I noticed a lot of homes and businesses had "sun sails" up. I didn't even know they were called sun sails! They looked like colorful, angular tarps, essentially.

I used Amazon reviews to find ones that lasted a long time, and we set them up over our east and west facing windows. They actually look nice on the home. The difference is immediate. Shading the exterior of our east facing windows resulted in our home staying about 10 degrees F cooler. We added ones on the west, and extended them over an area of the house with inadequate insulation. You can feel the difference on the inside of the shaded portion of exterior wall. The shaded windows also stay much, much cooler. They are metal, double pane, but without the sun sails they become burning hot to touch. With the sun sails up, you can leave your hand touching the metal.

This solution was very affordable, and our sun sails have lasted three seasons so far, in extreme winds as well as sun. Although 10F degrees difference may not seem like much, it is for us. Our region hits 115F (over 46C) several times each summer, and is consistently over 105F. Every degree counts when you are in an area that gets over 100F.

• debraewood
    4 years ago

We have generous eaves, proper orientation, window tinting, double glazing, excellent insulation, outside drop blinds where there are large areas of glass that cop most of the morning and daytime sun in summer, inside blinds plus curtains on most of the windows, cross ventilation in most rooms, Dyson fans for the bedrooms and living areas. Installed refrigerated air-conditioning with solar power. We also have large blinds to pull out over the outside decks, which does keep the house cooler. I didn't put in ceiling fans, as the house has very high ceilings and I didn't want to have to climb ladders to clean them in my old age.

• PRO
    Rowlands Architecture Design Studio
    4 years ago

Start with orientation and good passive techniques using thermal mass and ventilation (if you are designing a new space). Only resort to mech in the extreme conditions during heat waves etc.

• Sars
    4 years ago

A flawed poll as you should be using multiple of these options. Good orientation if a new build, shading trees, double glazed thermally broken windows, window coverings, insulating correctly, fans, airflow, and for those really hot days a split system air con.

• PRO
    Olivia Stuckey
    4 years ago

@Sars I believe the poll is asking what your favourite option is not which one do you use in your home. But I agree, many options should be used together to create an effective cooling system in the home

• User
    4 years ago

Tips for keeping cool: If you're installing air conditioning, ensure the unit is not under-dimensioned. If the recommended capacity is borderline between one size or the next, opt for the larger capacity unit. The initial outlay for the smaller unit may be less but it will cost in the long run. A larger unit won't struggle as much, particularly on very hot days. The longevity of the unit will be improved, and running costs will be less.

To improve efficiency and minimise the running costs of your AC unit, it's important to clean the filters regularly. It's very easy, but if you're unsure check a 'how to' post on YouTube.

Set the temp at 24C. If you're uncomfy, increase the fan speed before lowering the temperature setting. Increased air flow will make you feel cooler, and it's cheaper than making the air con achieve a lower temp. If it's not overly hot, try the fan only mode. It may be all you need to feel comfortable.

If you have a ducted evaporative system and it's cooling effect has declined, the pads may need replacing. It can make a huge difference!

If you engage an architect to design your ideal home, insist that they consult with an air conditioning professional/qualified refrigeration mechanic. Many modern, flat roof designs fail to include sufficient space in the roof cavity for AC duct work and fan motors. This leaves the owner with the added expense of customized, external, metal ductwork. Or the expense and visual impact of multiple split systems.

Happy summer, everyone!

• ibissue
    4 years ago

Agree, flawed poll. Orientation, insulation, trees, shade structures are the basis..... ceiling fans are fundamental in summer. Air con used in specific room very rarely...... mainly on those hot humid February nights.

• PRO
    Somfy Australia
    4 years ago

Shading your home during the day to keep the heat out is an energy efficient way of cooling your home during summer. By motorising your blinds, curtains, awnings or shutters, you can set them to a schedule to open and close at set times, or use temperature sensors, so they can lower when the temperature outside reaches a certain threshold!

• suancol
    4 years ago

avoid ducting systems since they keep your attic area more liveable thus wasting cooling and heating. use a through the wall system which cools the immediate room than has a flow on effect to other areas. Plan new homes with closing off ability to cool or heat one area vs whole house.

• User
    4 years ago

Hi suancol,

I think the type of air conditioner you’re referring to as “through the wall system” is a split system; sometimes called a wall hung split. Ducted systems and split systems both have their own pros and cons.

If cooling or heating your entire home is your main priority and initial cost isn’t really a problem then a ducted air conditioner is the better option. Whilst there is some heat transfer through the ductwork located in the ceiling cavity, it doesn’t blow air into the cavity to make it “liveable”. There’s something wrong if it does. To minimise the loss or gain of heat through your ductwork, ensure it is of high quality with a high insulation rating.

A ducted unit will have one outdoor unit and flat, unobtrusive, ceiling mounted vents/outlets, or smart looking linear slot diffusers in each room. If a ducted system is dimensioned, zoned, and operated correctly, it can achieve comparable running costs to a split system.

If you only need 1 or 2 rooms air conditioned, then properly dimensioned split systems can do the job. Unless it’s a multi-head unit, you will need space for an outdoor unit for each split system, and a boxy wall mounted unit inside each room. Multiple units means multiple running costs and multiple maintenance costs.

Depending on the installation type required for the split system, you may also have a visible pipe run on the wall, enclosed in conduit. It may also need a condensate pump to ensure water doesn’t drip into the room; which is an added expense.

A cooling/heating flow on effect to other rooms is possible from a split system, but the effectiveness depends on the location of the indoor unit, the room sizes and their proximity, and where their doorways are in relation to the AC. The unit will need to be over-dimensioned (ie, have a larger kW capacity) than required for the room in which it is located. Otherwise, the unit will constantly struggle to achieve the set temperature, run more often, cost more to run, and ultimately reduce the lifespan of the unit.

Closing off parts of the house has advantages and disadvantages as well. If you’re not going to use those rooms, fine. But if you come home to a 40C bedroom, with a split system located in a different room, it will take a long time and significant power to reach comfort level, if it does at all.

The best advice is to seek advice from a professional, qualified refrigeration mechanic to properly assess the options and required capacity of the unit.

If your ducted system, or that of a friend, is achieving a “liveable” temperature in the roof space, I suggest the unit needs a service, including a thorough inspection of the ductwork for leaks or tears.

• singwell
    4 years ago

I live in Qld so I have painted my roof & house white to reflect sun & put in solar powered roof fans to extract hot air from roof cavity as well as good insulation, this has made a big difference & I get many comments about how cool our home is.

• User
    4 years ago

Thanks, singwell. We’re looking at systems to extract hot air from the roof cavity but we were wondering how effective they’d be. Our roof cavity gets so hot, hot water comes from the cold tap. A couple of whirlie birds is proving totally useless. If you don’t mind me asking, who makes your system?

• Belle
    4 years ago

Our roller shutters protect us from harsh weather elements. Never fails. The shutters keep our home cool during the summer and warm during winter. Plus points for keeping clouds of dust out.

• PRO
    3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
    4 years ago

If all fails then grab a hose and spray the walls and roof.. it will cool down quickly.. check water restrictions first

• singwell
    4 years ago

Hi Dm Stan,

My solar roof fan is made by “Sola Tube” & yes that’s the correct spelling, its very effective but not cheap it’s now 5yrs old & it’s still going fine, we’re very happy with it along with the good insulation

• User
    4 years ago

Thanks, singwell. After your thumbs up, I think we’ll revisit the idea. The promotional material on the extraction systems claims they can reduce the roof cavity temp by as much as 30C. That has to be worth it. Ta!

• User
    4 years ago

Yes

• PRO
    Protek window tinting & blinds
    4 years ago

Further to some previous comments I’ve made over the past few years on various subject matters ; anyone that would like some further detailed information on the subject on sun control window insulation films as an option to consider for improving both heat loss and heat gains through windows ( also referred too as window tinting and / or glass tinting ) , including glass security /glare control / fade protection and decorative glass treatments etc can check out some articles I had printed in the “ The Owner Builder “ magazine no’s 180 & 181 ( Dec-Feb 2013-2914 editions )
    It may help those understand a little better the product for those having various issues, such as this present subject matter on cooling methods , in this comment section .
    As others have mentioned, one product may not solve all their particular problem/s and quite often more than one product / solution may often be required to obtain a better outcome .
    I’ve found a lot of problems start initially with overall buildings design , orientation and the amount of glass / windows used and their sizes /design and type / amount of insulation used overall .
    Having been in the window tinting industry for
    about 38 years now and covering both domestic and commercial buildings , I’ve noticed how the weather patterns changed to an extent that the solutions/ products that may have been available / used some 30 odd years ago ; now have new and updated products / solutions on offer .
    One can email me for further advice to clarify some issues . Although I’m a Tasmanian based business, I’ve lived and worked all around Australia and spent over 5-1/2 years in north Qld so do have some experience living in different climates .

• PRO
    Coldstream Services
    4 years ago

Air conditioners have become an essential item for many homeowners who are finding the summer hotter and winter colder. Ducted air conditioning is one of the best and most practical ways to cool your entire home during in summer. Ducted air conditioning throughout your home can provide you with many benefits. These systems use alot less internal space (you don’t have systems hanging on the wall) so its much better for aesthetic purposes. Energy efficiency, quiet to run, durability and the ability to control the temperature in individual rooms are all advantages of a ducted air conditioning system.For those deciding between ducted and a split system, ducted is beneficial for those wanting to cool the entire home rather than one or two particular areas. Installation of a ducted system does cost more in comparison to a split system, however this is due to a more complex installation that takes more time and planning.

• PRO
    MollyCoy
    4 years ago

We designed our (north facing, small) house so the summer sun stops short of the wall of windows and the winter sun comes right through to the back of the living room, heating the tiled floor until the wood fire takes over. We have one (reversible) fan and no aircon. All works perfectly well.

• biscuit_bandit
    4 years ago

Opening our windows at night and closing them in the morning