jeremy_hunter60

Thoughts on my preliminary floorplan..

Jeremy Hunter
4 years ago

Hi Houzz'zz,

Would love some constructive criticism on my preliminary floorplan sketch. Will be meeting up with my building designer in 2 weeks to go through them.

House is on a 1 acre block with a rear north facing aspect. Roof design is a flat skillion with a raised section above the kitchen and living areas which will incorporate high north facing windows.

Any design tweaks would be appreciated.

Thanks Jeremy

Comments (10)

• oklouise
    4 years ago

describe your climate and the block of land, how many people will be living in the house or staying overnight regularly, do you have any preference for the size of rooms or limits to size of the whole house??......my first suggestion would be to reconsider including the garage in the main building as a separate garage with a connecting covered walkway and/or enclosed courtyard can provide some outdoor shelter and more intimate spaces and can take advantage of the large site better than a house suited to a suburban block

• Kate
    4 years ago

Aim all beds on cooler south side, study bigger and on north side, laundry bigger, third toilet more accessible or delete.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

I can't can't see any dimensions and the whole plan is dark to look at, can you please repost

• dreamer
    4 years ago

Hi Jeremy,
    I like your design. Just two things. Your wonderful ensuite is on the west side. This may get very hot in the afternoon into evening. (If you are in a hot climate)
    And do not use a cavity slider from garage into home. Use a solid core, hinged door. This is to stop heat and fumes from vehicles, and also as security. Thanks.

• dreamer
    4 years ago

Maybe swap media and office, with the master suite. Then have entrance from garage into the office on the north wall of garage.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

without extra information like dimensions it's difficult to make comment except why is the lounge and TV squished into the corner and not balanced in the room, you already have a Media room joining the kitchen family

• oklouise
    4 years ago

this version of your plan using average sized rooms includes a distinctive join (shown as a thicker wall between the three sections) to make easier construction of the skillion roof over living area with simple gable roofs over the bedroom wings and a porch at the front door

• Jeremy Hunter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks all for your feedback.

My partner and myself have taken a few things/alot on board and have move things around a touch to suit the block also giving us more of a private master wing.
    I'm sure this will be one of many revisions.

I will be sure to post the next review when done, which will be alot easier to interpret and will include dimensions.

Once again thanks. JH

• PRO
    Eco Building Services
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Will wait until you post the updated plans but in the meantime, just wanted to let you know that if you are planning to install floor to ceiling tiles in your wet areas, then you cant install cavity sliders as they are not structural and you are unable to install tiles to a cavity slider. the work around is to build a secondary structural wall adjacent if you really need a cav slider to save space

Brisbane Builder