mcmillan_design

Before & after: A multi-purpose living room

McMillan Design
6 months ago
last modified: 6 months ago

The key requirement for this project was to create a stylish, multi-purpose living room and home office. The existing space was dark, cluttered and overdue for a refresh, but had ample space for a multi-functional layout. The space needed to accommodate a living area to unwind and watch TV, a space to relax with a good book and a cup of coffee and an area for a functional home office.

At first glance, there was so much potential for this space!

Before Photo: Living Room

Before Photo: Home Office

WHAT DID WE DO?

The most important request the client had was to make sure the space worked well as a home office AND a living space to de-stress and unwind. To achieve this, we used a soft, neutral colour scheme to create a relaxed and refreshing feeling. It created a perfect harmony with the natural bush surroundings adding soft, muted tones into the mix.

We decided on light wooden floors to brighten the space and made sure the furnishings (such as linen cushions, throws and woven rugs) were textured, adding warmth and comfort. The bespoke joinery also created an office space that wasn’t cluttered or intimidating and connects seamlessly with the living area.

After Photo: Living Area

More importantly, the floor plan had to be practical so the space could still feel zoned for different uses while still being flowing and integrated into the space. Stylish furniture and harmonious colours tied everything together to make sure it all looked and felt connected.

After Photo: Home Office & Living Space

The results speak for themselves! We’re so thrilled with this interior renovation. What do you like most about the project? Leave us a comment below.

• Kate
    6 months ago

Love the green chairs , go well with the floors. I assume they got rid of all the items in The bookcases. Decluttering always makes things look bigger

McMillan Design thanked Kate
    Best Answer
  • PRO
    Re Speck Property Group
    6 months ago

BEAUTIFUL

• PRO
    McMillan Design
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Hi Kate - yes, they did do a big clean up, but also we added a full height cupboard and under bench storage in the office area for all the messy stuff!

• Linda Curry
    6 months ago

I have a TV in front of a window as in the original photos. I’m wondering what was done with that end of the room.

McMillan Design thanked Linda Curry
  • 544556576578909
    6 months ago

Beautiful colours throughout the space, simple and not over powering. I love how the space just feels so much bigger and relaxing! Definitely much easier to get work done in such a zen space.

McMillan Design thanked 544556576578909
  • PRO
    McMillan Design
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Hi Linda - we gave that end of the room a facelift by painting the window trims plus new artwork and decor, but kept the entertainment unit and TV in the same place.

• PRO
    Susannah & Co Interior Design
    6 months ago

I love the work station next to the window. Beautiful!

McMillan Design thanked Susannah & Co Interior Design
  • PRO
    Anthea Studios
    6 months ago

More of a bright and open feel you've brought to the space. Love the styling too!

McMillan Design thanked Anthea Studios
  • Kath Berg
    6 months ago

It does look beautiful. If the computer is used during daylight hours it should be positioned at a right angle to the window. And I did like how the low bookshelf acted as a divider between the home office and the living room (if I've interpreted the photos correctly).

McMillan Design thanked Kath Berg
  • Claudette
    6 months ago

It looks good....but photos taken from the same angles for before and after helps us see the change better.

McMillan Design thanked Claudette
  • Jennifer Bradley
    6 months ago

I particularly like the colours.

McMillan Design thanked Jennifer Bradley
  • PRO
    Kevin N
    6 months ago

Looks great

McMillan Design thanked Kevin N
  • Jo
    6 months ago

The rugs are from where please?

McMillan Design thanked Jo
  • PRO
    McMillan Design
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Hi Jo - the rugs are from Armadillo & Co...they have a beautiful range!

• dreamer
    6 months ago

I would be interested to see a photo of what the office space looks like today. The interior renovation is great, and looks wonderful. But, the clients went from two computers/monitors, a laptop, chairs, printer to a single computer. Did someone move out of the room?

McMillan Design thanked dreamer
  • PRO
    McMillan Design
    Original Author
    6 months ago

hi there - nope, no-one moved out! Just better organised :-) There is still space for two people to work and the printer now lives in the new cupboard... here's a photo my client took of the space recently.