webuser_347006448

Laminex Silk or natural finish in White

Doone Hodgins
4 years ago

I am in a dilemma whether to use the silk or natural finish laminex on my white kitchen cabinetry? Is the silk finish too glossy?..even though it is described as semi gloss? Is the silk finish comparable to a Two pac satin finish? Any thoughts appreciated? Pro's and cons of cleaning each. Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

• Creativelychallenged
    4 years ago

Have you asked Lameness to send you a bigger sample of each via post

• Doone Hodgins
    4 years ago

Thank you so much. I ll try to find a large display using the silk finish laminex finishes

• PRO
    THE JOINERY STORE
    4 years ago

No, the silk finish is not comparable to Satin 2-pac. Also when comparing surface materials, 2-pac, vinyl and melamine all require the same technical properties to be suitable for the application. (All typically scratch at <2N pressure). 2-pac is more prone to chipping than the other two options however but gives a smoother more aesthetic finish. It is marketed as a higher-end product as it involves more labour. For this reason it is common for companies to upsell 2-pac polyurethane over more affordable materials.

Now with that said, the melamine will have a glued edge-tape around it. Whilst modern edge banders can achieve a very low profile join, you may be able to see it. Especially in white.

The 'Natural' finish in Laminexes melamine range is their standard matt finish and therefore comparable to satin in 2-pac. However for an ultra-matt finish you could try their absolute matte product as mentioned above. This is more fingerprint resistant and of course, more expensive.

Ultimately you should view the options in person then select that which is most appealing to you within your budget.

Hope that helps :)

• Doone Hodgins
    4 years ago

Thank you .. I have picked up an absolute Matt sample . Will just need to do a price comparison to the prices I have in the 2-pac and the natural laminex range .

• HU-412974453
    3 years ago

Hi Doone....I have the same dilemma! Just wondering what finish you’ve gone for and are you happy with it? Leaning towards silks in polar white but not sure.