webuser_815272748

cooker in chimney hearth regulation woes

HU-815272748
4 years ago

Hi, we are halfway through renovating our kitchen. We plan to put a freestand cooker in the old chimney hearth but the 650mm clearance needed above the stove means we need to chop out some of the top of the chimney.
We’ve measured and can get away with shaving a bit off the bottom to the blue lines (see photo) or we could try to go all out and chop much higher (this would require a builder to check load bearings etc.) Has anyone had this experience?
We also need to find a rangehood that can be fitted into the chimney. The third photo is the inside of the chimney.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    4 years ago

They would be quite restrictive when cooking. This is why I designed an old chimney as a pantry..... however you could go with a wall ovens, microwave, etc. type of fit out rather than a freestanding cooker. Have the cooktop and range elsewhere.

• oklouise
    4 years ago

is there any space to lower the floor without compromising new flooring or height of cooker or could you have an oven in a different location and install only the cooktop in the chimney? ...years ago we were able to install an industrial strength exhaust fan inside a chimney without a range hood but discuss with your electrician before assuming modern standards ... i would prefer the cooker in a different location as the chimney is uncomfortable to work at, difficult to clean and install electrical wiring and subject to invasion by possums

• HU-815272748
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately it’s the only place I can put the oven so I’m stuck with that.

• oklouise
    4 years ago

then enlarging the opening to allow space for the clearance and a range hood would be the most complicated but safest option (NB keep in mind new flooring height as well) ..best of luck with your choices

• bigreader
    4 years ago

I’ve pulled out two similar chimneys. I love preserving original features but sometimes the compromises are too great. If it doesn’t have a full chimney external to the roof ie just a metal vent, it is relatively easy to pull down.

• Kate
    4 years ago

Remove the whole lot

• oklouise
    4 years ago

congratulations, well worth all the effort, well done!!

• me me
    4 years ago

Wow, that does look amazing.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

Love it so worth keeping