lance_walker91

Outswing entry door in courtyard - health and safety?

Lance Walker
3 years ago

Is an outswing entry door that when in an open position blocks access to a small terrace sitting area classified as a defect?

Comments (10)

• robin0919
    3 years ago

You need to find out what is code.

• User
    3 years ago

I gather this is a new build ? I wouldn't think it is health and safety , but if you can't get at a terrace area , it may be a design fault , and the builder or developer ( whoever you have the contract with ) should fix it . If you have a plan that shows a terrace area , and you now can't use it , it is possibly a breach of consumer laws , not to mention common sense .

Without seeing it , they possibly should have swung the door the other way .

• differentways
    3 years ago

can it be swung the other way?

• Lance Walker
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, it is a new build and the contract is with a developer. The door has been hung according to an early floor plan. A later virtual inspection video shows the door hung on the other side. When the door is open at 90 degree angle to the wall it blocks access to the terrace area. The door could be hung the other way...

• User
    3 years ago

Have you approached the developer ?

• differentways
    3 years ago

I would ask to have it re hung at their expense as it doesn't work and makes them look bad.

• Lance Walker
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have asked the developer but they are not admitting that it is a mistake/defect and seem to be positioning that changing the door would be a variation to the Specifications (probably because then I would have to pay) ...

• differentways
    3 years ago

did you sign the plan, this is where Houzz can be very helpful picking up detailed faults, do you want to share the name of the company maybe this will encourage them to fix what is an obvious oversight

• Lance Walker
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It is a villa at ground level in a new apartment block nearing completion on the Gold Coast. The developer is well known and the builder is a tier 2 construction company.

• differentways
    3 years ago

well it obviously doesn't work like it should they should fix it if they are a worthwhile company good luck