sarahmwasyluk

plantation shutters for 900mm wife windows.. one or two panels?

Sarah P
3 years ago

My windows in the living area are 1800mm wide (so 2x 900mm windows together) and I need to organise shutters however I’m torn whether to go one or two panels. Husband spoke to the installer who said 1 panel per window looks better (discussed support needed and type to make sure no warping/sagging etc etc so don’t need advice on that) just concerned that one panel per window will just look similar to venetians and not have the same effect as having two panels per window? (So essentially two wide panels side by side or 4 thinner ones)

Also.. with minimal space either side of windows, I think we won’t be able to open them?! Please give me advice.. I don’t think we will really ever open them and the view outside is just the neighbours fence, but worried if this would be a massive issue?

Blurry pic of our windows for reference;

Comments (12)

• bigreader
    3 years ago

I’d go two panels. Think it will look better and will be a bit easier to open if you ever need to.

• Sarah P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So you mean 2 smaller panels either side? So 4 on this big window?

• dreamer
    3 years ago

I would do 4 panels. Also there would be no reason to open the shutters, unless to clean the window. You would tilt the shutter blades to the desired angle for sunlight.

• Sarah P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@dreamer thanks for your comment. May I ask why the 4 panels? Do you think this would block more light than just doing two? Thanks :)

• dreamer
    3 years ago

You have a good size window. My suggestions for four panels, is each 450mm wide inclusive of framing.
    This would not block the light, you can move the shutters to any angle, up down straight. And you don't have a view.
    I have a 2700mm high set window, this has six 450mm shutters. It lets plenty of light in. I have taken a photo with shutters closed, and then the left hand set opened straight, then completely open. Hopefully it gives you an idea, just with my small window.

• Kate
    3 years ago

Are they 1800 they look 1500?

• dreamer
    3 years ago

@Sarah P DO you want to block the light or let the light in?
    When the shutters are closed, no or minimal light will come in. When the shutters are open you can have as much light as you require.

• User
    3 years ago

Assuming all your windows are similar in height to the one in the picture ( taller than they are wide ) I'd personally do just 2 panels . If you really wanted , you could even ask for a solid 'narrow beam' down the middle so they look almost like 4 sections .

If you hinge them twice , and have 4 sections across each window , it will be quite fiddly , and maybe this makes me lazy , but why purposely make something that needs 3 or 4 fastenings at the top , another 3 or 4 at the base , and special holders to hold them firm when they are opened . Wide plantation blinds , with a catch each side , is all it needs .

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Why would you fold back the shutters and open up. You can get the same amount of light by tilting the blade.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

There is no view. Apart from a fence.

• Abby Lim
    3 years ago

I recommend crimsafe brisbane, they customized windows and manufacture for all shapes, sizes, and types of windows. Secure your family, home & possession with style.