louiefl

Mismatched exposed aggregate

louiefl
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I had an exposed aggregate driveway laid 5 years ago. I recently removed part of my front fence to widen the driveway and was hoping that matching the existing aggregate wouldn't prove too difficult. I had the name of the original exposed aggregate and the company which supplied it. The concreter went with the name and laid it. I knew it wouldn't be exactly the same as time and weather changes things, as well as mixes change somewhat, but I wasn't expecting it to look so very different. The original had a beige colour in the cement mix. The new one is "off white" which really looks very grey. I am devastated at the difference. I'm so upset I just want to rip it all up and start again; not that I have the money to do that, or know whether anyone would do such a labour intensive job. Can anyone offer a solution or advice on how to get it to look closer to the original colour?

Comment (1)

• oklouise
    3 years ago

so disappointing for you but i was told that it's almost impossible to match new and old aggregate and with a similar situation i've been thinking about cutting a wider join and laying bricks along the gap and around the edges of both slabs to emphasise the difference and make it look like it was meant to happen... much like the mixed paving in a Japanese garden but other issues have delayed any action and i've learned to accept the difference although i have discovered that for a scratch or chip in the aggregate you can glue the stones back on and make an almost seamless patch but, even if you could paint your concrete and expose the gravel again, the gravel mix will always be slightly different but will be very interested in any suggestions